Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Run power/mp3 cable from trunk to handlebars and mount phone?

It was 73 degrees in Northern Va today, so I went for a ride. I'm tired of putting the phone in the trunk. (who's stupid idea was this?) I would like to run the cables from the trunk to the front, that way I don't have to modify anything other than buy some long cords. Has anyone done this? Is there videos somewhere?

Run power/mp3 cable from trunk to handlebars and mount phone?
    Has anyone done this? How hard is it? How did you do it?
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    It was 73 degrees in Northern Va today, so I went for a ride. I'm tired of putting the phone in the trunk. (who's stupid idea was this?) I would like to run the cables from the trunk to the front, that way I don't have to modify anything other than buy some long cords. Has anyone done this? Is there videos somewhere?

I ran the OEM cable ( for MP-3 etc. ) that was in the rear trunk to the right side of my glovebox ( RT , inside the box ) …… I removed the connector in the trunk and traced the cable back to the Radio on the right side just below the passenger seat …… I then CAREFULLY stripped out the cable using a sharp box cutter …… I was lucky in that I had enough cable with a little bit to Spare...…. I now use this new connection for my Sirius XM, but it works with an MP-3 also ….. I have pics in my Album ………………. Mike

Spyder Garage

I understand the glove box gets way too hot. I have a 2018 and have been monitoring the last couple of months, and it does not seem too bad, but it is winter. Interesting to hear people's thoughts. You want to do exactly what I am considering.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I am in the same boat, I have the AUX cable and a 10ft AUX extension. Would like to do the same thing. I am thinking I will need to drill a small hole in the trunk so where to pass the cable through and then be able to hide it under the seat.

Spyder Garage

Make sure the cable is shielded! Engine electrical noise can cause problems if not.
    A few have done this. You buy the connectors and solder up the cable. I made a few for some folks in the past.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    I understand the glove box gets way too hot. I have a 2018 and have been monitoring the last couple of months, and it does not seem too bad, but it is winter. Interesting to hear people's thoughts. You want to do exactly what I am considering.
    …. I don't keep Chocolate in the glovebox ( of a 2014 RT ) , but I do store " StarTron " and a Butane lighter + my Sirius and sometimes an MP-3 ….never had an issue with any of them ...….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're using it for music, right? If so the easiest, and probably most popular, solution is buy a used iPod, or maybe Apple phone, and leave it in the trunk permanently. You can control an iPod from the handlebar controls.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I ran a 6' shielded USB cable from the trunk ( powered by a $4 cig lighter plug in. Goes to the phone in an X-grip on the dash mount bar. Easy peasy and cheap.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Power @ handlebars & tunes

Lamonster single powerport, lamonster iPhone ram mount, old iPhone 4 with tunes loaded, Bluetooth receiver also from lamonster....shows aux on the screen but control volume from bar and selections on the phone....also have an old iPod with tunes loaded...that shows on the screen and controlled from the bar....no drilling, holes extra wire etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Has anyone taken the mp3 & the power outlet from the back and just moved them to the front using the wiring that takes it to the back? I am thinking this might work, so long as the wiring isnt in some bigger harness.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that is what Mike (BlueKnight911) was describing that he did in an earlier post on this thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think that is what Mike (BlueKnight911) was describing that he did in an earlier post on this thread.
    He was talking about splicing wires.... i am wondering if it could be done without cutting.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He was talking about splicing wires.... i am wondering if it could be done without cutting.
    I think he was talking about carefully stripping the audio cables away from the rest of the wiring harness so that he could re-route them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

… please RE-READ my post #2...… I never said anything about splicing wires ………….. I said I " carefully " stripped that part of the cable from the harness at the Radio ……… NO SPLICING INVOLVED …………….I also MOVED my DESS module without SPLICING any wires also ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Lamonster sells a bluetooth adapter that connects to the two ports in the rear trunk. this allows you to keep your phone up front but play the music through your bike speakers via bluetooth. I just put it in last week and works great.

Spyder Garage

I removed the gauges from the dash and replaced one with a digital volt gauge and the other with a 12v outlet.Purchased a Victsing FM transmitter with Bluetooth from Amazon to plug into the 12v outlet added.The Victsing FM transmitter has a slot for a memory card full of music and has USB charging ports.Connects to the radio through whatever FM channel you desire.Your phone can also hook up to the Victsing transmitter through Bluetooth.Inexpensive and looks and works great.

Spyder Garage

Just curious... RT-S models have the 1/8" female jack zip tied to the gas tank on the right side. I put in an extension cable and brought it out under the handle bars. Very easy. I was wondering if the RT-LTD models use a different harness, or if they have the same jack with an extension going into the trunk? Maybe this has to do with what was mention about stripping away the audio cable, not sure. I was wondering if one could just unplug the audio connector and install another to run to the front. I to removed the gauges and installed powered USB on one side, and a cigarette lighter on the other (for my Garmin).

Spyder Garage

Steven could you take a picture of what you mean, so I can look for it on my LTD?

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    … please RE-READ my post #2...… I never said anything about splicing wires ………….. I said I " carefully " stripped that part of the cable from the harness at the Radio ……… NO SPLICING INVOLVED …………….I also MOVED my DESS module without SPLICING any wires also ……. Mike
    Guess i'm not understanding what "stripping" is vs "splicing"... Did you cut the wires at all? If not, do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Guess i'm not understanding what "stripping" is vs "splicing"... Did you cut the wires at all? If not, do you have a picture of what you are talking about?
    NO wire cutting involved ….. The OEM plug/connector that is in the rear trunk can easily be re-moved ( intact ) …. that is a separate cable assembly from the main cable harness at the Radio unit which is on the right side by the Passenger seat ( must re-move some Tupperware to access it )…… " stripping " means you slice open the main harness " sheathing " ( which is just a wrapper around the cable ) and take the rear wire bundle out of the main harness by cutting thru the outer covering …. I did it with a new blade in a box cutter …. then I directed that cable part forward to the Right side of the Glove box ( must re-move some Tupperware ) …. I drilled a small hole and put the connector piece into the hole and used the oem nut to secure it in place. …. I also made a sheet metal holder for my Sirius receiver …. I have some pics of this in my Albums ……. When I did this ( years ago ) I had an idea of what I wanted to accomplish, I just figured it out as I went along ….. there is enough extra cable in the main harness to reach the glovebox. Thinking back about the " stripping thing " , I'm pretty sure I actually just UN-wrapped the covering most of the outside covering. After re-moving the Tupperware by the radio you will see what is involved. If you think it's not something you want to try...… you can stop ….. all you will have lost is the time to re-move the Tupperware ………..good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    NO wire cutting involved ….. The OEM plug/connector that is in the rear trunk can easily be re-moved ( intact ) …. that is a separate cable assembly from the main cable harness at the Radio unit which is on the right side by the Passenger seat ( must re-move some Tupperware to access it )…… " stripping " means you slice open the main harness " sheathing " ( which is just a wrapper around the cable ) and take the rear wire bundle out of the main harness by cutting thru the outer covering …. I did it with a new blade in a box cutter …. then I directed that cable part forward to the Right side of the Glove box ( must re-move some Tupperware ) …. I drilled a small hole and put the connector piece into the hole and used the oem nut to secure it in place. …. I also made a sheet metal holder for my Sirius receiver …. I have some pics of this in my Albums ……. When I did this ( years ago ) I had an idea of what I wanted to accomplish, I just figured it out as I went along ….. there is enough extra cable in the main harness to reach the glovebox. Thinking back about the " stripping thing " , I'm pretty sure I actually just UN-wrapped the covering most of the outside covering. After re-moving the Tupperware by the radio you will see what is involved. If you think it's not something you want to try...… you can stop ….. all you will have lost is the time to re-move the Tupperware ………..good luck …. Mike
    Thanks for the explanation Mike! That sounds doable for sure, but why only go to the glovebox? Was there not enough wire length to go to the handlebars? Goin to check out your pics now!

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the explanation Mike! That sounds doable for sure, but why only go to the glovebox? Was there not enough wire length to go to the handlebars? Goin to check out your pics now!
    Not long enough WITHOUT cutting and adding...… which not be a deal breaker for me …. I can't remember exactly how many wires there were 5-6 ? ….. sorry …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I will respectfully add again, why not buy one of Lamonster's power Ports and avoid extra wires, stripping etc etc?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    I will respectfully add again, why not buy one of Lamonster's power Ports and avoid extra wires, stripping etc etc?
    How is that not adding extra wires. The way we are talking about doesnt add any wires, just uses the omes already there.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    Lamonster single powerport, lamonster iPhone ram mount, old iPhone 4 with tunes loaded, Bluetooth receiver also from lamonster....shows aux on the screen but control volume from bar and selections on the phone....also have an old iPod with tunes loaded...that shows on the screen and controlled from the bar....no drilling, holes extra wire etc.
    I'm looking for a full front setup though. I don't want to have to go in the trunk every time I stop somewhere. I like the ram mount though, but I notice you don't have the tether on it, aren't you worried about losing the phone?

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks