Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Difficult steering??? Anyone has the same problem with F3?

Hi Guys,
    as the new season is almost here, I am trying to get my bike ready.
    Yesterday my friend asked me if I do have the same issue as he does with his F3s.

Issue is:
    Sometimes the handling is very smooth, its easy to turn from left to right. (I do have aftermarket shox and BajaRon swaybar)
    Now from time to time, i feel like the bike gets heavy, like the handling gets super hard to turn. It can happen in the middle of the curve or one curve can be smooth the other can have problem.

Now, the question is obvious...
    Anyone is/was facing the similar issue?

All I am thinking of is:
    old battery (this is 5th season),,, so the DPS (Dynamic Power Steering) has not enough power,,,,
    or DPS itself... but i think if it would be bad, there would be an error message in the system
    last are shox,,, but same problem is on other bike, and he does not have Wilbers... +, ok you should service them every 25.000km or every 2 years... so i did 30.000 with them.. cannot be a problem.. i doubt.. hmm??

any advice would help...
    M.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-04-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Title

Spyder Garage

I've had the same problem. Clean and tighten the battery connections and ground. If problem persists, do the same at the power steering unit itself. It's the easiest and cheapest thing to do before sinking money into the problem and it will most likely fix it.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I've had the same problem. Clean and tighten the battery connections and ground. If problem persists, do the same at the power steering unit itself. It's the easiest and cheapest thing to do before sinking money into the problem and it will most likely fix it.
    hmmm... good idea!!! i will be on it, over weekend!!!!!!!
    thanx

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Power Steering & Battery issues ??? ….. IMHO once the bike is running - the Charging system should be supplying ALL the juice for ALL the electrical items ….. including the Power Steering …..or am I missing something ????? …………….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Once running, the alternator is supplying the required voltage.
    Is this unique to the Spyder?
    Thanks,
    Ken

2012 Spyder RT-S Limited

Spyder Garage

If there is an issue with the charging system, such as poor battery and ground connections, the battery will not fully charge or output the correct amount of current
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

It is time to change out the battery. They can and will crash at the most inopportune time.

Mine get changed out at four years...whether they need it or not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had an issue with the DPS going out on my 17 F3T but each time I would get a check DPS Error. There was no noticeable difference in steering at high speed, only at slow speeds.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Power Steering & Battery issues ??? ….. IMHO once the bike is running - the Charging system should be supplying ALL the juice for ALL the electrical items ….. including the Power Steering …..or am I missing something ????? …………….. Mike
    The battery serves as a reservoir of power to supply the momentary deficiency between what the alternator is supplying and what the short term power need is. The alternator is sized to adequately supply the average power draw over time, not the total load for any particular instant time period. The DPS sucks up a lot of juice when it's providing turning assistance. And of course, this happens at low speeds when the engine is throttled down and the alternator output is lowest. At road speeds the alternator probably does more than cover the DPS draw since the DPS is providing less assistance and the alternator is at high output.

It would be interesting to know how the DPS assist level varies with voltage and current in. If the output is very sensitive to input power, which I think it may be, then that would be a reason why the connections need to be clean in order to avoid any voltage and current drop.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Hi Guys,
    as the new season is almost here, I am trying to get my bike ready.
    Yesterday my friend asked me if I do have the same issue as he does with his F3s.

Issue is:
    Sometimes the handling is very smooth, its easy to turn from left to right. (I do have aftermarket shox and BajaRon swaybar)
    Now from time to time, i feel like the bike gets heavy, like the handling gets super hard to turn. It can happen in the middle of the curve or one curve can be smooth the other can have problem.

Now, the question is obvious...
    Anyone is/was facing the similar issue?

All I am thinking of is:
    old battery (this is 5th season),,, so the DPS (Dynamic Power Steering) has not enough power,,,,
    or DPS itself... but i think if it would be bad, there would be an error message in the system
    last are shox,,, but same problem is on other bike, and he does not have Wilbers... +, ok you should service them every 25.000km or every 2 years... so i did 30.000 with them.. cannot be a problem.. i doubt.. hmm??

any advice would help...
    M.
    ....I agree with Grandpot. Had the same problem, one spring after re-installing the battery for the new season. No error code, just heavy steering at low speed only. Thigthen battery connection, and all as been fine since. We do not remove the batteries anymore for the winter. We just leave them on a battery tender.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Guys thank you for all of the advice!!! I will change the battery, as 5th season, I dont have to risk it to be stuck somewhere in Albania or Romania on my crazy trips
    also I will ask to clean all the connectors tight them up etc..
    Have an awesome day,
    Martin

Spyder Garage

Had the same problem ...bet you a dollar to a donut that once you tighten connections the problem goes away. I would still change the battery too , 5 years is pushing it .