Spyder Garage

Default Brake Job Question ??

Hey Fellow Spyder Lovers,
    I recently purchased a new to me, 2014 RTL with 19K miles for my wife and plan to replace the brakes before taking it in for State inspection. After reviewing the manual procedure it calls for replacing the following items with NEW components:
    --Brake Pad Pins
    --Retaining Clip
    --NEW Caliper Screws

I've ordered the following pads...

--Lefossi Front / Rear Carbon Fiber Brake Pads Brakes for Can Am Spyder RS/RS-S/RT/RT-S/ST/ST-S 13-17
    P/N: FA630F FA631R

It doesn't appear the pads come with any of the new components listed above. The procedures do allow for re-use of the "Brake Pad Pins" along with a re-application of Locktite 243 and It probably wouldn't be a big deal to reuse the clip as long as it wasn't damaged or corroded, but the procedures seem adamant about replacement of the bolts. Does anyone know of a source for a hardware kit for these items ?? Is it a problem to re-use the bolt ? Any insight appreciated ! Thanks !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

I have used the old bolts on three out of five rear pad replacements. Make sure they are clean and smooth, no wear spots. Should be fine. If you get your pads thru BRP they come as a kit. They do for a 2011, RT's. You have Brembo brakes on your 2014, I do not. Good luck. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDBrion View Post
    Hey Fellow Spyder Lovers,
    I recently purchased a new to me, 2014 RTL with 19K miles for my wife and plan to replace the brakes before taking it in for State inspection.
    Do some searching here and you'll pick up quite a few tips about changing the brake pads. Here are three from my changeout last spring.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...out-brake-pads

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...change-caution

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ake-job-easier!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I had reused the bolts, pins, and clips on my 2014 without any issues. Traded the RT last fall with 84,000 miles on it. I did about 4 pad changes in that time.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I had reused the bolts, pins, and clips on my 2014 without any issues. Traded the RT last fall with 84,000 miles on it. I did about 4 pad changes in that time.
    That's an average of 21,000 miles per set of pads. I wonder why the Spyder chews up brake pads so quickly. I don't remember the pads on my Goldwing looking anything like they were due for a change when I sold it at 52,000 miles. I just changed the pads for the first time on my 2005 Nissan Maxima at 110,000 miles!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That's an average of 21,000 miles per set of pads. I wonder why the Spyder chews up brake pads so quickly. I don't remember the pads on my Goldwing looking anything like they were due for a change when I sold it at 52,000 miles. I just changed the pads for the first time on my 2005 Nissan Maxima at 110,000 miles!
    Good question as I changed my first set at 30k, 22k later I'm looking at another set same style ryding (very relaxed & casual *NO RUSH at all*) no change in topography mostly All in the central Plains each set got to taste the ozarks, the one variable is like 450m 2up when I helped a bud on our way to BBB & back. Not a problem just odd as both sets about a card width of pad left as I care to let it go.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Brake pads

I have a 2014 RTS SE6, and I have changed my own pads on all three wheels. All I did was watch two videos on YouTube and was able to change my own. Had around 28,000 miles on pads. Search out Spyder Brake change on YouTube, it really helps.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The first set was changed at 18,000 miles as we were heading to Alaska, and I wanted to be sure that we would not have any brake issues on that 9,400 mile trip. The second set was changed when my rear caliper was replaced due to it not retracting. The third set was to try out Ron's new EBC brake pads. The last set was when I replaced all the rotors with EBC rotors for improved stopping power(I always use new pads with new rotors)

None of the pads replaced were worn out - I just think that if I am going through the work of dismantling to look I may as well replace the pads.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Wink Thanks for insight !

Thanks folks, appreciate the responses !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

This would be a good time to flush the brake fluid too. You would be amazed what the brake fluid looks like, especially from the ABS unit, after just two years.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red