Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder, Best Kept Secret

I lurk here as some Spyder riders know, I chase this forum every day, I want to read that the Spyder is the best kept secret in the trike/motorcycle world, with the emphasis on touring. Excluding here the Ryker, it has it's own special place. My post is not meant to start anything, just thoughts that pass through my mind. Understand that I know there is no 'perfect' machine, just a comment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with you: the Spyder is a GREAT touring machine...
    I think that the Ryker will still need to find it's niche; but it sure has a lot of promise!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right Bob, thought you'd respond, you're the Spyder guru. I agree, the Ryker has a lot of promise with many addon's available to personalize. So it could well morph into a cruiser, or a sport tourer, at a price that wouldn't break the bank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the limited cargo capacity that you get with an OEM setup (with all of the options): I'd agree that "Sport Tourer" might be a very good description of it's capabilities.

I'm no "Guru": just a loudmouth with an opinion...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The RT is a great touring machine. my wife and I tour the western US every summer. It tours great and holds all our stuff. No more vertigo for her and she is a happy camper ( well, we don't "camp" now).

Yes a great Touring bike----------- Which is why I keep a V-Max at the ready .

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Only got to ride my RT 2000mi before weather tanked but my hunny and I both are looking forward to traveling this season!We both like it better than the 2 wheeler,it's just so easy to ride!And room for gear.

Spyder Garage

Default Far and beyond....

I find it the most fun you can have on a three wheeler since adolecence... not a tourer but a back road ryder on the original model RS . My friends on the RT's will agree with you and the only thing they mention is little more room needed for parking and you can't lane split...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

+1 My wife has rode and slept more miles on the back of our RTL since 2016 than she rode on the back of all my other bikes together... She's touring comfy now.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Your right, the first thing my wife told me was that the stress was gone being on the back of our RTL. She no longer has to worry that I'll drop the bike with her on it. With my knee starting to fail, the spyder was the logical choice
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red

Spyder Garage

I have been fortunate to be with the program since 2008. I got the first GS sold to a customer in Alaska.

All of my Spyders ended up in the "touring" configuration. That was my "thing" up until 2014.

We put over 23,000 miles on the 2008 in two years...driving it all over AK. June to Nov the first year and March to Nov the second year.

We made our GS and RS into "tourers" before the RT was available (2010). I now have my second Vulcan 900 for when I want to ride...cruiser style.

I have shown the picture of our 2008 and 2009 "tourers" before...but for you newer members.....

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...chmentid=20863
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-31-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The RT is a very good two-up touring rig. My wife and I have done extended weekends and it has plenty of storage for us and room for comfort. Also good weather protection.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

For me a Spyder was my only choice. I am simply too old to risk two wheels. Prior to my 78th birthday I had not ridden on three wheel since childhood. Now at 80+ I can still get out and ride. I must admit I miss leaning into turns and the heady thrills of it. I don't miss the chance of losing hide sliding down the street. I have a 2015 RTs in yellow. I am fortunate enough too live in Florida so get great riding weather. My wife is a colon cancer survivor but still enjoys riding with me. Due to surgeries she requires supplies with her at all times. The RT give plenty of both comfort and room, although she does require an extra cushion. We only have added cup holders and drivers back rest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you all for your reply's, just what I was looking for. Wanderingman from Clermont, I'm from Lakeland, maybe we can can hook up for a RTE one of these times. Blessings to your wife, I'm aware of your concern, my wife in 2003 didn't make it from the same insidious disease nine years after being a widower, my new wife and I were out and about the trike, life is good. Some of you have posted about your 'long rides', so that grabbed my interest for week away ride and storage.