Thread: Ryker Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Alignment

When I took delivery four years ago of a new ST Limited, the alignment was wretched. I got out yesterday for my 1st ride on my new Rally ( Yes, I traded my ST for a Rally) and was quite pleasantly surprised. The alignment was good.

I'm not sure if alignment is done at the factory or at the dealership but somebody did a good job.

I'm a happy camper.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm interested in hearing about how you think the Ryker compares to the ST in terms of power and seating position.

Spyder Garage

I can't imagine your weather is much better than mine, but what are your impressions vs the ST?

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know

Your a lucky one but seems someone has posted that theirs was twitchy and an alignment cleared it up....Enjoy your new ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    When I took delivery four years ago of a new ST Limited, the alignment was wretched. I got out yesterday for my 1st ride on my new Rally ( Yes, I traded my ST for a Rally) and was quite pleasantly surprised. The alignment was good.

I'm not sure if alignment is done at the factory or at the dealership but somebody did a good job.

I'm a happy camper.
    I hope you don't mind if I prod you with a few questions?

Was your alignment anything like what I have illustrated in a few of my videos? Did you have general issues with it not tracking straight (constant pull to one side), drift while braking, or did it have "tail wag"? My latest video shows the effect fairly well. There are examples throughout the video, but very visible episodes at particular times. The VLOG is really long and boring, so here are some time markers of obvious occurrences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBTc_61bwgM&t=800s

Straight-line tail-wag (steady speed): at the 13:20, 15:30, and 17:00 time markers;
    Braking and deceleration tail-wag: at the 21:00, and 23:27 markers.

The feel from the seat is constantly happening above 20 mph, gets worse around 35-45, then is a real handful anywhere above 50+. You can see daylight under my left fingers/hand in many of the instances, so it's not an issue of bar input or unintentional counter-steer.

Thx in advance if you decide to take a look! I hope it's not a bother to watch/listen to my droning/blathering in the video.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Remember my alignment problem was with my ST when I bought it three or four years ago. Traveling down a straight highway, required continuous handlebar input. When negotiating a sweeping turn, the bike would tend to jump / jerk periodically through the turn.

I had the bike laser aligned and it was immediately perfect. Huge difference.

I understand that it is very difficult to align these tricycles using conventional means.

Spyder Garage

So far, I am thrilled with my decision to trade to the Ryker. Maintaining the ST was an absolute pain. I am not a fan of the final belt drive. I also did not like worrying about damaging that belt when traveling on gravel. I obviously like the longer service intervals Of the 900 Ace engine.

Like others, I'm blown away by the torque although I really have not put hardly any miles on yet because it has not been above 30゚ here. I agree with others that it is much more agile.

Plus, I just needed a new bike so that I could do some serious farkeling this winter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    Remember my alignment problem was with my ST when I bought it three or four years ago. Traveling down a straight highway, required continuous handlebar input. When negotiating a sweeping turn, the bike would tend to jump / jerk periodically through the turn.

I had the bike laser aligned and it was immediately perfect. Huge difference.

I understand that it is very difficult to align these tricycles using conventional means.
    Brilliant, thx for that. That's exactly what I'm experiencing, and then some. I'm hoping that I'm on the right path with the dealer to get this resolved. As for the laser alignment, I posted about that in another thread with Shawn Smoak's video about the procedure. I had no idea it was so complicated. I'm accustomed to diagnosing and aligning 2-wheel vehicles... relatively easy. Cars/trucks with thrust alignments... also relatively easy. These things have steering-angle sensors, rear wheel offset (relative to front track width), and completely different thrust angle concerns.

I'll link Shawn's video again here for consistency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjvYrjhsdWg&t=483s

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Regarding seating position, I'm a bit confused because the Ryker seating position is absolutely adjustable. If you want to ride like a sport bike you can. If you want to ride like a cruiser you can. The seat height is a couple inches lower but that just means that you are more sitting in the bike rather than on the bike. I like it. As a matter of fact, I like it a lot. The adjustability of the bars and the pegs is ingenious.

Spyder Garage

I started my pegs all the way forward but have been progressively moving them back; trying to find a comfortable position for my right knee. The bars have been all the way back from the start. I was a bit unsure about the seat height at 24.5 inches off the deck, my last seat was 33 inches high. However, I find the seat to be very comfortable and the riding position is not particularly intimidating in traffic.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Is the rear wheel fixed? As in no adjustments can be made? I’m interested in that part of the alignment. Any one know? Thanks, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

That's a heck of a good question. It certainly does look like it is fixed at the point the wheel is connected to the final drive. Could it be possible that the entire swing arm is adjustable?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Is the rear wheel fixed? As in no adjustments can be made? I’m interested in that part of the alignment. Any one know? Thanks, Joe
    The rear wheel is fixed on the Ryker as a function of the shaft drive. You can't have (nor is there any need for) adjustment when you have a shaft and a hypoid gear final drive. Unlike a belt or chain drive. A shaft drive must have a fixed and finely tuned relationship with all the mating components.

I am not saying that there cannot be any shim or similar system for fine tuning of the final drive alignment. But it is 'Fixed' as compared to the adjustment needed in any belt or chain driven final drive. This was, and still is a fair amount of the alignment issues experienced in the Spyder. Because the factory (initially) did not take the rear wheel into account when aligning the Spyder. This is a great deal of the beauty of the ROLO Laser Alignment System as it begins where it should. At the rear wheel.

Just having the rear wheel on the Ryker aligned properly will eliminate much of the alignment issues experienced with the Spyder.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-29-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I did mine this weekend and it was off about 3/8" on one target and 1/4" on the other. Is was crabbed to the left. It's perfect now.
    One thing I like is you can lock in the steering so you know the bars are straight.

50983453_2139017682808158_7022377206630318080_o.jpg50940750_2139017829474810_7021651455941541888_o.jpg50889890_2139017606141499_2443159994204422144_n.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I did mine this weekend and it was off about 3/8" on one target and 1/4" on the other. Is was crabbed to the left. It's perfect now.
    One thing I like is you can lock in the steering so you know the bars are straight.
    I know you are using the rear wheel to shoot from. Did you find the rear wheel correctly aligned? Or do you just take what it is and go from there?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know you are using the rear wheel to shoot from. Did you find the rear wheel correctly aligned? Or do you just take what it is and go from there?
    There's no way to adjust or check the rear wheel. The front's are now correct with the rear. The factory toe in was 5/8" in 75". This is what we'll be doing here at the shop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    There's no way to adjust or check the rear wheel. The front's are now correct with the rear. The factory toe in was 5/8" in 75". This is what we'll be doing here at the shop.
    I thought it would be this way. Now I just need to go the 680 miles (11 hr ride) to get it done. Probably not today!

Spyder Garage

Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Odd; double post. Thanks for the Answers. I’m sure we will do Rykers.
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

While my initial read on alignment upon delivery is pretty good, I will still have mine laser aligned as it makes a huge difference to riding pleasure over long distances. Believe it or not, I will be taking this Ryker on cross country tours. It will just take some creativity to make it work for long distance cruising.

The biggest factor is that I will need a couple of bags on the back of this thing; so, I'm waiting for after market folks to deliver ideas.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know where you can get the Ryker "laser aligned"? Is it at the dealer or is it a specialty thing?
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    Does anyone know where you can get the Ryker "laser aligned"? Is it at the dealer or is it a specialty thing?
    Anyone who can Laser Align a Spyder can also do a Ryker, of course. Some dealerships have the correct equipment. My concern is, if they don't do it enough to be expert at it. Or, if they do not take the time to get it just right. You're not getting your money's worth. And I have heard from customers that some dealerships claim to have Laser Alignment equipment, but actually, they do not.

I am not sure who, in your area, might do this. Hopefully, someone will chime in with more specific information for your area.

Spyder Garage

If I remember correctly the rolo laser alignment website has a listing of who has their equipment.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    If I remember correctly the rolo laser alignment website has a listing of who has their equipment.
    Not sure if it's OK to post this but here is the direct link: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    Not sure if it's OK to post this but here is the direct link: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm
    Thanks for the post No. 1 nice to know the dealer I will be test riding at has one.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac