Spyder Garage

Default 36mm oil filter socket

Need a socket for the oil filter on the 1330 engine and also for the rear axle nut.
    Would the same socket work for both? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes But will only work on one side of the axle due to clearance can you the same short 36 MM socket for the Oil filter housing too.

Spyder Garage

Buy a box or open end 36mm wrench from amazon for the right side axle nut.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ordered one from Harbor Freight for cheap. Since I will only use it maybe three times, don't care if it is a cheapy

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by toolie View Post
    Need a socket for the oil filter on the 1330 engine and also for the rear axle nut.
    Would the same socket work for both? Thanks
    Here's what I bought. A bit pricey but the big benefit is you can use it as an extension to your torque wrench and so a 1/2" torque wrench will easily work to get the nut to proper torque.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R7ORS34...548980961&sr=1

613hgE2ZIEL._SL1500_.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Since it's being pitched as an oil and fuel filter socket I wonder how well it'll hold up to the torque required for the rear axle nut.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Since it's being pitched as an oil and fuel filter socket I wonder how well it'll hold up to the torque required for the rear axle nut.
    I dont have this exact model but do use one very similar and works fine for the torgue of the axle .

Spyder Garage

Here's what I bought. A bit pricey but the big benefit is you can use it as an extension to your torque wrench and so a 1/2" torque wrench will easily work to get the nut to proper torque.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R7ORS34...548980961&sr=1

613hgE2ZIEL._SL1500_.jpg
    If you use an extension on a torque wrench the reading will be way off but I think you could compensate for that:for example if the extension is 1' long then set your wrench at half of the desired torque.I think this would work but dont quote me,If it was me I wouldn't use an extension at all if your trying to get it exactly right.Ive got a real good feel for bolts and on that particular bolt I just make it good and tight but if I was doing stretchable cylinder head bolts I would use my Snap On torque wrench with angle meter.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    If you use an extension on a torque wrench the reading will be way off but I think you could compensate for that:for example if the extension is 1' long then set your wrench at half of the desired torque.I think this would work but dont quote me,If it was me I wouldn't use an extension at all if your trying to get it exactly right.Ive got a real good feel for bolts and on that particular bolt I just make it good and tight but if I was doing stretchable cylinder head bolts I would use my Snap On torque wrench with angle meter.
    Formulas for making the correction are readily available via Google. Torque and the resulting tension in the bolt, or axle in this case, will so variable variations caused by using an extension will have insignificant impact. In any case it will more accurate than your 'feel' method!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I'm not so sure about your hypothesis about how the torque wrench works ……. ie , how does your Torq. wrench know how long the handle is ???? ….the length of the handle ( acts as a lever ) can reduce the amount of force needed to move it ( against the pressure at the business end )…. IMHO it won't change the force needed at the socket ( where the force needed is shown - if digital readout ) …….

Spyder Garage

Mike, it depends on which end of the tool is extended. In your example extending the handle does indeed leave the reading correct. The 36mm flat adaptor shown above goes on the drive end of the wrench. This will effect the reading considerably.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Mike, it depends on which end of the tool is extended. In your example extending the handle does indeed leave the reading correct. The 36mm flat adaptor shown above goes on the drive end of the wrench. This will effect the reading considerably.
    Yes I saw the Flat Adapter - but I couldn't figure out How it could attached to a Torque Wrench ………………..Mike

Spyder Garage

Square hole on small end slips on the 1/2" square drive.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

OK, let me offer up an explanation of how the torque wrench extender works. Refer to this setup I have here.

Wrench with extension.jpg

As I'm sure you know torque is force x distance. With my wrench the distance from the handle pivot point to the center of the square drive is 17", or 1.417 ft. The scale shows the force that is applied to the handle multiplied by 1.417 so when the torque reading is, say 70 ft-lbs, the force on the handle is 50 lbs (70/1.417). Now, let's add the extension, which in this case is 6" or .5 ft. If I pull on the handle with 50 lbs force the wrench scale will show 70 ft-lbs but the torque being applied to the nut will be 50 lbs x 1.917 ft, or 96 ft-lbs.

When I torqued the rear axle nut on my RT the spec is 166 ft-lbs, so I needed to pull on the handle with 86.6 lbs force (166 ft-lbs/1.917 ft = 86.6 lbs). Multiply 86.6 by 1.417 ft, the length of the torque wrench, you get 122.7 ft-lbs. That is within the scale of my wrench so by pulling on the handle until the torque reading was 122 I applied 166 ft-lbs torque to the axle nut.

To use an extension to torque a nut beyond what the wrench will do, take the required torque, divide by the total length of the wrench plus extension, then multiply by the wrench length. Remember, when you pull on the torque wrench it is important to hold the handle so that all the force is applied to the pivot point.

Hope this helps.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Square hole on small end slips on the 1/2" square drive.
    WOW - that was not something I would ever think could work ...…………………...thanks for the explanation ...…….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They work good in tight places but you do have to be careful and follow the above procedure.

Spyder Garage

There are Android apps for the extension/torque calcutation.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some are Android intolerant So we have to use the old pen and paper method

Spyder Garage

If the adapter is positioned 90 degrees to the torque wrench, the reading direct.

When torquing the rear axle, you should not torque on the axle, the axle should be held stationary and the nut is tightened to specs.

Is anyone else aware that if you have an RT series, maybe even the F3, if you push the exhaust system over, the exhaust will deflect in the rubber mounts and allow a torque wrench with a socket to be fitted onto the nut for tightening.

Spyder Garage

OK, let me offer up an explanation of how the torque wrench extender works. Refer to this setup I have here.

Wrench with extension.jpg

As I'm sure you know torque is force x distance. With my wrench the distance from the handle pivot point to the center of the square drive is 17", or 1.417 ft. The scale shows the force that is applied to the handle multiplied by 1.417 so when the torque reading is, say 70 ft-lbs, the force on the handle is 50 lbs (70/1.417). Now, let's add the extension, which in this case is 6" or .5 ft. If I pull on the handle with 50 lbs force the wrench scale will show 70 ft-lbs but the torque being applied to the nut will be 50 lbs x 1.917 ft, or 96 ft-lbs.

When I torqued the rear axle nut on my RT the spec is 166 ft-lbs, so I needed to pull on the handle with 86.6 lbs force (166 ft-lbs/1.917 ft = 86.6 lbs). Multiply 86.6 by 1.417 ft, the length of the torque wrench, you get 122.7 ft-lbs. That is within the scale of my wrench so by pulling on the handle until the torque reading was 122 I applied 166 ft-lbs torque to the axle nut.

To use an extension to torque a nut beyond what the wrench will do, take the required torque, divide by the total length of the wrench plus extension, then multiply by the wrench length. Remember, when you pull on the torque wrench it is important to hold the handle so that all the force is applied to the pivot point.

Hope this helps.
    Yes, this is a good method to reach torque on a wrench not capable of a high enoungh torque range.

Consider though, any error, by human use or improper calibration is multiplied also.

As for, in regards to the handles pivot, not all torque wrenches require that feature. Bending beam style wrenches as shown in the photo do require the pivot in order to accurately bend the beam and indicate the reading.

Click type or dial type torque wrenchs do not have pivot handles and they are not required.

Also, if anyone needs to do the correct torque, without owning a torque wrench. Build a wrench. Measure from the center of the socket to where you grip the wrench. 166 lbft is equal to 166 pounds on a 1 foot bar. Or 83 pounds on a two foot bar. Or 55.3 pounds on a three foot bar. Mack Daddy leverage with ease of effort, 41.5 pounds on a four foot bar.

Buy the combination wrench and some strong pipe. Cut the wrench and weld or somehow secure the 1/2 wrench into a known length of pipe. Mark the distance for hand hold and applied the proper amount of pounds. Use a fish scale if needed.

If I did not have the large Snap On torque wrench, I would likely build what I explained above. Done right the one wrench props against the ground while the other is turned.