Thread: C.B. hook up

Spyder Garage

Default C.B. hook up

Since there is a PTT button I assume there is a place to plug in a CB radio. Where?
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

You need an Electrical Entertainment Harness that plugs in under the seat and then the CB will plug into that. All that is needed to make it work is $$$$$..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    ...... All that is needed to make it work is $$$$$..... Jim
    AND a whoooole lotta patience to work your way thru the crappy range & the appalling static many get with the OE CB!! There are threads here on the forum about that, some covering years of frustration!!

It might be a smarter move just to buy an a/mkt CB & work out how to mount it & wire it into your helmet! Probably best to leave the OE antenna & the PTT button alone too. Check out those other threads & I doubt you'll be back here to ask "Why?" I think it'll be pretty obvious...

Good Luck
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    AND a whoooole lotta patience to work your way thru the crappy range & the appalling static many get with the OE CB!! There are threads here on the forum about that, some covering years of frustration!!

It might be a smarter move just to buy an a/mkt CB & work out how to mount it & wire it into your helmet! Probably best to leave the OE antenna & the PTT button alone too. Check out those other threads & I doubt you'll be back here to ask "Why?" I think it'll be pretty obvious...

Good Luck
    The damn cb harness costs $895.00!!! I'll figure a way, maybe make my own harness or go with a different type of radio. Thanks for your input guys.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    The damn cb harness costs $895.00!!! I'll figure a way, maybe make my own harness or go with a different type of radio. Thanks for your input guys.
    I think that is a mis-understanding.
    The CB radio "kit" is about that price.
    It contains the radio, power harness and headset harness......but does not include the actual headsets.
    When mine went in, it also required another harness that was not included in the kit.

I personally think that trying to "manually" connect another CB into the integrated audio system would be a BIG mistake.

Other options exist.....including a hand-held with a headset.
    That can be had for about $150.

Spyder Garage

The Entertainment Harness is about $130.00 The CB radio kit is about $700.00. You need both plus headsets and attachment cords from bike to helmet. Not inexpensive for a very marginal system. And, it seems, most dealers are ignorant about installation, operation, and troubleshooting..... (Just ask your local service manager how he adjusts the SWR. Most likely you will get a blank stare.) If you choose to go with the OEM CB, you need a lot of good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    (Just ask your local service manager how he adjusts the SWR. Most likely you will get a blank stare.)
    With a fixed length antenna, there is no adjustment for SWR.
    And considering the rest of the setup......not much metal in the body for a ground.....it is better that way.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    As has been said that price is for the entire CB kit. And, that IS your ONLY option if you want to connect into the on bike audio. The CB is controlled by digital signals over the CANbus so the radio must be built to interface digitally with the rest of the audio system. Also, be aware that with the OEM CB there is no currently available option to interface to a Bluetooth helmet headset, hardwire only.

You are asking about a 2017 or earlier RT, right? The 2018 has a PTT like button but it's for a different function entirely, and there is no OEM CB available for the 2018 & '19. And as far as the price, it's quite a bit less than the CB option for the new Goldwings!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)