Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Run power/mp3 cable from trunk to handlebars and mount phone?

    It was 73 degrees in Northern Va today, so I went for a ride. I'm tired of putting the phone in the trunk. (who's stupid idea was this?) I would like to run the cables from the trunk to the front, that way I don't have to modify anything other than buy some long cords. Has anyone done this? Is there videos somewhere?

    Run power/mp3 cable from trunk to handlebars and mount phone?
    Has anyone done this? How hard is it? How did you do it?
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  2. #2
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,037
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    It was 73 degrees in Northern Va today, so I went for a ride. I'm tired of putting the phone in the trunk. (who's stupid idea was this?) I would like to run the cables from the trunk to the front, that way I don't have to modify anything other than buy some long cords. Has anyone done this? Is there videos somewhere?

    Run power/mp3 cable from trunk to handlebars and mount phone?
    Has anyone done this? How hard is it? How did you do it?
    I ran the OEM cable ( for MP-3 etc. ) that was in the rear trunk to the right side of my glovebox ( RT , inside the box ) I removed the connector in the trunk and traced the cable back to the Radio on the right side just below the passenger seat I then CAREFULLY stripped out the cable using a sharp box cutter I was lucky in that I had enough cable with a little bit to Spare.... I now use this new connection for my Sirius XM, but it works with an MP-3 also .. I have pics in my Album . Mike

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    St Pete Beach
    Posts
    90
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I understand the glove box gets way too hot. I have a 2018 and have been monitoring the last couple of months, and it does not seem too bad, but it is winter. Interesting to hear people's thoughts. You want to do exactly what I am considering.

  4. #4
    Member Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    NW GA
    Posts
    17
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I am in the same boat, I have the AUX cable and a 10ft AUX extension. Would like to do the same thing. I am thinking I will need to drill a small hole in the trunk so where to pass the cable through and then be able to hide it under the seat.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member finless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Stanton, ca
    Posts
    4,901
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Make sure the cable is shielded! Engine electrical noise can cause problems if not.
    A few have done this. You buy the connectors and solder up the cable. I made a few for some folks in the past.

    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

  6. #6
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,037
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    I understand the glove box gets way too hot. I have a 2018 and have been monitoring the last couple of months, and it does not seem too bad, but it is winter. Interesting to hear people's thoughts. You want to do exactly what I am considering.
    …. I don't keep Chocolate in the glovebox ( of a 2014 RT ) , but I do store " StarTron " and a Butane lighter + my Sirius and sometimes an MP-3 ….never had an issue with any of them ...….. Mike

  7. #7
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    6,201
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    It was 73 degrees in Northern Va today, so I went for a ride. I'm tired of putting the phone in the trunk. (who's stupid idea was this?) I would like to run the cables from the trunk to the front, that way I don't have to modify anything other than buy some long cords. Has anyone done this? Is there videos somewhere?

    Run power/mp3 cable from trunk to handlebars and mount phone?
    Has anyone done this? How hard is it? How did you do it?
    You're using it for music, right? If so the easiest, and probably most popular, solution is buy a used iPod, or maybe Apple phone, and leave it in the trunk permanently. You can control an iPod from the handlebar controls.

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,888
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I ran a 6' shielded USB cable from the trunk ( powered by a $4 cig lighter plug in. Goes to the phone in an X-grip on the dash mount bar. Easy peasy and cheap.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months. Flashed ECU installed

  9. #9
    Active Member Tatonka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Power @ handlebars & tunes

    Lamonster single powerport, lamonster iPhone ram mount, old iPhone 4 with tunes loaded, Bluetooth receiver also from lamonster....shows aux on the screen but control volume from bar and selections on the phone....also have an old iPod with tunes loaded...that shows on the screen and controlled from the bar....no drilling, holes extra wire etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Has anyone taken the mp3 & the power outlet from the back and just moved them to the front using the wiring that takes it to the back? I am thinking this might work, so long as the wiring isnt in some bigger harness.
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley Utah & Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    4,995
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    I think that is what Mike (BlueKnight911) was describing that he did in an earlier post on this thread.

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Yuma, AZ in winter.

  12. #12
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think that is what Mike (BlueKnight911) was describing that he did in an earlier post on this thread.
    He was talking about splicing wires.... i am wondering if it could be done without cutting.
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  13. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley Utah & Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    4,995
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    He was talking about splicing wires.... i am wondering if it could be done without cutting.
    I think he was talking about carefully stripping the audio cables away from the rest of the wiring harness so that he could re-route them.

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac
    Northern Utah in summer; Yuma, AZ in winter.

  14. #14
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,037
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    He was talking about splicing wires.... i am wondering if it could be done without cutting.
    … please RE-READ my post #2...… I never said anything about splicing wires ………….. I said I " carefully " stripped that part of the cable from the harness at the Radio ……… NO SPLICING INVOLVED …………….I also MOVED my DESS module without SPLICING any wires also ……. Mike

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Lamonster sells a bluetooth adapter that connects to the two ports in the rear trunk. this allows you to keep your phone up front but play the music through your bike speakers via bluetooth. I just put it in last week and works great.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Bowling Green Ky
    Posts
    3
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I removed the gauges from the dash and replaced one with a digital volt gauge and the other with a 12v outlet.Purchased a Victsing FM transmitter with Bluetooth from Amazon to plug into the 12v outlet added.The Victsing FM transmitter has a slot for a memory card full of music and has USB charging ports.Connects to the radio through whatever FM channel you desire.Your phone can also hook up to the Victsing transmitter through Bluetooth.Inexpensive and looks and works great.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    301
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Just curious... RT-S models have the 1/8" female jack zip tied to the gas tank on the right side. I put in an extension cable and brought it out under the handle bars. Very easy. I was wondering if the RT-LTD models use a different harness, or if they have the same jack with an extension going into the trunk? Maybe this has to do with what was mention about stripping away the audio cable, not sure. I was wondering if one could just unplug the audio connector and install another to run to the front. I to removed the gauges and installed powered USB on one side, and a cigarette lighter on the other (for my Garmin).

  18. #18
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Steven could you take a picture of what you mean, so I can look for it on my LTD?
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  19. #19
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    … please RE-READ my post #2...… I never said anything about splicing wires ………….. I said I " carefully " stripped that part of the cable from the harness at the Radio ……… NO SPLICING INVOLVED …………….I also MOVED my DESS module without SPLICING any wires also ……. Mike
    Guess i'm not understanding what "stripping" is vs "splicing"... Did you cut the wires at all? If not, do you have a picture of what you are talking about?
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,037
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    Guess i'm not understanding what "stripping" is vs "splicing"... Did you cut the wires at all? If not, do you have a picture of what you are talking about?
    NO wire cutting involved ….. The OEM plug/connector that is in the rear trunk can easily be re-moved ( intact ) …. that is a separate cable assembly from the main cable harness at the Radio unit which is on the right side by the Passenger seat ( must re-move some Tupperware to access it )…… " stripping " means you slice open the main harness " sheathing " ( which is just a wrapper around the cable ) and take the rear wire bundle out of the main harness by cutting thru the outer covering …. I did it with a new blade in a box cutter …. then I directed that cable part forward to the Right side of the Glove box ( must re-move some Tupperware ) …. I drilled a small hole and put the connector piece into the hole and used the oem nut to secure it in place. …. I also made a sheet metal holder for my Sirius receiver …. I have some pics of this in my Albums ……. When I did this ( years ago ) I had an idea of what I wanted to accomplish, I just figured it out as I went along ….. there is enough extra cable in the main harness to reach the glovebox. Thinking back about the " stripping thing " , I'm pretty sure I actually just UN-wrapped the covering most of the outside covering. After re-moving the Tupperware by the radio you will see what is involved. If you think it's not something you want to try...… you can stop ….. all you will have lost is the time to re-move the Tupperware ………..good luck …. Mike

  21. #21
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    NO wire cutting involved ….. The OEM plug/connector that is in the rear trunk can easily be re-moved ( intact ) …. that is a separate cable assembly from the main cable harness at the Radio unit which is on the right side by the Passenger seat ( must re-move some Tupperware to access it )…… " stripping " means you slice open the main harness " sheathing " ( which is just a wrapper around the cable ) and take the rear wire bundle out of the main harness by cutting thru the outer covering …. I did it with a new blade in a box cutter …. then I directed that cable part forward to the Right side of the Glove box ( must re-move some Tupperware ) …. I drilled a small hole and put the connector piece into the hole and used the oem nut to secure it in place. …. I also made a sheet metal holder for my Sirius receiver …. I have some pics of this in my Albums ……. When I did this ( years ago ) I had an idea of what I wanted to accomplish, I just figured it out as I went along ….. there is enough extra cable in the main harness to reach the glovebox. Thinking back about the " stripping thing " , I'm pretty sure I actually just UN-wrapped the covering most of the outside covering. After re-moving the Tupperware by the radio you will see what is involved. If you think it's not something you want to try...… you can stop ….. all you will have lost is the time to re-move the Tupperware ………..good luck …. Mike
    Thanks for the explanation Mike! That sounds doable for sure, but why only go to the glovebox? Was there not enough wire length to go to the handlebars? Goin to check out your pics now!
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  22. #22
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,037
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Mike! That sounds doable for sure, but why only go to the glovebox? Was there not enough wire length to go to the handlebars? Goin to check out your pics now!
    Not long enough WITHOUT cutting and adding...… which not be a deal breaker for me …. I can't remember exactly how many wires there were 5-6 ? ….. sorry …. Mike

  23. #23
    Active Member Tatonka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I will respectfully add again, why not buy one of Lamonster's power Ports and avoid extra wires, stripping etc etc?

  24. #24
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    I will respectfully add again, why not buy one of Lamonster's power Ports and avoid extra wires, stripping etc etc?
    How is that not adding extra wires. The way we are talking about doesnt add any wires, just uses the omes already there.
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

  25. #25
    Active Member FINFAN3DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    HAYMARKET,VA
    Posts
    99
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    Lamonster single powerport, lamonster iPhone ram mount, old iPhone 4 with tunes loaded, Bluetooth receiver also from lamonster....shows aux on the screen but control volume from bar and selections on the phone....also have an old iPod with tunes loaded...that shows on the screen and controlled from the bar....no drilling, holes extra wire etc.
    I'm looking for a full front setup though. I don't want to have to go in the trunk every time I stop somewhere. I like the ram mount though, but I notice you don't have the tether on it, aren't you worried about losing the phone?
    2016 RT Limited
    Added:
    Larger Brake Pedal: https://spyderpops.com/performance/brake-pedal/
    Wolo Big Boy Horn: https://spyderpops.com/2015-16-f3-f3...-the-loud-one/
    Foam Grips: https://spyderpops.com/foam-grips-for-all-spyders/
    Add this spring:
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ies-lamonster/
    AFTER I run the cables from the trunk to the front, where the stupid engineers should have put them to begin with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •