Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My car is frozen, a question

For the past three days it's been -20F degrees here. When I turn on the ignition, everything lights up and I here a ticking sound. One thing I noted; the dash does it's animation with all the dials sweeping back and forth. All except the fuel gauge, which reads empty. I know I have about an 80% full tank. Could it be the fuel line is frozen? Tomorrow it's suppose to be 40 degrees. But I don't know if it will thaw out quickly.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think the fuel is frozen …..gas won't freeze even at -50F ….. however if there is water in that gas it will freeze ….. the only good thing about Ethyl ( alcohol ) in the gas is the fuel company has already done what a lot of folks used to do ….pour in a container of Gas ANTI-FREEZE ….. I think your Battery is the issue ….. Have you put jumper cables on it from a running vehicle ???? ….. PS - you probably have fuel injection Y/N ? …. Fuel injection isn't as Temp sensitive as Carbs were …………….. good luck ………… Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    For the past three days it's been -20F degrees here. When I turn on the ignition, everything lights up and I here a ticking sound. One thing I noted; the dash does it's animation with all the dials sweeping back and forth. All except the fuel gauge, which reads empty. I know I have about an 80% full tank. Could it be the fuel line is frozen? Tomorrow it's suppose to be 40 degrees. But I don't know if it will thaw out quickly.
    Try turning your headlights on for a few minutes. The flow of electricity through the battery may warm it up enough to let it kick out the power it needs to start the engine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

It's most likely that your battery is just a little tired & doesn't have quite enough oomph to turn the start & engine over, altho it does have enough to turn on the dash lights etc; maybe there's just not enough juice in there to prime the fuel pump either. That is a common problem in our snowfields here in Oz, & frequently the 'quick fix' for the 'ticking starter' was simply to pour a jug or kettle full of hot water over the battery, give it about 30 seconds to a minute to let the warmth seep into the battery & 'excite all those electrons' before you try to start the engine again. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need a jump start with a substantially charged battery, a long charge, or a whole new fully charged battery! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Make sure the radiator fluid isn’t frozen too.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a volt meter to your battery and see how much voltage it drops. Sounds like the battery took a crap!

Or take it to the autozone or whoever have them test the battery.

The battery may have enough juice to turns on lights etc but not start the car. Ex; ticking noise from starter??

Spyder Garage

I agree with the above statements. The ticking noise is a sign of the starter not being energized. Two things that cause that are poor battery, or bad starter solenoid. At -20 your battery is putting out about 1/2 it's normal output, and if it was less than new output at above freezing temps it will not have the juce to turn the stater over.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

We keep one these in our vehicles just in for these situations. We in live Las Vegas where the heat cooks the batteries in short order and may leave you stranded. These are small and packs enough juice to start your car several times without being recharged. Got one for each of my 4 sons. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I'd start with the battery. Check voltage sitting and under load.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

It's time to take the battery out and put it on a maintainer until you're ready start the car.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IgoFar2 View Post
    It's time to take the battery out and put it on a maintainer until you're ready start the car.
    Not necessary to remove the battery to do that.

And he did NOT say that he was actually trying to run the starter when he heard the ticking sound; it likely is something like a brake system accumulator pump.

But I agree with the others who suggest that the battery is sick.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has it warmed-up, and thawed-out yet?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well, it did turn out to just be the battery. Thing is, the battery is not that old. But getting it fixed was a mess. I woke up Saturday morning determined to get that thing fixed. But then I noticed my furnace was not working So the day became dominated with getting that fixed first. So I made an appointment for Sunday at Firestone for 2PM. They where the only ones open. I call OnStar and they get a tow truck but it won't be here till 1:45 Great, now I'm going to miss the appointment. Then OnStar calls me back and says the tow company can't help and they need to find a new provider. So I wait. OneStar calls again and says they found a place that will give me a jump. At that point, I did not know if that was the problem but I said OK, have then come over. Fortunately it was the battery, and I was able to make my 2PM appointment. So now I'm good.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Great....

thank for getting back to us with the good news that the problem was a simple one. Was just about to join in with the "It's the battery" group....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, it did turn out to just be the battery. Thing is, the battery is not that old.
    What exactly is "not that old" ?
    Was it a type where the water level should be checked ?

Now that you have a new one, the charging voltage needs to be checked when the car is running.

Spyder Garage

Here in North Las Vegas, we have just the opposite we deal with the heat. We expect to change batteries every three years.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    What exactly is "not that old" ?
    Was it a type where the water level should be checked ?

Now that you have a new one, the charging voltage needs to be checked when the car is running.
    It was 2 years old and not used that much. I only do about 10K miles a year.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    Here in North Las Vegas, we have just the opposite we deal with the heat. We expect to change batteries every three years.
    I am an Air Force vet. I was stationed at Wright-Patterson and Osan AB.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Get a can of heat for fuel that should thaw the gas out. It works. Displaces the water in the gas and thaws it out back to a liquid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was 2 years old and not used that much. I only do about 10K miles a year.
    "Not used that much" can be hard on batteries too.
    You need to keep it fully charged when it just sits for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    Get a can of heat for fuel that should thaw the gas out. It works. Displaces the water in the gas and thaws it out back to a liquid.
    I remember " HEET " from a long time back - BEFORE they started adding " ETHANOL " to the Gas …..perhaps they changed the Formula, but if my memory serves HEET was mostly Alcohol...… just a thought ….. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I remember " HEAT " from a long time back - BEFORE they started adding Ethyl to the Gas
    You were driving in 1921? https://aoghs.org/products/tetraethyl-lead-gasoline/

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The product being discussed is HEET. And Ethyl refers to tetraethyl lead.
    He is 0 for 2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The product being discussed is HEET. And Ethyl refers to tetraethyl lead.
    He is 0 for 2.
    I have corrected my post #22 to the proper TERMINOLOGY ……. ETHYL is NOT Ethanol !!!! …Ethanol is what I meant …….sorry ….Mike