Thread: Gear Question

Spyder Garage

Default Gear Question

I purchased a new 2018 spyder rtl that I will be picking up in a couple months. Looking at jackets and have a question. Adv/touring jackets appear to come in just over the waist and longer. With the upright seating on an rt will the longer coat just get under you or bunch up around the waist. Looking for recommendations.
    Thanks, Jeff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question Jeff, and congrats on your RTL, keep us posted on how you like it. Were you riding a 3 wheeler before the RTL? Plan some serious touring?

Spyder Garage

My Firstgear Kilimanjaro does not.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Most have some form of attachment to matching tour pants fitting like coveralls, some breathing room but nothing fluttering in wind if that's the worry.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have found that if I wear a jacket that just comes to my belt level, it tends to ride up above the seat back (and my considerable muffin top) leaving an area above my waist exposed. A longer jacket does not do that and is better, at least for me...... Good luck and congrats on the new ride..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    I purchased a new 2018 spyder rtl that I will be picking up in a couple months. Looking at jackets and have a question. Adv/touring jackets appear to come in just over the waist and longer. With the upright seating on an rt will the longer coat just get under you or bunch up around the waist. Looking for recommendations.
    Thanks, Jeff
    What are you used to riding and wearing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Go long or short. It's the stuff that doesn't cover your hips when standing but extends below the waist that will be disappointing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Tourmaster makes jacket and pants that can be zipped together to prevent the uncomfortable gap. Great product

Spyder Garage

Firstgear and similar brands are all going to have good fitment for riding the Spyder.

With the heat around the Madison area, you might also look into some mesh gear. I don't do special pants in the summer...kevlar jeans are my go to...however, I do have leather chaps and heavyweight/lined pants for the colder weather.

Gear can be expensive...happy hunting to find what is going to work for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies so far. I am trying to support sponsors and take advantage of "pre season sales". We are still in the death throws of winter here 8-10 inches today. Non of the dealers have motorcycle gear out so I am using you guy's for advice. I have budgeted $1,000.ea for my wife and I to get helmet, communicator, jacket and pants. Hoping to get gear that has liners and is waterproof so I only need one set. In the summer we can use summer stuff and keep the actual gear for rain gear I am thinking. Being a snowmobiler I understand how important gear is to comfort and making the day enjoyable.
    Thanks again and if you have any suggestions please post.

Spyder Garage

This is not a sponsor but may be worth a look. You need to scroll through a lot of pages, but the prices are right.
    https://leadersrpmshop.com/clothing-...eatured&page=1

Lin
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am trying to support sponsors and take advantage of "pre season sales". We are still in the death throws of winter here 8-10 inches today. Non of the dealers have motorcycle gear out so I am using you guy's for advice. I have budgeted $1,000.ea for my wife and I to get helmet, communicator, jacket and pants. Hoping to get gear that has liners and is waterproof so I only need one set. In the summer we can use summer stuff and keep the actual gear for rain gear I am thinking. Being a snowmobiler I understand how important gear is to comfort and making the day enjoyable.
    Thanks again and if you have any suggestions please post.
    Your price may be closer to $1500 each if you get good stuff. The helmets and communicators will take a BIG chunk. The upside...you will be good for five years or more. Many dealers have Spring Sales with discounts. So you are almost in the right time frame.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Some great advice and links. Thanks.
    I was looking at some of the can am clothing and the material said nylon, like the cruise jackets. It isn't textile but does any one have any experience with it? I have Ski Doos and the factory clothing is actually pretty good, wondering if the same quality is there for roadsters.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your price may be closer to $1500 each if you get good stuff. The helmets and communicators will take a BIG chunk. The upside...you will be good for five years or more. Many dealers have Spring Sales with discounts. So you are almost in the right time frame.
    If you are looking to buy gear that will last a while you may need to up the budget. We have $2000.00 tied up in helmets and communicators. $1000.00 in Jackets, $600.00 in pants, and $400 in Boots and another $400.00 in gloves for $4400.00.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by starrider60 View Post
    Tourmaster makes jacket and pants that can be zipped together to prevent the uncomfortable gap. Great product
    I have the Tourmaster Sonora Air 2.0 jacket. Love it.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I ride a 2013 Spyder ST for Long Tours and Daily Commuting. The seating position is very upright.
    I wear a FieldSheer 3 season jacket for most rides. Waterproof and detachable liner.
    I also have an OSI Mesh jacket for hot summer jaunts. The OSI is short as it barely reaches to my belt line.
    The FieldSheer is by far more comfortable as it is 3" longer than the OSI.
    Both jackets have armor in the shoulders, back, and elbows.

Good Luck Shopping,
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Check with BajaRon for deals on Jackets and helmets. He is a sponsor here and has very goodprices. Check with motorcycledave on prices for communicators. He is also a sponsor here and has the best prices on Sena.

I have a Kilimanjaro jacket and I love the way it fits. I also like Olympia. Used that until a wreck trashed it. But it did it's job.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze