Thread: bent frame

Spyder Garage

Default bent frame

Hi,
    i have had an accident with my Spyder ST S SE5 built in 2013.
    The frame ist bent and I need a new one.
    My dealer told me that the part with the number 705203515 ist not available in Europa (Germany).

Is eanybody able to help me..??

greatings from Germany
    R
    2014 STS SE5 , circuit yellow (metallic)

Spyder Garage

Are you going to do the swap job, or are you going to have a dealer do it? There are enough of these style bikes out there I would think that one may find what you are looking for in some salvage yard some where. I'll do some poking around and see what comes out. Good Luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by germanspyderrider View Post
    Hi,
    i have had an accident with my Spyder ST S SE5 built in 2013.
    The frame ist bent and I need a new one.
    My dealer told me that the part with the number 705203515 ist not available in Europa (Germany).

Is eanybody able to help me..??

greatings from Germany
    R
    Found one available here in the states. http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...3696-part.html. Twice what I paid for my 2013 RT
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Perhaps a call directly to BRP Cares is in order. They should be able to assist in sourcing as the bike is barely 5 years old.
    2012 RT-S and 2013 STL

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

SpyderJerry
    found one for $2,103.22 which replaces the part number mentioned but the questions is that is only the base frame and there are several sub-frames that go with it and , of course, are an added cost. Not familiar with the European used parts industry but here they are connected and you can search the US for parts. If you can try to find one over there will save a lot of shipping costs for sure....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hello,

many thanks for your answers..
    An authorized german CanAm-Dealer is advised to change the frame. While he has started and stripped the vehicle the new frame was delivered to him and was is the wrong part. The dealer tried to order online the right frame, but it is in Europe not available.
    Now BRP Germany will find out if they are possible to organize a new frame for my model.

I will inform you..

R

Spyder Garage

Check copart.com

I've seen a number of Spyders there. A previous flood bike would be ideal for your purposes.

Spyder Garage

I smashed my F3 and bent the frame, insurance decided not to write the bike off, but instead to rebuild it to the tune of $15,XXX CAD. Frame had to be special ordered from the factory in Quebec and took about 2 months to show up in BC after the order was placed. Good luck OP, hopefully this gets sorted before ryding season.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rlynchtx View Post
    Check copart.com

I've seen a number of Spyders there. A previous flood bike would be ideal for your purposes.
    and there are lots out there - if you find them ...………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi all,

I got email from BRP Germany and they told me a new frame is found and my dealer will receive it in a few days..

R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SmoovOpRatoR View Post
    I smashed my F3 and bent the frame, insurance decided not to write the bike off, but instead to rebuild it to the tune of $15,XXX CAD. Frame had to be special ordered from the factory in Quebec and took about 2 months to show up in BC after the order was placed. Good luck OP, hopefully this gets sorted before ryding season.
    IMHO the insurance company was stupid …. They could have bought the owner a new bike and sold His for parts …. Think about this - if you tried to build any vehicle from the parts bin - it will cost 10 x's what an already assembled veh. costs ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I really don't know how they can justify the expense of stripping it all down just to toss the bent frame & then re-build it all! There's a reason that most manufacturers no longer assemble these things by hand like that anymore - it just takes too long & costs too much for them to make any profit! And there's much more scope for messing something else up along the way, too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

you need 20 to 30 hrs to cjange the comlete frame..

R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I really don't know how they can justify the expense of stripping it all down just to toss the bent frame & then re-build it all! There's a reason that most manufacturers no longer assemble these things by hand like that anymore - it just takes too long & costs too much for them to make any profit! And there's much more scope for messing something else up along the way, too!
    I think the only reason the insurance company chose to do it this way is because I had a new vehicle replacement policy, had they written it off they wouldn't have been able to give me a depreciated value, they were required by the policy to give me full MSRP of a new unit, sooooooo, 15k rebuild was the cheaper route and they took it.

Spyder Garage

I'll allow that there might be legal interpretations &/or wording differences between policies & even countries, but do you actually HAVE to accept the insurance company's 'full strip & rebuild with a new frame' repair offer?? Most western world country's insurance laws require that the insurer gives you an acceptable payout or repair/replacement iaw the policy wording & the vehicle's age - and that usually means that just because they've made an offer about what they are intending to do to fix or replace your vehicle, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are required to bend over & just take their first offer, which is usually whatever they've calculated is their cheapest way out! You are normally allowed to dispute that they aren't making an appropriate offer altho you will need to be prepared to justify & argue your case, but you can argue that they aren't replacing or repairing your vehicle to an 'as it was pre-accident' standard. By completely stripping down your Spyder & rebuilding it with a new frame, they are introducing significant scope for defects or damage or just plain faulty assembly being introduced during the rebuild process; so unless it's already too late, if you have a 'New vehicle replacement' or 'like for like replacement' policy then maybe you should check the policy wording carefully and then be arguing that they shouldn't strip & rebuild yours with a new frame, but rather they should source a 'same condition' replacement vehicle as per the repair or replace wording in your policy!? Maybe you could even offer to find the replacement Spyder of equal value/in equal condition yourself?? Do check that wording carefully first tho!

Sure, it might not work, but surely if the policy wording supports a 'new vehicle' or 'like for like' replacement, then isn't that an argument worth making? I've rejected the insurance company's 'first offer' successfully a few times; unsuccessfully only once; but I did make sure that I had reasonable grounds on which to base my arguments. If your policy says that they'll repair your vehicle to the standard it was before the accident or they'll replace it with a vehicle of equal standard; then your argument should be along the lines of that by dismantling your damaged vehicle completely & then having a technician who has never completely built or re-built a 'new' spyder before actually doing the reassembly instead of the BRP Spyder production line with its quality control & checks then they aren't fulfilling the agreed terms of your insurance policy and you want a replacement 2013 ST S SE5 Spyder that's in the same condition yours was before the accident resulting in this claim.... surely it's worth the ask?!

Over to you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Bent Frame

with Peter, the chance that your Spyder is going to be " just like it was before " are not likely..... The level of competence to totally rebuild your Spyder imho is beyond the ability of 90% of the dealer Mechanics ……..back in the day I had a friend ( who was a Master mechanic ) made a nice living buying Gold Wings that were totaled by the insurance companies. Apparently GoldWingers were/are extremely fussy and aggressive about having their babies repaired, ie a bent fork tube would get the bike totaled ………. But if you already have the New Frame this is all Moot ……… I hope your dealers mechanics are the exception …… all the best ...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

Congrats on getting a frame. Good luck with the rebuild and hope you get back out on the road soon!!!
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

I don't know about BRP, but I did end up with frame damage on a Harley RoadKing a couple of years ago. Harley will not repair a bent frame, but they do offer to make a new one for you. The cost is quite high, so the insurance company totaled the bike rather than fix it.

In my case I was glad because I think a rebuild that extensive is never as good as the original.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I hope you are okay. Bending the frame on a Spyder sounds like it would at least hurt. I’m glad you found a frame for it.

There’s always time to lollygag.
    2012 RT , Pure Magnesium Metalic