Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Running costs???

Guys after 50.000km/31.000mi I have put all costs together and here is what TheBeast cost me Eur per 1km
    i am simultaneously running calculations in USD per 1mi

Are you anywhere near by with your Spyder???

Part 1

Part2

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Apparently my browser does not do the HTML5 format so I cannot see the videos....maybe on another computer....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The prices are a bit on the scary side. I added up my expenses on the 2008 and 2009...and I quit after that.

Good information for those that dare go there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My cost of operating a Can Am Spyder for around 15 months putting 20,253 miles on it. I had purchased it July, 2017 it had 10,000 miles on it. The person that had it had kept it serviced properly. I will list my expenses for the 20,353 miles I have ridden it. When I picked it up it had a pretty new Kenda tire on the rear. I replace the rear tire when it had 7,950 miles with a General Altimax TR43 215-60/R15. Now all my cost is material and parts no labor. (I do all my own service and tire changes.)

I have done 4 oil changes: (Oil and Filters) $50.77 Valvoline 10W/40 Motorcycle Oil $405.36
    Purchased Gold Drain Oil Plugs (one time cost) $43.97
    K&M Air Filter $45.50
    Transmission Filter (25,600 Miles) $96.50
    Replace rear tire With General Altimax (17,950 miles) Now has 12,500 miles now Looks Great $77.00
    Replaced original front tires (Kenda’s) with Federal AZ01 165-55-R15 (17,950 Miles) $91.76
    Replace rear Brake Pads (22,568 Miles) Purchased full set have not installed front Pads $107.85
    Replace fuel Filter (19,500 Mikes) $16.99
    Replace Spark Plugs (30,450 Miles) $36.95
    I did have to replace the Dess Module $132.99
    TOTAL SERVICE ITEMS $1,054.87

Total Service Items (I have added Sway Bar, Vibration Damper for Belt & several other items not listed.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

You want depressing think of all the insurance and interest you have paid on them... I would never go there...I did not get my spyder to see what it would cost to own if I would I would never have bought it. I work on the fun factor and what make me happy. This is my thearapy and that bill will out weigh them all....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you bought your Spyder to see how much it costs annually, than you bought it for the wrong reason.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

miles of SMILESentertaining & therapeutic what other device can claim that ? plus all the great people we get to meet , or just chat with here price is just part of it, how well you experience that is up to you

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Running Costs

RYDE and Enjoy. REPEAT.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I believe the equation is missing one component "Opportunity Cost". What dollar value would you assign to the "Fun/Friends gained/experiences/scenery etc" of Not Owning a Spyder? When I factor opportunity cost into my own calculation, owning my Spyder has been an Asset not Liability. Can't solve the equation without all the variables. I waited years to purchase my Spyder, in hindsight- I wish I didn't wait that long. As we all know, owning/riding a Spyder is something that can't be explained in words. I'm trying to convince a few friends to buy one, they look at the price tag, cost in $$ and it's very hard for me to explain the benefits it has brought to my life. I've tried to figure out how to convince my friends to buy but I always end up saying "Trust me dude, just buy it". LOL.
    And yes, I know Martin was doing the adult thing, and assigning a cost to owning this toy, I have plenty of friends who love calculating MPG etc, that's fun for them, and I respect that. But my equation for figuring out the running cost of my Spyder is a simple one:

Owning a Spyder >Not owning a Spyder

Hope everyone has a great weekend, frigid in NY again...I Can't wait to head south!

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I believe the equation is missing one component "Opportunity Cost". What dollar value would you assign to the "Fun/Friends gained/experiences/scenery etc" of Not Owning a Spyder? When I factor opportunity cost into my own calculation, owning my Spyder has been an Asset not Liability. Can't solve the equation without all the variables. I waited years to purchase my Spyder, in hindsight- I wish I didn't wait that long. As we all know, owning/riding a Spyder is something that can't be explained in words. I'm trying to convince a few friends to buy one, they look at the price tag, cost in $$ and it's very hard for me to explain the benefits it has brought to my life. I've tried to figure out how to convince my friends to buy but I always end up saying "Trust me dude, just buy it". LOL.
    And yes, I know Martin was doing the adult thing, and assigning a cost to owning this toy, I have plenty of friends who love calculating MPG etc, that's fun for them, and I respect that. But my equation for figuring out the running cost of my Spyder is a simple one:

Owning a Spyder >Not owning a Spyder

Hope everyone has a great weekend, frigid in NY again...I Can't wait to head south!
    ……….. What seems to be forgotten is that USED retail is always based on the NEW retail price …...How many USED Rolls Royces do you see being advertised for $3,000 ………..jmho ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I misunderstood this thread. I listed my cost so to show it is not any more to own a Spyder than any other motorcycle. I think about everybody known’s the enjoyment out weights the expense.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lucky you didn't buy a horse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I guess I misunderstood this thread. I listed my cost so to show it is not any more to own a Spyder than any other motorcycle. I think about everybody known’s the enjoyment out weights the expense.
    I thought your post was interesting, partially because it showed me how much I can save if I service the bike on my own, and I didn’t get the impression you were trying to prove a point one way or another. And like the other folks I try not to think about cost because it’s just plain fun. No harm no foul imo.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I thought your post was interesting, partially because it showed me how much I can save if I service the bike on my own, and I didn’t get the impression you were trying to prove a point one way or another. And like the other folks I try not to think about cost because it’s just plain fun. No harm no foul imo.
    What I have found the biggest cost is the labor cost on the Can Am Spyder's. I have always done all my own service on all the bikes I have owned. The Spyder takes more time with all the plastic that has to be removed to do anything. Changing the spark plugs was the hardest of anything I have done yet. Removing the air box is a big job. Doing your own service is not for everybody but I do enjoy doing it. I have a good shop with the tools and a tire changer. I don't like taking my vehicle's to a dealer and leaving them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2019 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Those that do most of their own repairs will save a bunch of money. $300 oil changes and $1500 valve jobs (not needed--but recommended for the 998's by BRP at 14K intervals), are two biggies if you let the service dept. do it.

I have had more fun though than actual expenses. Would I do it again? Yes. Five Spyders and still driving after 11 years with the product.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just had mine serviced, new air filters, oil and brake fluid, brake pads and rotors because apparently the left was metal on metal. Not even going to tell you how much that was. Plus another 700 covered by warranty to cover replacement of the DESS module.

Unfortunately I forgot to tell them to replace the Amsoil with Amsoil so they put the BRP oil in.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Gerald,
    that are some significant price differences.
    i have one question please. How is the Vibration damper? good experience, does it help?
    martin

My cost of operating a Can Am Spyder for around 15 months putting 20,253 miles on it. I had purchased it July, 2017 it had 10,000 miles on it. The person that had it had kept it serviced properly. I will list my expenses for the 20,353 miles I have ridden it. When I picked it up it had a pretty new Kenda tire on the rear. I replace the rear tire when it had 7,950 miles with a General Altimax TR43 215-60/R15. Now all my cost is material and parts no labor. (I do all my own service and tire changes.)

I have done 4 oil changes: (Oil and Filters) $50.77 Valvoline 10W/40 Motorcycle Oil $405.36
    Purchased Gold Drain Oil Plugs (one time cost) $43.97
    K&M Air Filter $45.50
    Transmission Filter (25,600 Miles) $96.50
    Replace rear tire With General Altimax (17,950 miles) Now has 12,500 miles now Looks Great $77.00
    Replaced original front tires (Kenda’s) with Federal AZ01 165-55-R15 (17,950 Miles) $91.76
    Replace rear Brake Pads (22,568 Miles) Purchased full set have not installed front Pads $107.85
    Replace fuel Filter (19,500 Mikes) $16.99
    Replace Spark Plugs (30,450 Miles) $36.95
    I did have to replace the Dess Module $132.99
    TOTAL SERVICE ITEMS $1,054.87

Total Service Items (I have added Sway Bar, Vibration Damper for Belt & several other items not listed.

Spyder Garage

My man, you know that I KNOW that Spyder world is all about fun. I just did this video for those, that are seeking to see how costy or no costy it can be for you.
    I think in US its kind of 2/3rds of the price what I did pay.
    You have higher man/hour costs we have more expensive replacement items.
    Have a great day,
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You want depressing think of all the insurance and interest you have paid on them... I would never go there...I did not get my spyder to see what it would cost to own if I would I would never have bought it. I work on the fun factor and what make me happy. This is my thearapy and that bill will out weigh them all....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Gerald,
    that are some significant price differences.
    i have one question please. How is the Vibration damper? good experience, does it help?
    martin
    Yes the vibration damper was worth the expense. Two things I install that I feel was an improvement was the vibration damper and the sway bar. If you do your own service the magic mirrors are also a good feature.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Yes the vibration damper was worth the expense. Two things I install that I feel was an improvement was the vibration damper and the sway bar. If you do your own service the magic mirrors are also a good feature.
    +1

If you have to ask how much a tune-up is on your Ferrari---- then you can't afford it in the first place...........
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can afford the service on my Spyder but I don't like having to take to my closest dealer 50 miles have to have an appointment and leave it for three or fours days. They do not give a loner so someone has to pick me up and take me back. I enjoy doing my own work. I know it is done right. As I said before doing your own service is not for everybody.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I have done all the work on my bikes that I feel capable of(pushed that envelope a few times) for years because,as gerald says,I know it's right.It also gives a great opportunity to inspect parts of your ride that you otherwise wouldn't see.You want a really expensive toy that hardly gets used get a sled!Can you say $50 for a gallon of BRP 2 cycle oil!! It's all about fun!
    '

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    I have done all the work on my bikes that I feel capable of(pushed that envelope a few times) for years because,as gerald says,I know it's right.It also gives a great opportunity to inspect parts of your ride that you otherwise wouldn't see.You want a really expensive toy that hardly gets used get a sled!Can you say $50 for a gallon of BRP 2 cycle oil!! It's all about fun!
    '
    You think like I do. I do mostly long trips and travel alone. I like to inspect all parts and know everything is working correctly. Thanks for the come back.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Lucky you didn't buy a horse.
    When l got a promotion at work, the better half let ME get a motorcycle. With the next promotion , I got a horse for HER. Just got another promotion, so I'm looking for a Spyder for US. Running cost are part of price in a relationship.
    2003 Suzuki DL1000 "Elwood" (sold)
    2009 BMW F800ST "Dawn Treader" (sold)
    2004 BMW R1200RT "Jaeger" (sold)
    2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic "Mandorallen"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Over the years I've had both......

Quote Originally Posted by Dawntreader2 View Post
    When l got a promotion at work, the better half let ME get a motorcycle. With the next promotion , I got a horse for HER. Just got another promotion, so I'm looking for a Spyder for US. Running cost are part of price in a relationship.
    A horse is man's second best friend. I've had/owned a bunch of toys over the years, a plane, boats, motorcycles, cars, snowmobile and some I've even forgotten, but none of those toys ever returned affection. That's why the holders of the number one and two spots on man's/woman's best friends list will never ever change.