Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS, Removing Rear Tire

Hi Guys, My original year 2008 Spyder has 34K miles on now (bought Nov 2008). I have removed the rear tire multiple times and on the re-install the adjusting of the belt is always a little pain. I just removed my rear tire again (having the 3rd tire put on and changing all the bearings) I decided to try something different. Instead of loosening the belt adjuster bolts I removed the bolt on the rear shock so the swing arm drops right down, this allows the belt to come right off. Once I re-install the rear wheel (I have not done that yet) the belt adjuster bolts should not need to be touched as it will be the same as it was (which was adjusted perfect).

This might not be a new thing to post here but I have not seen anyone talking about this before. This was a very easy to, you do need to use your lifting devise to get the lift adjusted so there is no pressure on that shock bolt, if adjusted just right the bolts comes off by hand once the nut is loosened.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-28-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Title

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is the method Lamont developed years ago. It works on the RTs as well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_QV0WaRNVM&t=112s
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

This method would have saved me a bunch of time messing with those belt adjustment bolts on previous wheel pulling events. Really is an easier way of doing this.

Thanks !!