Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sta-bil...add more if riding occasionally?

If I take my Sypder out for the occasional short ride when weather and road conditions permit, and I top off my tank, say a gallon or 2, should I always add some more Sta-bil to the mix if its likely to sit for another month?
    Thoughts?

Rap
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no doubt that the crap passing for fuel these days does deteriorate faster than in the past...
    If you're letting a Month's worth of time pass between rides: it can't hurt to add it...
    But why not just ride more?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    If I take my Sypder out for the occasional short ride when weather and road conditions permit, and I top off my tank, say a gallon or 2, should I always add some more Sta-bil to the mix if its likely to sit for another month?
    Thoughts?

Rap
    The " shelf " life of gas - even the Ethyl type is longer than a month imho …… so I wouldn't do it unless at least TWO months between rides. I use " StarTron " which a little different …. they claim it negates the Ethyl in the gas , so use about 1/4 ounce added everytime I get gas …… good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not necessary to add more.

And it can "hurt".....sort of. If you add too much Stabil, it can cause misfires and rough running.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel

I'm a little suspect of all these fuel additives and their multiple claims to fame. Every year for as long as I can remember I've seldom if at all used fuel additives when I start up shut off or store my gasoline powered small engine equipment. Every year, at different times, I start up and use my snow blower, wood splitter and generator using at least a half of tank of fuel that remained in them from the last time I operated the machine. More important than weak or strong fuel is a strong fully charged battery. Many starting problems are a result of a low voltage battery. I keep several containers of fuel stored for use in a number of gas engines I own and operate. Although I do rotate the fuel containers one of two of them may have sat unused for a year or more before I get to them in my rotation cycle. I can't remember poor starting issues or poor operational issues from so called "dead" or over aged gas. As long as I have an unobstructed (clean filters, lines and carbs) flow of fuel, no matter how old the fuel, I get a good start and good run. (Yes, I do top off or fill the tank before I start the engine.) One thing I do pay close attention to is how I shut off the machine. I always (unless I’m going to use it the next day) shut of the machine by turning off the flow of fuel at the gas tank and allow the machine to shut itself off by running dry of fuel, leaving the carb empty. Yes, gas will eventually evaporate if left open to the air. A half full one gallon fuel tank with a one way vent cap will not empty itself by evaporation in a years time. An acquaintance of mine who was a fuel distributor owner (retired) said that brand name fuels (Mobile, Shell, Chevron and etc) have everything in them you need and nothing that you don't. Keep your fuel in clean tight container and you’ll be good. He delivered fuel to many customers who only took deliveries twice a year and none of them complained of issues with aged or "dead" fuel. (He made sure that they all had fuel filters on their fuel storage containers.) I hope this helps a little with concerns of fuel going bad in a month. However, if you are careless with your fuel there may be a reason for concern.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's no doubt that the crap passing for fuel these days does deteriorate faster than in the past...
    If you're letting a Month's worth of time pass between rides: it can't hurt to add it...
    But why not just ride more?
    Best thing for both rider and bike....
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

The fuel system is sealed so if it doesn't sit for more than a six months I wont add anything. I do in all my lawn mowers and weed eaters since they have carbs that are open to the atmosphere and can varnish easily.
    Have you thought about sea foam instead? Iv'e had better results with it.

Every vehicle sold has just 1/8 tank of gas in them and can sit on a lot for a very long time, think about it. Only gets a full tank of fresh gas at purchase...................
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I like Stabil, but too much in the fuel system causes a curious gel to form and it blocks both fuel lines and filters.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the feedback! You guys and this site never disappoint!
    In 30-odd years, I'd never heard about Sta-bil being an issue, nor had any issues, but I also didn't have a $20k machine.
    Based on the comments above and some handy Googling...what I've found most interesting is this snip:

<<<<<
    Sta-bil
    Sta-bil over the years has become a household name when it comes to fuel stabilizers. They promote that if you use their product it will keep your fuel fresher longer and you will have less trouble with your machines. The one thing that they don’t tell you is how it works.

Fuel stabilizers like Sta-bil are a glycol based product, which is more similar to an anti-freeze than a petroleum product like gasoline. Once it’s added to your fuel it separates and creates a thin film on top of the fuel which keeps out the air and more importantly keeps out moisture. The problem with that is if the fuel gets bumped, moved, or shifted in any way, that thin film breaks and does not re-seal itself, letting that air and moisture get to your fuel.

A fuel stabilizer like this is more suited for larger items that can’t be easily jostled such as cars, boats or campers things that are going to be parked in on spot undisturbed for a long time.

Sea Foam
    Another popular name in fuel stabilizers is a product called Sea Foam. This is a multipurpose fuel stabilizer and cleaner. This is a petroleum based product that offers you similar protection but with an added bonus of cleaning the internal components as it burns.

The best part about this product is that it mixes with the fuel as opposed to separating itself which means you can shake, move, or bump your piece of equipment without the worry of exposing your fuel to moisture. This is a better fuel stabilizer for small engines such as lawn mowers, snow blowers or handheld trimmers as they tend to be disturbed more.
    >>>>>

While I've only read a few articles and the info may or may not be anecdotal, for my particular situation, and only a couple few months of non-riding weather here in NJ, I could probably go either way. But I'll definitely make sure to be more mindful of how much Sta-bil I am using.

As for riding more...I would love to...and on winter days when the weather is favorable and the roads not crapped-up, I do!
    Fortunately, the groundhog says Spring is coming...

Thanks!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    If I take my Sypder out for the occasional short ride when weather and road conditions permit, and I top off my tank, say a gallon or 2, should I always add some more Sta-bil to the mix if its likely to sit for another month?...............
    I would add more stabilizer of your choice in the ratio stated on the container. Just don't over use it. I went for a ride this weekend and afterwards topped off with two gallons of E10 gas - so I added the recommended seafoam. Now I'm good until the next warm spell, or spring, whichever comes first.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I like Stabil, but too much in the fuel system causes a curious gel to form and it blocks both fuel lines and filters.
    Since when ??
    Reference please.

Spyder Garage

If you have not seen it then either you haven't looked or the conditions haven't been met. I have seen it for myself.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As have I... it can be frustrating when it happens...

Hi Roger!

Spyder Garage

I've had good storage luck with the blue Marine Grade Stabil, but that could all be a trick too. I do use it though, and I've never had a problem in maanny years with my small engines. To answer the original question, I don't know that I'd add anymore unless you burn up most of the fuel that was in there. Maybe a half ounce at the most. I also agree that Seafoam is a good product, and I use it when I take something out of storage. I'll use a dose of Seafoam in the first tank of the season in everything but my daily drivers.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

sta-bil does not treat ethanol do you have 10% ethanol in your gas
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grieppc View Post
    According to their website: "Effective in all gasoline, including Ethanol and Non-Ethanol"

I have used it in the past since all I use is e10 - no issues. Now I use Sea Foam 100%.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do offer a formulation that works with ethanol.

Spyder Garage

I live 20mi from the nearest gas station so I have 5-5gal containers.When all are empty I add whatever stabilizer is flavor of the day and go fill them with unethanol.This way I never worry about is this the last time I'm mowing-splitting wood-going fishing-cutting a tree-weed whacking etc. I too,like to run carbs dry but not everything has a shut off.

Spyder Garage

I have had poor results with StarTron and Stabil when used in the fuel for my lawn equipment.

I do not recall ever using SeaFoam in the fuel for lawn equipment.

The best fuel additive product I have ever used is Yamalube Fuel Med RX. It is available in small bottles that treats 5 gallons. At every fill up, unless on a trip burning fuel constantly, I add 1 small bottle to the fuel.

Not only does Yamalube Fuel Med RX stop phase seperation of the fuel, it stops corrosion of parts exposed to gasoline with added ethanol.

Yamaha did a very good video explaing what happens to fuel. Yes it is a marketing video, but has excellent general information.

One of the little known downfalls of ethanol fuel degrading is loss of octane. Corrosion is critical also.

My own personal experience has me never use Stabil or StarTron in my own equipment. Actually, the lawn equipment has just recently been running on non ethanol rec gas since it is now easily obtained.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_6SVp1ze0

Spyder Garage

Off to the Yamaha shop today.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

One option of where to purchase Yamalube Fuel Med RX in the small bottles. Amazon price was a lot more. The $1.95 per small bottle is about average cost. I buy from the local shop, I get a full box of 12 or 18 small bottles, I forget how many. I stuff several in the frunk and use as needed at almost every fill up.

Fuel component corrosion is my greatest concern, so this is a small cost to prevent it.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-fuel-med-rx-p

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Off to the Yamaha shop today.

Others may disagree, but I consider that a good decision. You might call first to ensure they have it in stock.

Also, be certain to get Fuel Med RX, not Engine Med RX.

FWIW, the linked video discussed Fuel Conditioner, that product was renamed Fuel Med RX. Already did that research.

Spyder Garage

Thanks PMK
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    If you have not seen it then either you haven't looked or the conditions haven't been met. I have seen it for myself.
    So you assumed that it was CAUSED by the Stabil.
    Maybe the Stabil just failed to PREVENT it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grieppc View Post
    Yes it DOES.
    Says so right on the label.