Spyder Garage

Default Summer riding / mesh overpants advice

With the crappy weather I need a little distraction. With that in mind I'm starting my research for some summer mesh overpants. I think I want overpants but willing to look into most anything at this point. Let's say riding will be in the 85 to 95 degree range. Would like some with knee armor.

Any advice on brand or product line I should be looking into?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most mesh overpants feature a wind liner or quilted liner that zips out. Get those ones, they're more versatile than just plain mesh if you should run into rain or wind or cold fronts. Look for full length leg zippers, they make putting on and taking off easy. Generous sized pockets and vents are a good feature. We use Olympia, Scorpion, etc. I think most come with knee and hip armor.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever you do: don't plan on going Commando!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Got it... No commando... just a sec let me put a line through option C... ok still researching. Thanks.

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Firstgear is a good brand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was always impressed by what I saw of BRP's mesh gear also.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have Tourmaster jacket and pants that is mesh with a removeable insulated waterproof liner. While I was happy with it for a while, I think a big mesh jacket with a raincoat and a warm jacket that would fit underneath would be better. I went for a long ride with my Tourmaster jacket with a down puffy underneath that was just as warm as the liners and when not in use the puffy took up a lot less space than the liners. I found a super sale on a Gore-Tex jacket that made it even warmer, though I have not tested that in a heavy rain (fine in a light rain). But that gave me three layers instead of the two with the liner. I previously had one that one that also had a removeable shell plus a water proof liner plus an insulated liner that was simply too bulky. Also it had less mesh and did not breath as well in the summer.

Spyder Garage

Here is my 2 cents worth:

To start out, I ride close to 20K miles each year. I started out with an inexpensive pair of 6th Gear mesh pants. They lasted 1 year and were done. I bought a pair of Tourmaster Caliber pants for cold weather riding. They lasted 2 seasons before the liners gave out. I bought the Olympia Air Mesh 3 overpants and really liked them. The nice thing about them is that you can have them shortened if you have legs on the shorter side like me. I wore them for 4 years and then bought Motoport kevlar mesh overpants. They were custom fit to my measurements. I lost a bunch of weight this past year so I was able to send them in and have them resized to fit. The nice thing about Motoport is that they have a 7 year warranty against defects.

IF you are an occasional rider, I would start with the Olyimpia brand for pants and a jacket. They are excellent quality at a reasonable price. If you are a die hard rider, then take a look at Motoport. You cannot go wrong with either.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Look into Rev’it brand they are very high quality and will last and last! Check them out at Revzilla.com.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Look into Rev’it brand they are very high quality and will last and last! Check them out at Revzilla.com.
    I tried to put on a jacket at the IMS last weekend. I agree that it is high quality gear. My problem with it is that it is European sizing. I typically wear a size XL. I could barely get a 2XL coat zipped up. Another small issue but a non starter for me is that the zipper is on the wrong side. I am not into using my left hand to zip up a jacket.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Coretech Sequoia pants... wind/rain liner... flows air really well with liner and without. They are a very baggy fit. They are regular pants and not overpants. I also have a Coretech insulated/windproof/waterproof textile pant for cold weather wear. Those have a more regular pant fit. Both have armor in knees and hips. They were good values, if you shop around. I have a Tourmaster jacket and Coretech is connected to TM so everything zips together if the weather is really harsh. Tourmaster/Coretech has shorter inseam versions of their pant lines, which offers a better fit for a short guy like me, 5' 8".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I have to agree. I have a pair of their pants. I only stopped wearing them because they didn't breath enough in the summer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Here is my 2 cents worth:

To start out, I ride close to 20K miles each year. I started out with an inexpensive pair of 6th Gear mesh pants. They lasted 1 year and were done. I bought a pair of Tourmaster Caliber pants for cold weather riding. They lasted 2 seasons before the liners gave out. I bought the Olympia Air Mesh 3 overpants and really liked them. The nice thing about them is that you can have them shortened if you have legs on the shorter side like me. I wore them for 4 years and then bought Motoport kevlar mesh overpants. They were custom fit to my measurements. I lost a bunch of weight this past year so I was able to send them in and have them resized to fit. The nice thing about Motoport is that they have a 7 year warranty against defects.

IF you are an occasional rider, I would start with the Olyimpia brand for pants and a jacket. They are excellent quality at a reasonable price. If you are a die hard rider, then take a look at Motoport. You cannot go wrong with either.
    I can't speak to the longevity, but I've heard others talk about Motoport gear. Also look into Aerostitch. I think they also customize their gear.

Are you looking for occasional and local riding or for touring? I have Olympia pants with panels that open with mesh behind them. They're great for touring when you may go from hot plaines to cold altitude all in the same day. They also come with rain overpants.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)