Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar Install In So Cal

Hey All,

So I am interested in getting the Baja Ron Sway Bar installed but I don’t have a floor jack or a bike lift. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer in Los Angeles county that will install(and sells) the Baja Ron sway bar? Are there any Spyder enthusiast dealers in So Cal? I purchased from Del Amo but they only have one Spyder Tech. Any info is appreciated.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just order the Bar on line from Baja Ron and take it to your dealer for install.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Just order the Bar on line from Baja Ron and take it to your dealer for install.
    This is what most people do who have a 3rd party do the install. Check with the shop that you intend to use as installation price can vary widely. If the shop has done a few installs the price is usually lower than shops that have never done one. You don't necessarily need to go to a Can-Am Spyder dealership to get this done. Any decent wrench can do the work.

Good luck and hope you love the Bar!

I installed a bar on my Brother-in-Law's F3 at our Thanksgiving get together. He didn't have anything to jack it up with. We borrowed what we needed from his friend.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I may just buy a floor jack and stands and tackle it. I do a lot of work on my diesel but it’s 3 feet in the air lol. Thanks for the tip. This is my first recreational vehicle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by derichio02 View Post
    I may just buy a floor jack and stands and tackle it. I do a lot of work on my diesel but it’s 3 feet in the air lol. Thanks for the tip. This is my first recreational vehicle
    Keep in mine that you will need to have the minimum of 22" clearance in order to R&R the sway bar. My jack and stands do not go that high so I end up using pcs of 2x10's on top of the Jack, and under the stands to acheave the clearance needed.
    If I was purchasing new I would look for that height in those products.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If you do it right, you can get everything you need for about the price of the install. And you'll have more than an upgrade sway bar to show for it when you're done. The jack comes in handy for a lot of things, including maintenance on your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

If you know someone with a pit it makes it very easy to remove and install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with what others have said. It is very easy to do the install yourself, but if you are intent on paying someone to do it. This is the man to go to. Lou (Pirate Powersports) in Riverside, Ca. 951-757-9143. He was the only mechanic I trusted with my Spyder when I lived in So Cal.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Thanks for giving me a possible Spyder go to in riverside! I ended up catching a deal on a jack and 21” jack stands at Sears. I may have to add some plywood for the jack but seems like the highest available at around 18”. I got Jack and stands for $150 due to sales and my wife had some points lol.

Here’s the Jack: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-prof...p-00950191000P

Spyder Garage

@BajaRon I saw somewhere that there is an updated 2.3 manual. Is this manual needed for a 2017 F3-S? Is the install different?

Spyder Garage

@BajaRon I saw somewhere that there is an updated 2.3 manual. Is this manual needed for a 2017 F3-S? Is the install different?
    Not Ron, but I found the install the same for both my 2015 F3s and my wife's 2018 F3l
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Not Ron, but I found the install the same for both my 2015 F3s and my wife's 2018 F3l
    Likewise from my 2016 F3T to my 2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Instructions that Lamonster includes with the Baja Ron bar are up to date for my 2017 F3. I had a tough time getting the bushings in, but they finally cooperated. i used the Harbor Freight motorcycle jack and only needed a pair of 2x4s to get the needed height.

Spyder Garage

The sway bar install (with the exception of how much plastic needs to be removed between the RT and F3 models) is basically the same on any 2014+ RT or F3 model or year. The reason I updated instructions from 2.2v to 2.3v is that BRP added bolts and sleeves to the frame channel which holds the sway bar in later models to make it stiffer/stronger. These stiffener bolts must be removed to get the original sway bar out and the new sway bar in. This is also true for the RT models. The 2.2v instructions did not cover this step. Though it is obvious that these 2 stiffener bolts must be removed even if you have the older instructions which do not cover this.

The picture may be a bit disorienting if you have not done a sway bar install, or are not laying under your Spyder with the plastic under-panels removed. The 2 bright white blocks are the Delrin bushings supplied with my bar kit. You can see the sway bar running above these stiffener bolts and through the bushing blocks.

These stiffener bolts are easily accessed, removed and re-installed. They add very little difficulty or time to the overall process.

FramePins.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for giving me a possible Spyder go to in riverside! I ended up catching a deal on a jack and 21” jack stands at Sears. I may have to add some plywood for the jack but seems like the highest available at around 18”. I got Jack and stands for $150 due to sales and my wife had some points lol.

Glad you found the jack and stands to do it yourself. It is so much more fun to do it, than to pay someone else. You really learn much about the Spyder this way.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

If you have a pickup with a set of ramps, I do mine on the ramps. Just drive it about halfway up and lock it down and strap it to the pickup. keep in mind you need at least 22 inches. The job itself is not difficult. Just regular ATV jacks will not go high enough
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I haven’t installed the sway bar yet unfortunately but I did install Sling Mods Arc fog lights and Lamonster H4 LED headlights, USB under the seat, Belt tensioner and my battery tender. Learning a lot about the bike and will likely install the sway bar this upcoming weekend.

Spyder Garage

Have the sway bar but still haven't installed yet...

I understand you need 22 inches of clearance to swap the bars, but if lifting the front by the wheels with ramps how high would the ramps needed to be?
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Have the sway bar but still haven't installed yet...

I understand you need 22 inches of clearance to swap the bars, but if lifting the front by the wheels with ramps how high would the ramps needed to be?
    You will need a minimum of 24" clearance from the frame channel which holds the bar to the ground. There is already 4" - 5" clearance with the Spyder sitting on it's wheels. If you jack just the front of the Spyder you automatically gain more clearance because the bar comes out vertically to the frame. So as the frame angle increases, so does the distance to the ground measuring vertically from the frame. So a 22" physical lift will give you generous room to get the bar out. Especially if you lift only the front of the Spyder. In other words, 22" is probably more lift than you will need. But you should still be prepared to go that high.

The wheels do not have to be lifted. In other words, if you have motorcycle ramps that you can put up on a truck tailgate, level wall, or roll your Spyder over a pit, that will work as well. I had 1 customer who had a large man-hole just in front of his driveway. He removed the man-hole cover, rolled his Spyder over the top and did the job that way.

You only need this amount of lift for the bar exchange itself. Get everything else done at a lower height. Then lift to the needed swap height. It takes just a few minutes to do this. Then you can let the Spyder down and complete the job at a more reasonable lift height.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-19-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

The ramps that I was looking at would give only 15 inches of lift (from the base of the wheels) so I won't get the job done with these.

Will have to look for some another solution.

Thank you for the reply!
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    The ramps that I was looking at would give only 15 inches of lift (from the base of the wheels) so I won't get the job done with these.

Will have to look for some another solution.

Thank you for the reply!
    Standard automotive ramps are not going to get the job done, as you say. They can be used as a good start towards your final lift and for doing the rest of the work, before and after the short bar swap step. The ramps I and others have suggested are as the attached picture. You will need 2 of these and something like this truck tailgate, a level wall, etc., to place them on. Then you can roll your Spyder up far enough to get the needed height to do the job. Not a solution for everyone. But some people already have everything needed (or can borrow it) and it works out well for them.

A standard floor jack or ATV jack will also work, though it will usually require a lift, support, cribbing on the jack and lift again to get to the needed height.

AF-9012-HD__4.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

Is there a video anywhere that goes through the installation start to finish?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Make sure you read the 1 star reviews for this. SCARY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Make sure you read the 1 star reviews for this. SCARY
    I don't mean to sound sarcastic but for every thousand good experiences, there will be a bad one. And the bad ones are always more vocal than the good ones. I have a HF jack that is similar but I believe inferior in quality. It has served me well for many lifts. I have no problem relying on it. I bought it on Craigs List from a guy who had sold his bike. Paid 50 bucks for it and it
    saved me more than double my investment the first time I used it...... I just can't imagine having to run to the dealer with wallet open every time the bike needs to go in the air..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Is there a video anywhere that goes through the installation start to finish?
    I haven’t seen a video for the F3 but I can make one when I get around to completing the project. Unless anyone chimes in...