Spyder Garage

Default Tire Comparison Info...

Let me preface this by stating I have been a "sport rider" for all but the last 3 years of my 40 years of riding and am focused solely on performance in dry/damp hot/cold conditions.... Not a rain rider by any stretch of the imagination!

I recently switch from the Federal Formoza AZ01's to the Federal 595EVO's and wanted to share some "back to back" comparison info for anyone struggling to make a decision! I have some injuries that make it very painful to apply "input" to the bars when "at speed" and there is no DPS assistance and am always looking to improve this as well as overall handling cuz I tend to get "into it" when ryding even tho it hurts....

I used the OEM size for both tires, 165/55-15. Both are light-years beyond the OEM Kenda's.... And while the AZ01's were working well, I had the "itch" to know what influence the 595EVO's would have on my F3-S setup (BajaRon bar, Fox Podium 1.5's & 2.0 RC2 with a Kuhmo rear tire, soon to be a Yoko S-Drive). The shocks have 2 turns additional preload from stock setting with the fronts at position 6 for rebound/compression (single adjustment) and the rear at 6 rebound, 16 High Speed/10 Low Speed compression.

The EVO's ratings are pretty much the same as the AZ01's with A ratings for both Traction & Temp, with the AZ01's having a 380 treadwear and the EVO's a 260. Since I am not looking for "tire life" this wasn't a factor for me. I am all about the handling and ease of input, mid-corner input changes and handling at speed. The AZ01's are listed as High Performance and the EVO's as Ultra High Performance on Federal's site.

In a nutshell, the EVO's do everything better than the AZ01's! As stated, they will not last as long as the AZ01's with their lower treadwear rating. Their grip & response is noticeably better tho.... Allowing for higher corner speeds and mid-corner input changes with much less effort for me. I get less nanny intrusion since I don't have to crank in as much input to the bars when cornering. That is until I am really pushing the envelope so to speak.

Hope it helps....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Im considering getting the federal evos for the front. i just put a fresh kumho on the rear. the yokhama will be my next rear tire. i would like to know how the federals handles in the rain or at least wet traction and how many miles people get out of them. those kendas have been on for more than 4 years. It might be time to change them out

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Let me preface this by stating I have been a "sport rider" for all but the last 3 years of my 40 years of riding and am focused solely on performance in dry/damp hot/cold conditions.... Not a rain rider by any stretch of the imagination!

I recently switch from the Federal Formoza AZ01's to the Federal 595EVO's and wanted to share some "back to back" comparison info for anyone struggling to make a decision! I have some injuries that make it very painful to apply "input" to the bars when "at speed" and there is no DPS assistance and am always looking to improve this as well as overall handling cuz I tend to get "into it" when ryding even tho it hurts....

I used the OEM size for both tires, 165/55-15. Both are light-years beyond the OEM Kenda's.... And while the AZ01's were working well, I had the "itch" to know what influence the 595EVO's would have on my F3-S setup (BajaRon bar, Fox Podium 1.5's & 2.0 RC2 with a Kuhmo rear tire, soon to be a Yoko S-Drive). The shocks have 2 turns additional preload from stock setting with the fronts at position 6 for rebound/compression (single adjustment) and the rear at 6 rebound, 16 High Speed/10 Low Speed compression.

The EVO's ratings are pretty much the same as the AZ01's with A ratings for both Traction & Temp, with the AZ01's having a 380 treadwear and the EVO's a 260. Since I am not looking for "tire life" this wasn't a factor for me. I am all about the handling and ease of input, mid-corner input changes and handling at speed. The AZ01's are listed as High Performance and the EVO's as Ultra High Performance on Federal's site.

In a nutshell, the EVO's do everything better than the AZ01's! As stated, they will not last as long as the AZ01's with their lower treadwear rating. Their grip & response is noticeably better tho.... Allowing for higher corner speeds and mid-corner input changes with much less effort for me. I get less nanny intrusion since I don't have to crank in as much input to the bars when cornering. That is until I am really pushing the envelope so to speak.

Hope it helps....
    Air pressures?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the back to back comparison of the Federal Evos and the AZ01s and congratulations Hypurone for finding the best tire for your ryding style and F3S ryde!!
    I also appreciate that the grip and responsiveness come at the tradeoff of treadwear life as you stated.

We are not the aggressive riders that you are and lean towards the longer wearing AZ01s that the wife currently has on her 16 F3T or Kumho KH16s or even the OEM Kenda fronts while they hang in there. Just as everyones ride and riding style is different, so goes the choice of tire characteristics..Glad you're enjoying the Myles of Smyles!!

Since we also lean towards longer life, we have 17 psi on her front tires, and I run around 19 psi on the 15 RT. Just how we ride
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Air pressures?
    I am running them at 18 cold currently.... as a comparison, I needed to run the AZ01's at 20 cold to achieve the best "ease of input to stability ratio" with them that I get at 18 on the 595EVO's.... and even then they came up short.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic