Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Please critique my video

I've been hired to do product marketing videos for a local dealership. It's the first iteration that will hopefully evolve into producing videos for every vehicle and accessory they sell.
    I dont have much experience in making a marketing video so any input will be appreciated.
    Please take a look and let me know what you think.
    Thanks!

https://youtu.be/NXkkBF3qi48
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I found the videography is good but the repetitiveness of it wears out. I find the construction site and it’s junk very distracting. Find a better location, probably in front of dealerships. Show more than one model!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

needs to be ridden to show what it can do and show it's features

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have to agree with bmwLarry. Love the shots and angles but Too much of the same shots, and the setting is awful. The junk and heavy equipment in the background does not set the right mood for the Ryker. I would love to see some of your overhead shots from your drone with you ryding the thing! Or camera on the road, and Ryker racing by etc! Create some excitement. I love the action videos you have done with your drone so this should be easy for you!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Gotta agree on the whole location. The rest is good a bit to much and jumpy but if you were to do the different locations like downtown for the ryde to work type in the country for the off the beaten path types mountain roads for the twisty types and a ryde into the dealership for the sales location. Guess it depends on the budget and the availablity of ryker and ryder. Your off to a good start but picture the bikes where the bikes perform well....You asked....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Doing donuts would of been very exciting. But was to long for one model. Setting not good. Good photography, but to fast between pics.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

While for a bit the construction site adds some additional visual interest there is too much of it and it is too cluttered either find a new background or clean up that one.. Shoot from angles that do not show the traffic going by. Moving pictures are supposed to move so have the subject moving, running down the highway, going thru turns, in traffic going somewhere doing something. I like some of the stills but there is just too much.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The background just drips, yes drips, with “toxic masculinity” (i.e., heavy equipment, gravel, dirt, etc). It’ll probably “trigger” the “snowflakes” in the target audience to fear the brand, compelling them to seek solace in a Schwinn, Radio Flyer, Fisher Price or similar trike. (At least you didn’t have a barbecue grill fired up in the background.)
    Just kidding . . . . or maybe not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cut it off around 25-30 seconds and you're good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

awww... Hell: I liked it just fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Very Good drone work!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Anybody else notice just how much crap collects on the top of the front section of the swingarm!? Never understood why a modern motorcycle manufacturer would choose NOT to have an inner fender to protect the suspension etc in that region.... Most motorcycles these days have them and they all have much less tire back there..... facepalm.gif

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Great Job!
    Maybe have a rider on it.......
    Gave you a thumbs up on YT

Patrick
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I did like what I saw, but you did ask for critique/comment, so please bear in mind that I'm doing just that, and not picking what you did at all, just providing critique & feedback!

While I sort of agree with the comments about the site & background being distracting, I reckon a lot of that 'distraction' was simply because you didn't keep the focus on the product, or at least alternatives for the product! By that I mean you spent waaay too much time AFTER the actual overfly of the product! The focus is meant to be on the product, NOT on the yard or background that you get to see after that (at least, not unless it's the Grand Canyon or something?!) So when you do those overfly shots, pull the drone up a LOT earlier and either keep the focus on the product while you do it, or at least cut to another shot soon after passing over it - we don't need to see anywhere near as much of the surroundings as we did, or if you feel we need to spend that much time looking at that, at least fill it with something interesting &/or scenic, the dealers yard, signage, or other product models etc. Make sense?

And there was too much of 'the same stuff' - half of those overfy's weren't needed; you should always aim to leave the viewer wanting to see more rather than thinking, "I've seen that 3 times already!" To help with that, what about putting in a sllloooowww walk-around? Not too close, but taken from the PoV of someone slowly stepping around the product, focusing on IT as a whole rather than anything specific? That's often an ideal ttime to add some 'talent' too; someone of the right demographic to meet your target market, only put them off to one side or maybe even on the other side of the product & follow them stepping around the product - but definitely with the camera focus on the actual product rather than the talent. Hey, you could even feature the dealer themselves (the punters spending the money like it when they feel included) but you should consider their target market too! Maybe even do a group shot of product & targets; or a pan shot with foreground full of all the various product models & a backround filled with 'target market' having a great time together... or a few representatives of the target markets actually ON the various product models doing things that look like their version of fun?! You see what I mean?!

Over to you, and here's to the best of Luck & success in your new venture!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-06-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The video is good you just need to finish it. Clean the bike up change the panels as you go around and add different accessories, get close up of gages when on. Scroll some words like; Made to change or Make it different when you want to be, Make it the way you want it. Build the Ryker you want. Etc. Edit the video to add the above.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I liked it and thought your overall drone work was great, though I'd echo some of Peter's comments. I did like the setting, but you showcased it a bit too much. I like the "snapshots and fade into the video" segment and think this would be a better way to start the whole effort. At about 2 minutes long, the video work and the music started to seem repetitive and for one product video, I'd have been good with a little less. As for showcasing the Ryker itself, I like Copper's comment about showing how to make it different.
    I'd give your first shot at a marketing video a solid C+/B-...and good luck turning this into a side hustle!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I liked the overhead (was that by a drone?) but not very inviting in a construction junkyard??????? sorry, but You asked for imput..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You asked....
    That I did...and now I'm wishing I didn't

Just kidding. I sincerely appreciate everyone's input thanks to all for replying! I will take it all into consideration and will adjust accordingly, but at the end of the day, its what the "boss" says.
    1. I do think it is somewhat too long, but I guess I got carried away and wanted to fit as much drone shots that I could.
    2. I was thinking the construction site was actually a good touch to show it in a "tough" wasteland of sorts, but maybe it didn't turn our the way I was hoping it to be portrayed.
    3. The plan is to do riding, more action videos, but we are waiting for the nicer weather to come and I has some free time to shoot this yesterday and wanted to play around with what I had.
    4. As far as it being only one thing being showcased, the plan is to make a marketing video for each individual product.
    5. Shooting just one product like this will almost not work in front of the dealership. I need more open space to be able to fly my drone.

Thanks to all other replies!
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Anybody else notice just how much crap collects on the top of the front section of the swingarm!? Never understood why a modern motorcycle manufacturer would choose NOT to have an inner fender to protect the suspension etc in that region.... Most motorcycles these days have them and they all have much less tire back there..... facepalm.gif
    I'd guess that they've gone for the smaller fender because they've put more aggressive tires on the Rally's & they are touting them as suitable for 'off road', or more correctly, 'all road capable' including gravel or clay formed surfaces! Any tire (but especially the more aggressive tires) on those sorts of 'non-sealed' surfaces that are wet or even just damp can very quickly gather a lot of gluggy mud or build up in the tread. Performance & Highway tires with narrow tread grooves & small sipes don't shed mud & sticky goop quickly, even if they will clear water away from the contact patch very well.... They tend to pick up the sticky stuff in the tread grooves and build up layers of it, very quickly turning the tires into virtually tractionless racing slicks with an increasing donut of mud/goop stuck to the tire on every rotation, eventually filling all the gap between tire & fender & potentially jamming it solidly stopped; while more aggressive tires with wider grooves & chunkier tread blocks tend to throw off anything picked up rather quickly, usually as the tread flexes back to 'normal' shape just after leaving the road surface and exactly where a close fitting fender would be sited! While that tends to leave the tread clear, it tends to rapidly build up a clogging mass of sticky goop on the leading edge of a close fitting fender, which once again could eventually jam the tire! One of the current concerns with taking your Spyder onto roads with those surfaces that are damp or wet is exactly that build up of mud/goop in the tread getting jammed into the close profile fenders eventually becoming large enough & sticky/jammed solid enough that it stops the wheel from turning or if it doesnt actually stop, it saps significant power and it turns the tread into that tractionless slick even once you are off the slippery stuff!! Do you really need to ask me how I KNOW that this does happen?!

So, take a look at other bikes with aggressive tires, bikes that are designed for those sorts of non-sealed surfaces - they generally have small fenders with a fair bit of clearance between the tire & the bulk of the fender (just like the Ryker Rally rear tire arrangement) simply to avoid that problem! The tire is left clear of large areas being covered by close fitting fenders so that the tires can readily get rid of all the goop collected from the surface on every rotation, and they do that even better if they are spinning; altho the cost of that 'more space, less constriction' is that mud & goop gets thrown everywhere! So with the Ryker being aimed at those sorts of surfaces, with a smaller fender further away from the tire, means there's less chance of the tire being clogged with goop caught in the fender; additionally, the reason the Rally's all have that 'whale tail' behind the riders seat while other models don't is at least partly to stop some of the goopy stuff that WILL get thrown clear of the more aggressive tread & onto the rider/s back and giving it more scope for throwing it well clear of the tire without clogging too much!

It's actually a quite smart design that's used by many 'off-road' car & bike manufacturers, altho it does have some drawbacks, including the build-up of crap on any exposed areas between the tire tread and the 'deflector', which is, in the case of the Ryker Rally's, the underside of the 'whale tail' seat & rack support! The little bit of fender down closer to the tread is simply there to stop the immediate spray of water from wet roads spraying up & saturating the rider/pillion as well as helping stop any sticky goop &/or gravel from peppering all the exposed components down there & to keep the effect on those exposed parts down to be more like a spray instead of peppering them with a high pressure sand-blaster effect!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    That I did...and now I'm wishing I didn't

4. As far as it being only one thing being showcased, the plan is to make a marketing video for each individual product.
    That shouldn't stop you from having a vid with each subject model front & centre in turn, while the rest of the range are all arranged artistically behind it. Focus on the subject, sure, but try to keep the background interesting for the viewer & still always working for your punter & their $$ investment.

Ps: that will also give you something to fill in the background & justify those 'fly-over' shots.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

i think you did a great job on it. what drone were you using. i bought a DJI drone, and the first flight i did, it ran into a tree, and has been being fixed for 3 weeks now.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some good description of the product, maybe someone riding the thing, some commentary rather than repetitive loud music.

Spyder Garage

Are you in Northern Virginia?.....if so I would do the same video but use Manassas National Battlefield Parking lot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The purpose of marketing is to engage the attention of the prospective customers and move them toward a purchase decision. This does not do that in my opinion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is the end purpose of the video? You need to have a clear single easy to understand goal for it. The viewer doesn't need to know what it is, but when they are finished watching it you want them to walk away with some clear thought in their mind. How is the video going to be used, in TV ads? If so, keep it to no more than 30 seconds. Consider taking a real close view of some part of the Ryker, which when viewed really close up, is puzzling. Then back off, explaining what the Ryker is, and why the viewer wants one. You don't always need a 360. Make it a mysterious machine, not just another motorcycle variant.

Do something dramatic to grab attention. Maybe something like have it perched on the edge of steep hill, and say something like, "This is too steep for even a Ryker! But here is what it will do!" Focus on one or two key features and end it. Grab attention, emphasize one or two features, and quit. Avoid information overload. Jolt the viewer to attention, don't put them to sleep!

Get this book. You'll learn a lot from it. https://www.amazon.com/Christ-was-Ad...+was+an+ad+man

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)