Spyder Garage

Default New to Me 2016 Limited - HELP!

Hi all,
    Yesterday, my Spyder was delivered.
    But when I sat on it, to my dismay, the footboards are set too far front. I can barely hit the brake pedal which makes it impossible for me to ryde it. And if I can't ryde, I can't take it to a dealer to install the proper U-Fit kit.
    Is it difficult to change the brake linkage? Is there any room to bring the board and brake pedal back just an inch or so?
    What is a ryder to do?

Signed,

Sad in California.

Spyder Garage

Changing the linkage isn't a huge job. It took me about 20 minutes to do. There isn't any way to adjust the stock parts for that inch or so, unfortunately. The dealer that sold my F3T didn't even know what the U-Fit system was, I had to educate them. With the brake mounted in Position 3, I had the opposite problem - I needed more footroom. I measured the distance from where the brake pedal was to where I wanted it to be, compared that against the brake pivot mounting holes on the frame and ordered the correct linkage from an eBay seller. If you do it yourself, or plan on doing much work on your F3 yourself, investing in a small butane torch to soften that Canadian excuse for Locktite will be of great assistance. Bet you can guess how I know that!

The alternative would be to rent a trailer and take it to your dealer that way.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    Changing the linkage isn't a huge job. It took me about 20 minutes to do. There isn't any way to adjust the stock parts for that inch or so, unfortunately. The dealer that sold my F3T didn't even know what the U-Fit system was, I had to educate them. With the brake mounted in Position 3, I had the opposite problem - I needed more footroom. I measured the distance from where the brake pedal was to where I wanted it to be, compared that against the brake pivot mounting holes on the frame and ordered the correct linkage from an eBay seller. If you do it yourself, or plan on doing much work on your F3 yourself, investing in a small butane torch to soften that Canadian excuse for Locktite will be of great assistance. Bet you can guess how I know that!

The alternative would be to rent a trailer and take it to your dealer that way.
    Ha, I happen to have one of the butane torches...I saw Lamonster's video on that subject. I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I've been looking for a video or how to for the Limited. I'll keep researching. Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ladygadget View Post
    Hi all,
    Yesterday, my Spyder was delivered.
    But when I sat on it, to my dismay, the footboards are set too far front. I can barely hit the brake pedal which makes it impossible for me to ryde it. And if I can't ryde, I can't take it to a dealer to install the proper U-Fit kit.
    Is it difficult to change the brake linkage? Is there any room to bring the board and brake pedal back just an inch or so?
    What is a ryder to do?

Signed,

Sad in California.
    You have 5 foot positions on the F3. The holes are on the inside of the rail. Factory is set at #3 hole. You will need a new brake rod. Lamonster has new brake rods for lowering the brake pedal so there is not a big reach to hit the brake.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

For my wife, I had can-am put on the shortest brake rod and the longest handlebars on it.
    Then I drilled the brake rod so the brake pedal would be a lot lower. Still for her, I had to add another ROX 2" handlebar extender to bring the bars closer to her.
    For smaller people, you really need to customize the factory settings.
    2016 F3 Spyder Limited SE6
    2005 Honda ST1300 ABS

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your help.
    But the problem is solved!
    Found Lamonster's brake rod. It will solve two problems. 1) length 2) access to the brake pedal.
    I went to a dealer today for a look-see. Sat on a stock F3 and determined I need a #3 brake rod.
    I also noticed how high up the brake is. With my riding boots, that was going to be a challenge.

I do have one question though. How to move the foot boards back? Do you loosen up the entire brake/footboard and move it back before fastening the other end of the rod?
    TIA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ladygadget View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    But the problem is solved!
    Found Lamonster's brake rod. It will solve two problems. 1) length 2) access to the brake pedal.
    I went to a dealer today for a look-see. Sat on a stock F3 and determined I need a #5 brake rod.
    I also noticed how high up the brake is. With my riding boots, that was going to be a challenge.

I do have one question though. How to move the foot boards back? Do you loosen up the entire brake/footboard and move it back before fastening the other end of the rod?
    TIA
    Ladygadget The #5 brake rod is going to be the farthest away. All the way forward. #1 will be closest to you.
    I have not moved the boards on mine but there are bolts you have to remove to slide it back. I believe you do not have to remove the boards. Just a bolt and loosen the others.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Ladygadget The #5 brake rod is going to be the farthest away. All the way forward. #1 will be closest to you.
    This! The bykes are delivered in the #3 position (exact middle of the range) by default. You can go forward 2 positions or back 2 positions... Each position change is greater than the 1" or so you are looking for. What I did was move the left side as it doesn't require a "rod" change and see where you want it. Then purchase the correct brake rod or Lamont's setup to match!

Where in CA are you located? If not too far from Sonoma (I have injuries that make longer distance a pain!), I have tools and can do it for ya if ya want....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I have not moved the boards on mine but there are bolts you have to remove to slide it back. I believe you do not have to remove the boards. Just a bolt and loosen the others.
    Ah, I miss typed. Should have read #3 not #5.
    It's corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    This! The bykes are delivered in the #3 position (exact middle of the range) by default. You can go forward 2 positions or back 2 positions... Each position change is greater than the 1" or so you are looking for. What I did was move the left side as it doesn't require a "rod" change and see where you want it. Then purchase the correct brake rod or Lamont's setup to match!

Where in CA are you located? If not too far from Sonoma (I have injuries that make longer distance a pain!), I have tools and can do it for ya if ya want....
    Hi, I'm in Antioch, might be a little farther away than you like. I found Lamonster's brake rod video. I think I can do it myself. I appreciate your kind offer.

Spyder Garage

If you haven't ordered your brake connecting rod yet, I have a #3 that I never plan to use again. If you'd like it, and don't mind covering shipping, I'll send it to you. Someone should get some use out of it. Send me a PM if you do.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black