Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default any ryder interested in smaller front sprocket for belt drive?

i hate this tall first gearing and gotta do something about it.
    i doubt brp has any other sprocket so will have to have them custom made out of billet or something. i was thinking 2 less teeth. i am thinking that will give spyder enough bite for taking off from the line. i will have to talk to ken about this but i don't know how belt adjustment will be made with smaller sprocket or is there enough provision in the belt tension? if more ryders are interested better chance at someone making it i think.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    i hate this tall first gearing and gotta do something about it.
    i doubt brp has any other sprocket so will have to have them custom made out of billet or something. i was thinking 2 less teeth. i am thinking that will give spyder enough bite for taking off from the line. i will have to talk to ken about this but i don't know how belt adjustment will be made with smaller sprocket or is there enough provision in the belt tension? if more ryders are interested better chance at someone making it i think.
    Two teeth is a big jump, from my roadracing experience. I'd look at the diameter change with one, first, and figure the new gear ratio. My guess is that far fewer people would be as interested in this mod as they would a tooth larger front sprocket. Not sure if there is really enough adjustment for either.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I would want a smaller one for better takeoff.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would be interested in a larger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket so I can travel more miles between refueling stops.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shunkmanitu View Post
    >>>>>With the Spyder lower gearing would only cause the TRACTION CONTROL to work harder. Want a quick take off shift you butt several inches aft to get a better grip. My 265 pounds almost on the rear seat will not keep the tire fully planted on most pavement. If I was on a quality drag strip with a good burnout I probably would not spin the tire but for street use the main problem is the need for one more taller gear to put a stock SE over the 130mph mark and get rid of the fifth gear at 55 buzz.
    You really shouldn't be in 5th gear at 55mph in my opinion. I don't even think of 5th until 65mph - otherwise the engine seems to bog down. Heck, you can hit 62mph while still in 1st.

Making the front smaller would only cause more spin on the rear - which is not anything we need on the Spyder. The main thing holding the Spyder back from a quick takeoff is the lack of traction on the rear. 77 ft.lbs of torque is plenty - just need a better way to make that tire hug the pavement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shunkmanitu View Post
    >>>>>so you don't have the ADVANTAGE of the V-2 to use the higher gears? There is plenty of toqure in the V-2 and that is a very good reason for having it. There is nothing wrong with 5th at 55 MPH for normal riding EXCEPT the rough spot that the Rotax has there. If I am in the twisties in that range I would probably be in 4th.
    If that works for you-- great--- but there is a reason there is a 'rough spot' - it's borderline lugging the engine - for sure bogging it down - which generally means you're in the wrong gear. I cruise at 55-65 in 4th gear and keep the RPM's above 5K to avoid any such problems.

For those with the SE5 - I would be interested to know at what MPH on a flat surface does the system decide to downshift from 5th to 4th? I know it's based on actual RPM's - just curious what speed you semi-auto guys are seeing the shift?

Just my .02

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    I would be interested in a larger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket so I can travel more miles between refueling stops.
    Same here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree. Mileage is everything..

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post

Spyder Garage

If you are having difficulty taking off I recommend looking at engine mods and not gearing. Get rid of the airbox or at least get a better flowing filter, better exhaust and feed her some more fuel. You will have no problems with the stock gearing taking off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

For those with the SE5 - I would be interested to know at what MPH on a flat surface does the system decide to downshift from 5th to 4th?
    Just my .02
    The SE5 auto-downshifts in all gears at 2,500 RPM, except 2nd to 1st at 1,500, regardless of velocity or load, as far as I've been able to determine with about 2,000 miles of observing. In 5th gear, 2,500 RPM is ~34.5 mph.

Personally, I believe the 3800 RPM 'rough spot' may be the resonant frequency interaction between the crankshaft and the balance shaft. (but I may be biased because I deal with those kinds of things regularly) I'm at least glad to hear that it is an issue that others have noticed, not just me.
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-17-2009 at 07:09 PM.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
    Personally, I believe the 3800 RPM 'rough spot' may be the resonant frequency interaction between the crankshaft and the balance shaft. (but I may be biased because I deal with those kinds of things regularly) I'm at least glad to hear that it is an issue that others have noticed, not just me.
    Most motorcycles I have ridden have a "rough spot" somewhere in the rpm range. Usually more noticeable when cruising in a higher gear than when accelerating. There can be a number of causes, including the resonant frequency thing you mentioned. Also possible are loose or worn motor mounts, drive belt harmonic vibration (the vibration rpm may change with belt tension), imbalanced carbs or throttle bodies, imbalanced valve clearances (or cam wear on one cylinder), and tire/wheel problems...or it could just be an old Brit bike. All of these seem to have one spot in the rpm range (one road speed) where they are most annoying. With the tuning related issues, you can often move the range to where it is less noticeable by making some minor adjustments.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Agreed... in my case, and I assume it is similar for other Spyder riders also, it is unaffected by gear or road speed, just by RPM - somewhere between 3800 and 3850 as i recall, and much more noticeable when not under heavy acceleration, as you mentioned.
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-17-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    If you are having difficulty taking off I recommend looking at engine mods and not gearing. Get rid of the airbox or at least get a better flowing filter, better exhaust and feed her some more fuel. You will have no problems with the stock gearing taking off.
    i do have ken's race air flow system and leo vince without the baffles.
    spyder accelerates better now but still sluggish off the line. 1 or 2 less teeth should take care of that. i am guessing with 2 less, spyder may do a wheelie if i gave enough gas with my set up

i am still torn between fuel modifier and juicebox or wait for power commander.

but even with fuel management, without the smaller sprocket, i don't think spyder will do i want. i don't want more high end speed or better gas mileage, i want to be quick off the line and willing sacrifice little mpg.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
    The SE5 auto-downshifts in all gears at 2,500 RPM, except 2nd to 1st at 1,500, regardless of velocity or load, as far as I've been able to determine with about 2,000 miles of observing. In 5th gear, 2,500 RPM is ~34.5 mph.

my spyder has developed terrible vibration especially around 3500 rpm and kinda grinding type of vibration between my pegs at low speed along with bad exhaust fume to go with. last two tanks of gas, i've gotten 22 mpg with current tank slightly worse. it was at 65 miles with 3 bars left on fuel gauge when i dropped it off at the dealer...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

oh yea. i dynamatted upper center panel and black side panels and air intake noise from race air flow system was reduced a little. i wanna dynamat the screen on black panels shut but that may reduce airflow in engine compartment...

Spyder Garage

Generally, exhaust fumes mean bad slip joint seals, which could give you bad mileage from the extra air getting in upstream of the O2 sensor, check it out.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    i do have ken's race air flow system and leo vince without the baffles.
    spyder accelerates better now but still sluggish off the line. 1 or 2 less teeth should take care of that. i am guessing with 2 less, spyder may do a wheelie if i gave enough gas with my set up

i am still torn between fuel modifier and juicebox or wait for power commander.

but even with fuel management, without the smaller sprocket, i don't think spyder will do i want. i don't want more high end speed or better gas mileage, i want to be quick off the line and willing sacrifice little mpg.
    Can't speak for the JB - but with my Race airflow setup, fuel pressure mod and O2 mod my Spyder screams off the line - there is no sputter or lag at all. Running pressure @ 62 psi, also runs much better since I added my cold-air intakes. I actually ran the other day without them as a test and the difference was very noticable.

Since you're getting more air in the system using the race airflow - you need to get some more fuel in there! JB or fuel mod should do it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

once the spyder gets rolling it takes off quick but it's the tall gearing that's bothering me off the line. well i will wait til i get spyder back and see how it runs. i installed race air flow and leo vince after spyder developed current symptoms so...we shall see. i may be going to vegas in july when i have some time off to volunteer my spyder for power commander development for spyder. i do like the idea of electronic fuel management but something tells me not to get juice box. i don't know what... also, i have contacted few sprocket manufacturers and we shall see if anyone is willing to jump in.
    driven racing is only 20 minutes away from me so i told them i will volunteer my spyder for the project so hopely they will give it a go.
    if they are willing to make one's with less teeth i am guessing they will make one's with more teeth for you mpg squeezers

Spyder Garage

You really shouldn't be in 5th gear at 55mph in my opinion. I don't even think of 5th until 65mph - otherwise the engine seems to bog down. Heck, you can hit 62mph while still in 1st.
    I got it up near 70 in third - I was chasing after HDX on an on ramp on the parkway. I have to keep it in gear or else I lose time shifting and then I can't find him.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Making the front smaller would only cause more spin on the rear - which is not anything we need on the Spyder. The main thing holding the Spyder back from a quick takeoff is the lack of traction on the rear. 77 ft.lbs of torque is plenty - just need a better way to make that tire hug the pavement.
    my point exactly. thats ridiculously tall first gear.

Spyder Garage

Default I would just be happy having it shift

I would be more than happy if they could get it to shift.