Thread: 2018 vs 2019

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 vs 2019

So my old RTS was totaled, 'nough said.
    Looking at the 2019 (now that the paperwork is settled), but I have a chance to purchase a "new" 2018. Does anyone know the differences in the two? Besides the price...
    As a prior Spyder owner, one of the original Premier Owners Group, I know BRP's reputation of putting out the technology and using the buyers to beta test. And fix is usually found in the next year product. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Spyder Garage

The only complaints we heard about the 2018's were issues with the new dashboard.

The 2019 are supposed to be less in price. No technical data that I have seen on the 2019's.

Hard choice to make.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There is hope they fixed the stupid azz dash
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

2018 is better than my 2015.The dash requires some time but still like it better . Steering is easrier.

Spyder Garage

Colours are the only difference.

Spyder Garage

I too am contemplating a new 2018 RT Limited, and have been trying to make up my mind on doing the deal or not. I currently own a 2011 RT Limited, and it has been a great bike, with about 35,000 miles traveled but it is now 8 years old. I am not sure about the GPS usage or any other of the features of the new Dash and the BRP Connect, or any of the other potential problems...If anyone who owns one and is familiar with these items could chime in and help out I would appreciate any input that they could add.....and would they purchase a 2018 again if they new then what they know now......Thanks, for any thoughts or advise.....
    OH!!! one other thing....I have a trailer hitch on the 2011, and pull a 2012 RT 622 trailer, does anyone know will the hitch off my 2011 work on the 2018, and does it use the same wiring harness or do I need to change part of this set up also????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Colours are the only difference.

What bscrive said.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

2018 F3 Limited Dark , Stock Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2011 trailer. It is way better built than the newer ones so replacing it is not a smart choice (the sales teams keep pushing it). There is a plug converter that helps to match up old wiring to new wiring (assuming that you know about the massive wiring change after moving from V-twin). My understanding is that we will loose some of the lights...backup lights? I went over to a dealership, selling the right color of 2018 (matching my trailer) and they don't know anything about 2018 vs 2019...but agree that BRP tends to fix the next generation of bikes...even modify later year models (software only). No dealership here has received anything but the Ryker 2019.
    So far it looks like keeping the old GPS set up is smarter as the connection between your phone and dash cannot be managed from the frunk, but that's where the wiring is set. This was a BRP decision as the RTS has a "glove" box that could have a plug in. There's nothing crappier than being in the middle of traffic, loosing your GPS/phone connection and having to find a safe place to pull over to re-connect.
    Carol Smead

Spyder Garage

No I was not aware of any wiring harness change but like you, I do NOT want a new trailer......the 622 is the way I want to stay....I also really don't want to loose any lights either...I am thinking I may need to call BRP and try to get some "compatibility" information from someone who should know the correct answers.( not that I don't believe you, but just some more specifics)......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once I learned how the new dash works and figured out how to create routes on either of the GPS apps as well as Rever I found it to be fantastic! I can glance at the GPS without loosing sight of the road. I can enjoy radio music in the Music app by starting the music before plugging it in. I can make and receive phone calls, track my millage, track my rides, keep an eye on tire pressure all with gloves on.

I have been using two iPhones, one connected to the dash(didn't have cell service) and one paired to my headset (with cell service) for Waze and SiriusXM radio but I had to look down every so often to check the route and wear fingerless gloves to be able to work the phone. I recently switched to using the cell service phone connected and paired to the dash and with a few weird glitches to learn I find it's great. Sometime when I stop for gas the volume is muted and when I try to get going I find I can hear any music and figured the volume was muted. Hopefully the new 20.3 update will fix these glitches.

I'm really enjoying it. It was a serious learning curve at first but I find using it and learning how to make it work pays off. I'm lovin' it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank-You Flamewinger, for the good information.....I just may go for the 2018......hope I figure it out as you have said you have......wish me Luck.....

Spyder Garage

White Wolf, I saw somewhere hereon within the past couple of days a post where someone said to download the 2019 RT user's guide and compare all the BRP Connect stuff it it to what's in the 2018 guide, apparently much better and more complete info. Just a thought.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 RT Limited, I went to a 2015 F3S and now own a 2018 F3 Limited for the passenger comfort.

I love it. The dash is amazing. Yes it has a few bugs and issues but anything like that is going to. Even the 19s etc will have their issues. They update and fix bugs as much as they can tho.

as for the GPS and the music in the dash etc, it does take some time to figure it all out. yes having my Phone infront of me or the Garmin GPS from the RT is a bit easier cause its right there. But as soon as you figure out the dash its awesome having everything right there.

to solve some issues make sure you set your phone to never lock when plugged into the bike. especially if you own an iphone. not to sure on the android phones but the iphone will lock itself and if you shut off the bike or take a phone call while doing the gps etc the phone will lock. Thats gets annoying fast lol.

But I have no regrets, I would do it again in a heart beat. I love new Tech

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Other then one color change. Orange instead of red. 18 and 19 are the same. If you get an 18 or 19 make sure you look to see if the 13.20 update is there or the dash wont work correctly. it's under settings and scroll to "about" It will have the update there.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The hitch for the newer RTs is different and the older model hitch won't work.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The front wheels are of a new design Meerkat

Spyder Garage

thanks, Everyone....as usual.....a lot of help from some people that have a lot of knowledge on Spyders.....THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Spyder Garage

So I am continuing on in my journey to find the differences between the 2018 vs 2019 RT Limited. Today I found out the display has been changed. In 2018 the Spyder came out with the new display package, duo display color. Although no local dealership has received RT nor has permission to put one out on display (BRP is pushing Ryker only at this time), I found out that the 2019 display is SINGLE, not DUO...no option. Does anyone have info on this? Is there a problem with Duo display? Appreciate any info, Thanks!
    Carol Smead

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by csmead View Post
    So I am continuing on in my journey to find the differences between the 2018 vs 2019 RT Limited. Today I found out the display has been changed. In 2018 the Spyder came out with the new display package, duo display color. Although no local dealership has received RT nor has permission to put one out on display (BRP is pushing Ryker only at this time), I found out that the 2019 display is SINGLE, not DUO...no option. Does anyone have info on this? Is there a problem with Duo display? Appreciate any info, Thanks!
    The image below is from the 2019 operators manual. Looks to be the same as the 2018. You can find the online Operators manual here: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 9.39.18 PM (1).jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

what about the FM radio and noise from the radio when you turn the handlebars, do you get any interruptions or noise in the music? I read that the 2018's have these issues

Spyder Garage

I think the 2019 have 1 piece fenders and the reflectors are now stickers. You cannot put the led lights in them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    I think the 2019 have 1 piece fenders and the reflectors are now stickers. You cannot put the led lights in them.
    YES, the 2019 fenders are one piece. I've also heard that it's more difficult to add aftermarket lights to a 2019. More difficult to use plug-n-play feature.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    No, but you can add LED strips ON them. I'm pretty sure the vendors will come up with possibly cheaper lights.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    YES, the 2019 fenders are one piece. I've also heard that it's more difficult to add aftermarket lights to a 2019. More difficult to use plug-n-play feature.
    Yes, I believe that is due to the 2019 internals been "upgraded" to the new interface BUDS2.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    We will have Fender LED Lights for 2019's available sometime after the first of the year. They will be sequential and replace the reflectors. There is not a 2 pin connector under the A-Arms on the 2019 so will be using a harness to go up to the headlight assembly to break into the 2 pin connector up there for the running light portion. You would be tying into the turn signal wire by the mirror as normal for the sequential turn signal portion to work.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories