Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wiring harness

I have a 2017 RT with automatic. I recently bought a harbor freight tag along trailer. I have been looking on here about which hitch and wiring harness to get, and it seems like the more I look the worse I get confused. I’ve heard showchrome has both. I’m sure I want to get an isolated harness, it looks like showchrome is 5 wire, is it hard to go from 5 to 4 wire plug ? Also is showchrome plug and play installation ? Are their hitches good ? Spyder wiring harnesses are appearantly the best, but are so darn expensive. Are their any other good isolated plug and play harnesses, and hitches ? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Canamspyderaccessories.com has a great hitch & plug and play harness. I have installed it on my 2016 RT-S. Straight forward simple installation.
    http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...trailer-hitch/

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Tr...-AMSpyder.aspx look down the page for the wire harness
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I had the Show Chrome hitch on my STL and it worked well. Need to buy or make the mudflap too.

The Show Chrome harness for the RT is power isolated. You are correct and it ends in 5 bare wires. Connect an unpowered 3 to 2 converter. $20 - $30. Then a flat 4 plug to match your trailer. There is some extra work in installing this harness, over the BRP one. 2 Y connections for the right and left tail lights. Then also a power wire and ground.

The harness mentioned above from Can Am Accessories is not power isolated. So could cause hyper flash. Also if a short occurs in the trailer wiring. The Spyder lights will also fail, will cause faults and may cause Limp Home Mode to occur.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks billybovine, I was hoping that you would straighten it out for me. I was looking at the 5 wire colors on the showchrome, and they look to have different color coded than any 3 to 2 converters I have found. Is that a problem with connecting them ? How can I make sure I have it right ? Thanks,and thanks everybody that answered.

Spyder Garage

That's correct. The wires may not all be the same color. In the install instructions for each item it will tell you what function each color wire is for. So one at a time, connect each function wire to the matching function on each device. Attach a link to the converter you want to use. If there are instructions on line for it. I will give you the connections to make.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by speedyspyder View Post
    canamspyderaccessories.com has a great hitch & plug and play harness. I have installed it on my 2016 rt-s. Straight forward simple installation.
    http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...trailer-hitch/
    this!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Got the showchrome harness, a power,ess 3-2 converter, and showchrome hitch. Finally got everything put on. Hooked trailer up, and everything worked as it should. No sparks or smoke. I musta did something right for once. Thanks all