Spyder Garage

Default RT Limited GPS mount not charging GPS

I thought I had posted this previously but cannot find my post so either I didn't post it and having a senior moment or it just went into the Interether.

Wife has a 2017 RT Limited that came with the GPS and GPS mount factory installed. The GPS gets power when the key is turned on but the mount does not charge the GPS. Result is when we remove the GPS to ,ore easily search and setup routes the GPS dies. We will frequently stop for lunch and I want to input our next route section.

Someone mentioned that the pins in the mount may not be set right but as I stated above, the GPS gets power just fine when the key is turned on.

Any thoughts anyone?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You looking for this one??

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...S-not-charging

Go into your profile to find your posts.

Clean your contacts or base unit maybe bad. Or bad battery??

Spyder Garage

I know my Garmon 590 on my 2015 RTL isn’t holding a charge anymore so I just ordered a new battery. If you plug it into your computer and it still doesn’t hold a charge it’s the battery.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    I thought I had posted this previously but cannot find my post so either I didn't post it and having a senior moment or it just went into the Interether.

Wife has a 2017 RT Limited that came with the GPS and GPS mount factory installed. The GPS gets power when the key is turned on but the mount does not charge the GPS. Result is when we remove the GPS to ,ore easily search and setup routes the GPS dies. We will frequently stop for lunch and I want to input our next route section.

Someone mentioned that the pins in the mount may not be set right but as I stated above, the GPS gets power just fine when the key is turned on.

Any thoughts anyone?
    I assume that your GPS is a Garmin zumo 590LM. If it is, it is possible that the power cable or the ground cable from the battery to your mount is not connected. This is possible if the battery has been replaced.

If your GPS mount has been installed correctly, then, with the ignition OFF mount the GPS (also OFF) into the holder. When you turn the motorcycle ON the GPS should automatically turn ON. If it does not turn on, then there is a power or ground issue. My first check would be the connections at the battery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You looking for this one??

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...S-not-charging

Clean your contacts or base unit maybe bad. Or bad battery??
    Good answers here

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

When your wife turns off the Spyder does she ever get a "Low Battery" warning from the GPS? I ask because I did when my 590 was somewhere less than two years old, maybe within the first year. Anyway, Garmin told me to charge the GPS on my desktop computer overnight and call them back. The first night I charged it all night it registered no more than about 3/4 charge. Told Garmin what had happened and was told to charge it again overnight as before (Spyder had not been used during this time and GPS remained off bike). Second charging night went by and GPS still registered no more than 3/4 charge. Garmin shipped me a new battery under warranty. Have never had a problem since. Touching wood.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks, trikermutha that's the one. Good to know I am not losing my mind. But looks like I need to increase my search and navigation skills at Spyderlovers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When your wife turns off the Spyder does she ever get a "Low Battery" warning from the GPS?
    Yes, because she's been using it and its not being charged. But charging it off the bike charges it fully so it has to be something with the bike itself. Going to try some of the recommendations that I got in that "previous" post I made

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IgoFar2 View Post
    I assume that your GPS is a Garmin zumo 590LM. When you turn the motorcycle ON the GPS should automatically turn ON.
    Yes, when we first turn on the bike the GPS comes on and works as expected.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Maybe I am again having a morning brain fart but I cannot find posts I made in My Profile. When I look at My Activity it says I do not have any recent activity, which is obviously not true as I made this post just yesterday.
    SL activity.JPG

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    Maybe I am again having a morning brain fart but I cannot find posts I made in My Profile. When I look at My Activity it says I do not have any recent activity, which is obviously not true as I made this post just yesterday.
    SL activity.JPG
    I click on your name and says view forum posts

Or go to the left of that copied picture you posted and under your name it says view forum posts too