Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You don't get too old to ride - you get old BECAUSE you stop riding!
    Amen...

Getting Old.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Our oldest Spyder customer is 93 years young and going strong!

Spyder Garage

we have an 86 year "young" member of NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) who annually goes on extended rides in excess of 5,000 miles.. matter of fact, he asked me if I was interested in riding with him this year.. I opted to not participate as I am 78 years "young" and didn't feel I was up to riding that distance in one outing.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I have been riding with a motorcycle gang here in Arizona since retiring in 05'. (Well, we've morfed into a tricycle gang) There is one couple, he is now 94 and she is 92, who still ride with us weekly. When we do 2-3 day trips they don't go. But daily rides are no problem. In fact, Tom (that's his name) has been a leader for desert 4 wheeling for over 25 years. He has lead me astray many times on his quad. Most of us have graduated from a quad to a side-be-side but Tom says he is too old to change. He just keeps leading us into near impossible places riding his quad. Hard to beat knowledge and experience..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

80 and enjoying my F3T. Switched to 3 wheels when I felt unsteady on my CB750 and Triumph Trident. I have just bought a BSA 350 though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by powpilot View Post
    What Bob says!

I'm 76 and just climbed off a 900+ lb touring bike and onto a Spyder. Slow speed turns were becoming uncomfortable, but other than that ... was having fun.

And I don't care what my kids think! They may be better educated than I am, but they're not nearly as smart!

Gary
    Would that touring bike be a GW?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    we have an 86 year "young" member of NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) who annually goes on extended rides in excess of 5,000 miles.. matter of fact, he asked me if I was interested in riding with him this year.. I opted to not participate as I am 78 years "young" and didn't feel I was up to riding that distance in one outing.
    BIG F
    Wow, I'd like read about his rides, does have a vlog? I don't see many posts here about 5K mile Spyder trips, and I'd like to know more about those rides. I'm guess this old timer has a pull behind.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And so, which one do you like best, the Spyder or the GW Motor Trike?

Spyder Garage

Take your current age and add 15 years for a good rule of thumb and just keep adding until you feel comfortable

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, I am really down with that number.

Spyder Garage

As long as I have a wife to tell me how to drive! I will keep driving.LOL

Spyder Garage

I am soon to be 82 and have no plans to stop anytime soon. Thinking about a rte 66 ride in 2020.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for a great thread .. 73 years young here and the 80+ year youngsters make me feel even younger. LOL

Spyder Garage

I put the two wheeler out to pasture after a serious accident in 2011 when I was 66. I could no longer trust my situational awareness when on two wheels. I wasn't ready to pull my knees out of the breeze so I went to 3 wheels. For me the level of SA was not as great as for 2 wheels. I am now 72 and hope to continue riding for several more years. This last year I have realized how important personal conditioning is in order to have the mental and physical stamina necessary to ride longer distances. I hope I am aware enough to put the helmet and leathers away when the time comes, but until then I will continue to enjoy riding. Since you are asking the question I think you will know when it is time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Many times I have seen/heard discussions about at what age a person is to old to drive a vehicle but no mention of motorcycles (especially 3 wheel ones). Yes I am getting to be an old fart, and one of these days my kids will say it is time for me to stop driving. Of course they will also say to stop ryding my Spyder.

So my question to folks out there "In your opinion at what age should a person stop ryding?"

I did not put this thread in Off Topic Board as I believe it is very much a Spyder General Discussion.
    I am 80+ yeas old. I recently drove a Honda CRV from Orlando to the center of Texas in 1.5 days. I drive Uber in the Orlando area to make the payments on my Spyder Rts. And yes I still ride my Rt. I believe physical age is not the factor it is mental age. My father in law was still driving safely into his mid 90's. I have a good friend in his mid 60's who can not drive long at all because it tires him mentally. Recently I stopped riding with a motorcycle club because when we ride close as is needed in a large group, I tend to come home very tired. I enjoy the ride but the stress of the closeness is too much. When I drive Uber I tend to drive the speed limit or slightly higher, but leave bigger gaps than in my younger days. In this way I do not obstruct other traffic and can drive in all types of traffic.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you for all the comments and inputs to this discussion. I am not thinking of putting the saddle away and hanging up my spurs for a while. But I thought the pros and cons would be helpful for all of us in the future.

I had previous thought that the Spyder family would view the thought of giving up ryding different than a driver giving up driving a car. I think that the comments so far back that up.

Drivers tend to go from point A to point B and then back to A. Point A being home and point B is work, or store, or restaurant or doctors office, etc. Yes I do know some drivers that just hop in a car and go for a drive to enjoy the mountains, woods, oceanside, or just the open road, but not many do that.

A biker will also go from point A to point B and back to point A as the car drivers do. BUT many will also go to point C before heading back home. I have read a few times here where someone has gone to the store (perhaps a 10 minute ryde) and it took an hour or so to get home from the store because they went for a nice ryde before heading home. We also go for rydes to enjoy the sights, to ryde in the mountains, woods, along the ocean side, to ryde with friends, to see old friends, to meet new friends, to look at other bikes (all types), to wave fellow bikers (no matter what they are riding).

When a driver has to put the car keys away I believe it would be a loss of freedom.

When a rider has to give up a motorcycle it is not only a loss of freedom but giving up all the joys that has been experienced in ryding and new experiences that will be missed.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Is that a trick question?
    Really. It reminded me of being very young when my boss answered a similar question with, "How long is a piece of string?"

I bought my first Spyder at 73 and immediately took the Safety Course on two-wheelers, which I hadn't ridden since about age 15. I really enjoyed swooping around the parking lot on it for old time's sake, but I knew right then that I'd never again ride two-wheelers in traffic. Now, 6 years and 95,000 miles later, I see no end yet to enjoying 3-wheelers. And 4-wheelers in the forest!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are some who should never ride. (Or drive. {added my moboy}) It does not necessarily have anything to do with their intelligence
    Exactly. It's MOXIE, not intelligence. A good friend considerably younger than me is waaaaaaaay more intelligent than I am, but to ride with him in a car just makes me cringe!

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

IMHO that's a silly question.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have to ask that, you shouldn't be riding at all.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I be 87 and still having a great time ryding so guess I will continue for a bit, Been ryding since 1945 and still loving it. The Spyder keeps me air born and its great! Like some of the others had to give up my Valkyrie as could not pick it up if occasion happened but having just as much fun on my ryde now. Havent had it full open only to 105 mph but it handles good at any speed. Just enjoy!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    If you have to ask that, you shouldn't be riding at all.
    I put forth the question so that we could all think about it and talk about it. So yes, I ASKED the question, and no I do not plan on stopping for many years.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me it will be when my brain & arms turn to mush

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow Mr. Bones, 87, pleased to see someone on this forum is older than I am, 86 years this month. I lurk on this forum to see all I can see about the Spyder, I ride 3 wheels, but just not right now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

KUDOS! To bikerbillone and Mr. Bones. One of you ought to start a thread asking everyone older to chime in and report their age. (Everyone younger, please do not clutter!)

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar