Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Gelcoat maintenance

Good morning all.
    I’ve been searching for a good trailer to tow my RT since July, and ended up taking Bob D’s & Zips advice and bought a beautiful 2017 black enclosed IronHorse trailer. Should be delivered this coming week. I know gelcoat is different than paint, I’ve done some research but thought I’d also ask u guys. The IronHorse rep (Jamie English-and he was awesome to work with) kept telling me that the gelcoat finish requires more maintenance than paint. I’m fine w that especially since this trailer matches my truck and is absolutely beautiful, but I have a few questions.
    1) I love Lamonts BD detailer, has anyone used that on gelcoat? I’m assuming it’s good to use, but u know what they say about “assuming”. And I’m also thinking of ordering the non aerosol BD.
    2) Should I use “traditional” wax on it? I’m scared of creating swirl marks.
    3) If the IronHorse doesn’t fit in my garage, is it ok to put one of those Walmart traps over it to protect it from the elements until I tow it?

It’s been very cold in NY, so I wouldn’t even think of waxing/using BD when temps are below freezing, but my family is planning on Escaping NY cold and head to Florida in a couple weeks. So I’d like to apply some protectant before the trip, and I’ll detail it more when in Florida. I’m meeting up w the Original Chapter of US Spyder Ryders (Central Florida) and want my IronHorse looking its best. But most importantly I want the finish protected.
    As always, thanks in advance.
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gel coat maintenance is very different from painted bodies. Think boats, some RVs and some cars. It's more durable for one. I wouldn't worry about it. Wax can't hurt, but seems unnecessary at this point in the life cycle. What does the manufacturer say?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Look into using a product called RejeX. I used it on my boat(s) for years and it is the best I was ever able to find. Just be sure to follow instructions, especially the part about not applying it on a hot day or in direct sunlight. I would also ask the manufacturer about how long the new FRP should "cure" before you apply anything.

Covering is a double edge sword. It can help slow and reduce oxidation but will cause havoc on the finish if left to flap in the wind. The only real good answer for long term protection while in storage is to store the trailer inside an enclosure (garage)..... Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out FiberGlassRV.com for a very thorough discussion of gel-coat maintenance for a trailer.
    2014 RTL Platinum