Spyder Garage

Default Ryker 600 1000 mile update

This week I hit 1,000 miles. Since originally taking possession, I've visited the dealer twice. The first time, I had noticed smoke coming out from under the Ryker at a stop. Investigation showed that the oil dipstick hadn't been screwed in completely or had worked its way loose. They checked it out and released it back to me with an All OK.

The second time I took it back was due to the twitchy-ness of the steering when it was going over ripples in the road. I had noticed that it had a tendency to drift to the right. I thought the alignment was out and causing the bike to jump to the right, and I was over-correcting to the left. When they got finished, the service manager did admit that the tech said the alignment was way off. Since then, the bike has been steady in all circumstances! The alignment was the reason for the twitchy-ness (for my ride, anyway)! Rides like a dream now!

Ringing out the throttle, I noticed that the limiter on my Ryker is set at 6800RPM. It will hit that number, and then settle cycling between 6750 and 6800. The Ryker will still accelerate at this point (CVTs are great!) without skipping a beat. When the Ryker reaches 80, there is a noticeable reduction of acceleration, but I have been able to get it to 90mph. Seemed real solid at that speed, too.

Most of my riding as of late has been single rider. The MPG has been steadily improving. The measured MPGs have been 31, 32, 38, 31, 35 and 39mpg. The Ryker electronics reported an average of 32.8, 33.1, and 33.6mpg on the last three fill-ups.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Thanks for the update.. looking good for the little 600.. should be a winner for BRP....and fun for their owners...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freezefm View Post
    The second time I took it back was due to the twitchy-ness of the steering when it was going over ripples in the road. I had noticed that it had a tendency to drift to the right. I thought the alignment was out and causing the bike to jump to the right, and I was over-correcting to the left. When they got finished, the service manager did admit that the tech said the alignment was way off. Since then, the bike has been steady in all circumstances! The alignment was the reason for the twitchy-ness (for my ride, anyway)! Rides like a dream now!

Francis
    WOW, you just made my night! Thanks for your alignment report and that it was fixable! I have a Rally edition that is already back at the dealer for alignment and other issues. My symptoms are exactly as you described yours was behaving. I have only 40-ish miles on the clock, but it's not safe to ride at cruising speeds in traffic because the alignment is so bad (tail wag). Anything above 60 mph was intolerable, and Houston traffic almost never moves slower than 75 on most of my routes. That made me worry if I had just made a $13K error in judgement.

I track most of my bikes' mileages on Fuelly.com (under the same name used here on this forum). I will be posting my stats for the Rally there in the near future. It will be interesting to get some idea of the averages on these machines, and how big the consumption difference is between the 600 and 900. I commute 40-50K miles/year (spread across multiple vehicles), so I considered getting the 600 for better efficiency. Time will tell!

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. Glad to see some #'s on mileage.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

This is great news, really appreciate the update info, I have been saving up for my first purchase of a Ryker Rally edition, The three-wheel community is looking like it will be a great addition of new friends, I can hardly wait to get mine and be on the open road once again, it's been a long hard road to have to wait for but I am desperatly seeking the new adventures that await me!

Spyder Garage

Great information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Great information.
    Thanks for the info. I've only put 2 tanks of gas in so far and they have been in the 34 MPG range. Hope it improves with more miles. Also hope the windshield [waiting to install] does not knock it down.

Spyder Garage

Are the frames and accessories the same for the 600 and 900? I think they are, but would like to confirm. It appears that we need to start Squaring Away Rykers! Tooling on order. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Awesome to hear that the 600 hit 90! I am still doing research on which one to get, but this is helpful.
    Jacksonville, FL? Lex and Terry fan by chance?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuasiMotard View Post
    WOW, you just made my night! Thanks for your alignment report and that it was fixable! I have a Rally edition that is already back at the dealer for alignment and other issues. My symptoms are exactly as you described yours was behaving. I have only 40-ish miles on the clock, but it's not safe to ride at cruising speeds in traffic because the alignment is so bad (tail wag). Anything above 60 mph was intolerable, and Houston traffic almost never moves slower than 75 on most of my routes. That made me worry if I had just made a $13K error in judgement.

I track most of my bikes' mileages on Fuelly.com (under the same name used here on this forum). I will be posting my stats for the Rally there in the near future. It will be interesting to get some idea of the averages on these machines, and how big the consumption difference is between the 600 and 900. I commute 40-50K miles/year (spread across multiple vehicles), so I considered getting the 600 for better efficiency. Time will tell!

--
    QM
    I've been following your Youtube videos. totally informative. I'm hoping to hear good news from you regarding your tracking issues. I know you bring them up in most of your videos. Be sure to post an updates once you get them worked out, let us know how things worked out for you.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Thank you for sharing! May I ask why you chose the 600?

The more and more I look at Ryker's more I'm leaning to 600. I suspect many up coming learning changes in the design of the ryker. The reason why 600? I'm hoping be out the door 10 K for 600 vs 13 K for 900. I'm thinking when the time comes to sell should sell decently, lower value being a 600, but this is a beginner bike for a beginner market. From a pure investment Ralley Edition best due to all the extras, I just don't think I want to swallow that much of an investment. Time will tell. I'm waiting for the finance/rebate promo's.

Spyder Garage

Have ran 2 up on the 600, really curious how it will handle that.

Spyder Garage

I’m guessing they won’t be very different. Mine is the Rally but the ECU senses when the passenger foot pegs are down and feels like it de-tunes the engine, or maybe just disables everything but eco mode. Still ‘enough' power though.

FWIW, I was amazed that the Ryker felt more stable when riding two-up. I was afraid it might get squirrelly with another 100 lbs. on back, but no worries.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=nchangin;1422738]Thank you for sharing! May I ask why you chose the 600?QUOTE]

Primarily for the cost savings. I had an idea that the 600 would be enough for us as I came off a Yamaha Bolt. It has about the same power as the 600 and it handled 2 up just fine. I was right. With my wife on the back, it still scoots pretty good and we were able to get to 75mph easily enough.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steel View Post
    Have ran 2 up on the 600, really curious how it will handle that.
    It handles just fine. My wife says she is real comfortable on the back (with the folding passenger backrest) and no problems at speed.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Francis, thanks for the information.

We are eyeing a Ryker off as a 2nd bike to my 2017 RTL and they've just arrived here in Australia. Pain in the dottom the alignment not being right from the factory.

Would like to hear of your progress with the Ryker over time.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Most of my riding as of late has been single rider. The MPG has been steadily improving. The measured MPGs have been 31, 32, 38, 31, 35 and 39mpg. The Ryker electronics reported an average of 32.8, 33.1, and 33.6mpg on the last three fill-ups.

Francis
    Fuel consumption is totally dependent on speed and load. What sort of speeds were you maintaining for those consumption readings?
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Fuel consumption is totally dependent on speed and load. What sort of speeds were you maintaining for those consumption readings?
    My commute is about 18 miles one way. It usually consists of about 12 miles on 2 lane country roads running around 50 mph, 5 miles freeway running 65-70 mph, then city streets the rest of the way running 35 mph. Lately, I've been running about 7 miles on city streets (going home only) with the remainder being 50 mph country roads. I'm also checking to see if octane plays a factor. I ran the first 8 fill ups on standard 87 octane gas. The last 2 have been 92 octane premium. Still waiting for another 6 fill ups to compare.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    Thank you for sharing! May I ask why you chose the 600?

The more and more I look at Ryker's more I'm leaning to 600. I suspect many up coming learning changes in the design of the ryker. The reason why 600? I'm hoping be out the door 10 K for 600 vs 13 K for 900. I'm thinking when the time comes to sell should sell decently, lower value being a 600, but this is a beginner bike for a beginner market. From a pure investment Ralley Edition best due to all the extras, I just don't think I want to swallow that much of an investment. Time will tell. I'm waiting for the finance/rebate promo's.
    I would recommend you shop around on the price. I bought my wife's Ryker Rally for $9998.00. By the time the dealer added the freight, prep, top case, upgraded panels, & sales tax of 7%, the total was around $11,600.
    2019 Ryker Rally , Matte Black

Spyder Garage

My commute is about 18 miles one way. It usually consists of about 12 miles on 2 lane country roads running around 50 mph, 5 miles freeway running 65-70 mph, then city streets the rest of the way running 35 mph. Lately, I've been running about 7 miles on city streets (going home only) with the remainder being 50 mph country roads. I'm also checking to see if octane plays a factor. I ran the first 8 fill ups on standard 87 octane gas. The last 2 have been 92 octane premium. Still waiting for another 6 fill ups to compare.

Francis
    Are you tracking your MPG's on Fuelly or other public sites? I have been tracking several of my bikes for a few years on Fuelly and it's a great benefit to the community... particularly for prospective owners that are considering a purchase decision (e.g. 600 vs 900) based on fuel economy or for commuting duties. Gas is relatively cheap right now, but that can always change... anything north of $3.50-4.00/gallon and people start paying attention to MPG stats really quick.

Here is my Fuelly page for reference, if anyone is interested: https://www.fuelly.com/driver/quasimotard

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    And wind/weather conditions... particularly for smaller-displacement machines. A 15 MPH headwind on a smaller motorcycle can make a 25-30% impact on fuel economy at highway speeds.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

I would really like to be able to get 200-225 miles per tank on my Rally. My last bike did that with the same size fuel tank and I found that range to be very compatible with my bladder when traveling. Now as I get older......
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That seems doable to me. cueman