Spyder Garage

Default Ryker limp mode info.

55 MPH at 5,200 RPMs is all you get! Slower if up hill.
    After 2 Days and 160 Easy miles in ECO OFF mode I spun a VSS /ABS Fault followed by LIMP MODE. The usual Spyder methods to clear did not do any good and I don,t know what buttons to push to get a code on the Ryker like you can on Spyders. Anyway I limped 25 miles on secondary and Highway roads to the dealer- BRP computers were down so he could not connect to get the codes to post. The service manager is Excellent and will get it solved meanwhile they had the helper kid drive me the 10 miles home AND while they figure it out I can ride the F3 tomorrow.
    The Ryker is a Hoot BUT I need a lot more miles before I say its better than my F3. Much different !!!
    Anyone else get VSS Fault Limp Home Or am I the first lucky Guy???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

During tire testing, especially brake testing and on the skid pan where the ABS/Traction Control often gets a work-out, we've found that many traction control systems that use the ABS can be worked hard enough that the ABS system starts getting hot & throws a code that drops the vehicle into limp mode. Once the ABS gets hot, it generally takes a loooong time for them to cool down (often requiring an overnight lie-down! ) and only once they've properly cooled off can the code be cleared & the limp mode re-set.

I just wonder if your problem/experience is anything to do with that Sarge? Were you playing hard? Had the ABS been working a bit or for any length of time, or were you just out ryding?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    During tire testing, especially brake testing and on the skid pan where the ABS/Traction Control often gets a work-out, we've found that many traction control systems that use the ABS can be worked hard enough that the ABS system starts getting hot & throws a code that drops the vehicle into limp mode. Once the ABS gets hot, it generally takes a loooong time for them to cool down (often requiring an overnight lie-down! ) and only once they've properly cooled off can the code be cleared & the limp mode re-set.

I just wonder if your problem/experience is anything to do with that Sarge? Were you playing hard? Had the ABS been working a bit or for any length of time, or were you just out ryding?
    Just easy riding in ECO OFF mode but the roads were a bit slick in places but I never noticed the traction control stepping in. At the 160 mile mark and was going to turn on sport at 200 miles? Battery terminals were tightened with 10mm socket- So Not loose.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you would've been very much aware of it if the ABS had been working hard enough to overheat. I doubt very much that any competent motorcycle rider could avoid that, cos as a rider you hafta be that much more aware of what your ride is doing underneath you & what's happening around you!

But I have been gob smacked at the number of cage drivers we've come across who just don't realise how even 'normal' ABS operation feels, much less how it'd feel if they had it activating continuously for a while!! My wife was present on one occasion this came up during a driving session at one of the courses I was running, and she really didn't want to drive on the road at all for a while afterwards!! Up until then, she'd been driving/riding under the misguided assumption that most drivers out there were basically competent!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well at least we know that Limp Mode on the Ryker is 5200 +or- and that's 55 MPH on flat roads. Something for Ryker riders to keep in mind!

Spyder Garage

Problem solved. Dealer got a case# and even though the dealers "buds"? wasn,t connecting to the BRP one because it was down-They Emailed back and forth possible solutions and it turned out to pay off because it was a Loose Wire connection! I called BRP this afternoon and Sort of gave them a reminder about the case and the fault was found in a few hours. Pick it up tomorrow and 50s for Friday!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your issue was simple to resolve. It is also encouraging to hear that limp home mode is 55 mph. On my truck it is only 25!
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Glad to hear your issue was simple to resolve. It is also encouraging to hear that limp home mode is 55 mph. On my truck it is only 25!
    I have never had a Limp Mode in 3 Different Spyders and over 60,000 Miles SO I was sort of happy that 55 could get me home without a need for a tow? It wasn,t rush hour anyway!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have never had a Limp Mode in 3 Different Spyders and over 60,000 Miles SO I was sort of happy that 55 could get me home without a need for a tow? It wasn,t rush hour anyway!
    55 isn't a limp; it's more of a healthy trot
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Problem solved. Dealer got a case# and even though the dealers "buds"? wasn,t connecting to the BRP one because it was down-They Emailed back and forth possible solutions and it turned out to pay off because it was a Loose Wire connection! I called BRP this afternoon and Sort of gave them a reminder about the case and the fault was found in a few hours. Pick it up tomorrow and 50s for Friday!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!
    Did they say what loose wire it was? Could it have been caused by you adding accessories or was it just a poor connection in a connectro?

Spyder Garage

You took the words right out of my mouth... was just about to post the same thing. 55 MPH is sufficient to get back to civilization or down the road a bit without being too much of a "rolling roadblock" to traffic.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

55 isn't a limp; it's more of a healthy trot
    That's a reasonable speed to get back to civilization. I had a BMW M5 that went into limp mode due to a CAN-bus error... it went limp at 5000 RPM and/or 85 MPH. That was annoying, to be sure, but still a healthy trot back to the service center.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Did they say what loose wire it was? Could it have been caused by you adding accessories or was it just a poor connection in a connectro?
    Loose connection near one of the front wheels that worked loose after 160 miles. Probably not connected properly in the build or loosened when they put the fenders on .
    Just glad I,m doing about 90 miles tomorrow in the 50s and dropping---

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the Spyders you could go faster in Limp Mode as long as you could keep the RPM down. On my 13, I was real good at going 75 in Limp Mode, I had a lot of practice, but with the CVT you can’t control that. In my opinion 55 isn’t fast enough, you’d get run over on the freeway at that speed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Just got the same indication yesterday on my Ryker 600; negotiating a small S curve and it kicked out a "VSS Fault, Limp Home Mode." I could only get up to 41 mph. I pulled over, stopped the engine, pulled off the key and waited a few minutes. Turned it all back on and still throbbing the error. Luckily, I was only a couple of miles from home via a 45mph road. Waited overnight and tried again this morning; still giving me the code. Called the dealership and they're going to pick it up tomorrow.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freezefm View Post
    Just got the same indication yesterday on my Ryker 600; negotiating a small S curve and it kicked out a "VSS Fault, Limp Home Mode." I could only get up to 41 mph. I pulled over, stopped the engine, pulled off the key and waited a few minutes. Turned it all back on and still throbbing the error. Luckily, I was only a couple of miles from home via a 45mph road. Waited overnight and tried again this morning; still giving me the code. Called the dealership and they're going to pick it up tomorrow.

Francis
    Interesting about this VSS code & Limp mode w/ a Ryker …………. I have had 3 Spyders GS - RSS & an RT now , and have had literally Hundreds of VSS errors over a 10 year period …. NEVER has the Spyder gone into LIMP Mode.... The Ryker VSS may be set-up differently because of the CVT trans ….. time will tell ….. I hope the Dealer can get this issue fixed …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Have a feeling it was not a loose wire but a wire that was rubbed by the tire. I think I read somewhere else on the forum about the tire rubbing the turn signal light wire. I looked up in me right fender and could see several wires against the tire. The left side was OK but close. Good thing the weather and roads have been too bad to ride. I am going to pull the wheel tomorrow and get the wires tied up away from the tire. I could see one of the wires is the wheel speed sensor wire. Everyone may want to take a look before it is too late.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. cueman

Spyder Garage

Only one limp mode on all my spyders. The famous "riding the brake with new boots" incident. Around 20 mph was all that I could get out of the 2010 RTS.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ….. I hope the Dealer can get this issue fixed …… Mike
    They were able to fix it...although it took a week and a half waiting for the part. It wound up being the "Yaw Rate Sensor" went bad. They also did the oil level inspection.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Gee, I'd never know if I was in limp mode because my normal cruising speed is 50! Most roads around me have shoulders and I keep watch and get over. On the four lane roads, they have another lane, they can go around me.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride