Spyder Garage

Default Another tire post

Hi all: I am sorry to have to make this post but I have become quite confused. I know that there are many, many posts on tires and I looked at many of them but they still haven't answered my question. I have a 2012 RT Limited and need new tires all around. I had the dealer replace my rear tire at the beginning of the season for 2019 and tread is very low after only about 9000 miles on the Kenda they installed. I also need front tires and an alignment as I have observed somewhat uneven wear. After reading many of the posts regarding front tires I had decided to try the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 165/65R14. When I asked my local tire shop if he would mount them on my wheels he told me that those tires are generally used primarily by hot rodders and only, in cars, last around 20,000 miles. I mostly ride two up and don't ride hard, my other half yells at me if it even looks look like might be going to go into a corner too fast for her, so I am looking for a long lasting, good riding, but good handling set of tires. Also I intend to replace the front brakes at the same time as I believe that the front brake pads are the original and the Spyder currently has 40600 miles. I am looking for suggestions for pads.
    2022 Spyder RT Limited , Deep Marsala / Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kovas View Post
    Hi all: I am sorry to have to make this post but I have become quite confused. I know that there are many, many posts on tires and I looked at many of them but they still haven't answered my question. I have a 2012 RT Limited and need new tires all around. I had the dealer replace my rear tire at the beginning of the season for 2019 and tread is very low after only about 9000 miles on the Kenda they installed. I also need front tires and an alignment as I have observed somewhat uneven wear. After reading many of the posts regarding front tires I had decided to try the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 165/65R14. When I asked my local tire shop if he would mount them on my wheels he told me that those tires are generally used primarily by hot rodders and only, in cars, last around 20,000 miles. I mostly ride two up and don't ride hard, my other half yells at me if it even looks look like might be going to go into a corner too fast for her, so I am looking for a long lasting, good riding, but good handling set of tires. Also I intend to replace the front brakes at the same time as I believe that the front brake pads are the original and the Spyder currently has 40600 miles. I am looking for suggestions for pads.
    Hi, I'm ALL about safety .... right now the Vredestein Quatrac 5 has the best rating for wet / dry / handling .... they come in 14 in. to fit your front wheels.... if you get flack about mounting them - here are some FACTS ... all Spyders have " J " type wheels/rims ..... The OEM Kenda tires are STAMPED " must be used with - J - type wheels/rims ".... All auto tires have " J " type " beads ( the part that must match the wheel ) .... If your " alignment " is proper ... any Auto tire will give you very good mileage, there are differences in the amount of traction they provide. Although OEM Kenda's are a very weak tires, on the front you can expect about 25,000 mi., the rear Kenda's will wear out the middle of the tread at 10 to 13,000 mi. on average. .... Trust anything Peter Aawen has to say about tires, I think He will say the same about me ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

On the question of brake parts I would use EBC, last set I put on I got from BajaRon, one of the sponsors on the site, good guy, good prices!! EBC makes brake parts for everything on the rode, good produce, work well! Give Ron a call he'll set you right up!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

We have installed a number of sets of the Bridgestones on the older Spyders. Normal life on a well aligned Spyder is about 40k miles.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Brake pads; EBC HH from Bajaron.
    Tires; There are many great tires to choose from, as mentioned in past tire threads. I have a local car tire shop that gladly mounts tires on my Spyder and as one who buys local, I also buy the tires there too. For fronts, the only brand that is available to him in the correct size is Federal Formoza. Not a bad choice as many have them and sing their praises.
    Here' what I have noticed going from the OEM Kendas to the Federals: far less rolling resistance, much better straight line tracking (the Kendas wondered terribly), quicker turn in, way improved cornering giving me more confidence in the bike and immensely increasing the yee haw factor.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown