Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How old is to old to ryde a Spyder or a Ryker?

Many times I have seen/heard discussions about at what age a person is to old to drive a vehicle but no mention of motorcycles (especially 3 wheel ones). Yes I am getting to be an old fart, and one of these days my kids will say it is time for me to stop driving. Of course they will also say to stop ryding my Spyder.

So my question to folks out there "In your opinion at what age should a person stop ryding?"

I did not put this thread in Off Topic Board as I believe it is very much a Spyder General Discussion.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

IMO...a specific age is not the right way to look at it. Different people are going to have different skill levels at different ages.

Some of the things that should make one consider hanging up the Spyder:

Inability to properly work the controls.

Distracted driving..as in early dementia.

Inability to make proper judgments with general driving rules and regulations.

When it becomes a safety issue for self and others...then it is time.

My .02
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-30-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you're dead...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a neighbor who told me that I was being stupid for cutting my own grass, I asked him if he would do it for me Give me a break, I'm only 79.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

There are currently some 80+ years old Spyder owners/drivers out there. Maybe we can get some of them to chime in.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-30-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The big thing is enough self-awareness to know when someone is beyond safe for themselves and begins putting others in danger. Although balance on a Spyder is not an issue, there needs to be enough upper body strength to turn and lower body strength to stay planted in the saddle. As long as one can do those things, with decent reactions and a clear mind... have at it. I have a friend who still drives his car, with his wife, to lunch... and he's 100. And... he's not scary at all behind the wheel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    When you're dead...
    What Bob says!

I'm 76 and just climbed off a 900+ lb touring bike and onto a Spyder. Slow speed turns were becoming uncomfortable, but other than that ... was having fun.

And I don't care what my kids think! They may be better educated than I am, but they're not nearly as smart!

Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

But have ryden with several well over 80 but as stated by AKspyderman there are many things to consider. So I say if you can then there is no age...o
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Peoples perception of the spyder is more how old you have to be to "start" riding one. LOL
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

There's no such thing as too old. If you can still do it, then do it!
    I just graduated from college again a couple of years ago. I told the history professor that I didn't learn any history in his class, I was just reminiscing!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

You don't get too old to ride - you get old BECAUSE you stop riding!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Many times I have seen/heard discussions about at what age a person is to old to drive a vehicle but no mention of motorcycles (especially 3 wheel ones). Yes I am getting to be an old fart, and one of these days my kids will say it is time for me to stop driving. Of course they will also say to stop ryding my Spyder.

So my question to folks out there "In your opinion at what age should a person stop ryding?"

I did not put this thread in Off Topic Board as I believe it is very much a Spyder General Discussion.
    Is that a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    When you're dead...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You don't get too old to ride - you get old BECAUSE you stop riding!
    with Bob and Peter!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

There are several 80+ year old Iron Butt Riders, last year one rode his beemer through all 48 US States twice, back to back. And that's among a small group of people who document their rides publicly.
    I have bookmarked an article about a guy from Michigan Ward Blanchard, who did an Iron Butt ride at 89 years old on his RTL.
    The oldest IBA'r to ride Coast to Coast (in 48 hours) was 80yo in 2015 (on a 2 wheeler....)
    And I'm sure there are more non-IBA folks riding there 2 and 3 wheel cycles for "normal" rides.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

As long as you are not putting yourself or others in danger -- I say ride on!
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

91 and I ride almost every day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    As long as you are not putting yourself or others in danger --
    there are PLENTY at all age groups that can't even do that NOW

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Don’t know. Soon to be 80 and just bought a new 17f3 Ltd. bought 5 years of warranty and plan using it at least that long.

Spyder Garage

There are some who should never ride. They just do not understand the nuances of open air riding (2 or 3 wheels), and cannot do it safely. I've ridden with a few of these. It does not necessarily have anything to do with their intelligence. It can be scary to watch them. Because you know it is just a matter of time.

There are some that lose their ability to ride relatively early in life.

There are some who can ride well into their 90's and beyond.

The thing is. Each of us needs to be honest and sober with ourselves about our skill level. If we are willing to quit when it is necessary, then we should ride as long as it can be done with safety for ourselves and others.

What I do not want to happen is to have someone tell me I need to quit... when I knew it before they cared enough to say so.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The thing is. Each of us needs to be honest and sober with ourselves about our skill level. If we are willing to quit when it is necessary, then we should ride as long as it can be done with safety for ourselves and others.

What I do not want to happen is to have someone tell me I need to quit... when I knew it before they cared enough to say so.

My grandmother did not renew her driver's license at her 100th birthday. She was driving fine, didn't doddle, and never had an accident. She said "Its just time." My mother lived with her, so she had a
    Chauffeur. She pass a few years ago right before her 105th. I think she could have driven a few more years at least.

I just hope that I can make that decision before others get hurt by my not making the choice to stop.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

What are YOU comfortable with? I have a good friend who just sold his Suzuki V-Strom 1000 this winter because he just doesn't feel as comfortable on two wheels as he used to. Wayne is 91 and he moved on to a Mazda Miata. Wayne was a high mileage rider and was ready to go anywhere in any weather, but he told me last fall that it was time to hang up his helmet. I applaud him for knowing it was time, but I miss riding with him. I have another friend who at 82 sold his Goldwing and bought a maxi scooter. If you are comfortable riding a Spyder or anything else then go for it.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My observation and conversations with guys who do driver testing the situation is usually the exact reverse. Others know well before you do that it's time to quit driving.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    The day when your spouse, child, sibling, friend, or neighbor says, just as you getting ready to drive off, "No, let me drive." That's not to be confused with, "Would you like for me to drive?", or, "You want me to drive?" When you've reached the point of not safely driving a car, you've reached the point of not being able to safely ride a m/c.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am 86 and started riding in 1948. I went to three wheels when my knee gave out and I could not hold my GW up if it got off balance. I will ride as long as I feel safe and safe to those I ride with. I will know that time and quit riding.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Just be honest with yourself and act accordingly. I think that's the best way. When people tell others what they shouldn't do or should do, it gets messy and confusing. If you know someone who is questionable, observe quietly. The worse part about getting older is losing your freedom to move about as you see fit.

Spyder Garage

You certianly are an inspiration to us Youngsters that are still riding! Thanks for letting us know, it ain’t over till they put the lid on our Cremation Urn or Coffin! I am 77, and am still riding my 2016 RT Limited, along with my 2009 Harley Heritage that I bought last June when my Spyder was tied up in the Shop for the Sproket/ Pulley Repair that took 2-1/2 months to finally get done. I had quit riding my 2002 Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic that I had been riding since age 60, and was having knee problems, and traded it for a new 2012 RT Limited, at age 70, and put 55,400 miles on it before upgrading to the new 2016 RT Limited in April 2017, at age 76. My knees are still bad, but I can still hold up the Harley OK, but only One up. But again, your inspiration should motivate us Youngsters to keep on keeping on, as long as we can keep climbing up on the seat and are able to see the road! Realistically, I doubt I will still be riding my Harley at your age, if I make it that long, but my Spyder should still be manageable. Stay Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I am 86 and started riding in 1948. I went to three wheels when my knee gave out and I could not hold my GW up if it got off balance. I will ride as long as I feel safe and safe to those I ride with. I will know that time and quit riding.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze