Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally got to test a ryker for myself

Well, it was around 60+ degrees today, so I decided to take a ride down to Team Powersports and test ride the new ryker. I will try to be direct and to the point on my views, but you should take one for a test ride of your own.
    There are many things to say about this trike, but the first thing that comes to mind is a line from the Color Purple, "You sho is ugly!". Keep in mind, that this is only my opinion, and I am also the person that thought the F3 series was ugly, right up until I ordered one.
    Before starting the bike up, you will need to set up the handle bars and foot pegs for your personal seating position. You will notice that the pegs are just plain iron pegs, with no rubber padding at all (so wear good boots or shoes to absorb the vibration). Then when you move the handle bars, you will notice that the set up is pretty stiff, and the bars are smaller than most bars on your typical murray bicycle. Then you crank the bike up and notice the vibration at the mirrors. The vibration is nearly as bad as on a harley, but only for the mirrors. I tend to think that is from the smallish handle bars, not just from the motor, as the rest of the bike doesn't vibrate that bad. I am not a small person, so the seat on this thing is pretty smallish to say the least. The rally edition has an extension behind it to place a passenger seat, or box. But I noticed that this extension says "maximum weight 22 pounds".
    Not sure what this means, but I am sure the fully loaded capacity is greater than that. Then you take the parking brake off, and move forward. The brake seems to be mechanical and not electronic, which means that if someone wanted, they could turn the parking brake off, and roll the bike away without having the key (that was brought to my attention by my buddy KK). Once you give it gas, it picks up speed pretty quick. Now, I have heard people say that it is quicker than the F3. I think that is total BS. Yes, it has a really quick 0-60, but it will run out of breath very shortly thereafter. If you are going 20 or 30 and give it gas, it will pick up pretty quick. But if you are going 60 and want to give it gas to pass, don't expect F3, RT, or RS passing power. Handling seems to be pretty good, but you can tell that some of the steering components are smaller and cheaper than on the spyder. I owned a 2012 RSS with the V-Twin. The V-Twin is a high reving engine and something that I had to get used to. But this thing revs quite a bit higher, but without the nice exhaust tone. As I ended my test ride, and shut the bike off, I noticed that there was a N on this display. Now, since the bike only has forward and reverse, I had to wonder if parts (or all) of this display was sourced from one of Can am's other products, like maybe a 4 wheeler or something.
    Now, to end this long post, I think this is for someone who wants to get a new 3 wheeler with a warranty without spending new spyder money. Yes, it is cheaper made, but it list for $10k, not $30k. So you get what you pay for. GM makes an Escalade, but they also made a Cavalier because they made different vehicles for different people.
    So, go down and give it a test ride for yourself.
    Thanks for reading.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the great review.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review....

Glad you got a chance to get a test ryde for yourself. It is the only way to know for sure what everyone is talking about. I think for the first time buy and ryder it will be a big hit as they will have nothing to compare with but will take a bit for the upgraders of downgraders....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the impressions; but I have a question: Did you ride the 900, or the 600?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for the impressions; but I have a question: Did you ride the 900, or the 600?
    I rode the 900. They have a 600 and a rally edition, but they are not set up for demo as of now. To be honest, If I pick up one, it would probably be the 600. I say this because it would be a 2nd. (or 3rd in my case) bike. Not something that I would be beating on, or looking for major performance out of. It would be a nice little cruiser that I could run errands on, and take out for some open air excitement. I would just get a 600 and spend the savings on accessories like a top box and stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    It would be a nice little cruiser that I could run errands on,
    Just don't plan on bringing anything home with you !!

Thanks for you input on the bike. I admit, I have not ridden one, only sat on a 600. The one day it was in town for demo, it was already very cold and raining here. And just by looking at it, and sitting on it, I knew this was not a bike for me.
    Although I understand the need for BRP to put out a cheaper priced bike, but at $10,000 (more in Canada) there are a lot of cheaper bikes on the market for the younger riders to choose from. And, my opinion of course, the Ryker LOOKS cheap.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Each to their own notion." said the old woman; as she kissed the cow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Just don't plan on bringing anything home with you !!

Thanks for you input on the bike. I admit, I have not ridden one, only sat on a 600. The one day it was in town for demo, it was already very cold and raining here. And just by looking at it, and sitting on it, I knew this was not a bike for me.
    Although I understand the need for BRP to put out a cheaper priced bike, but at $10,000 (more in Canada) there are a lot of cheaper bikes on the market for the younger riders to choose from. And, my opinion of course, the Ryker LOOKS cheap.

Ray
    For a single passenger trike, you could mount a givi box and carry quite a bit of stuff. But as a friend told me, when I was talking to him about the poor storage on the F3 (before I bought mine). He asked, how much storage did I have on my other bikes? To me, it is not a pretty bike, and yes, it is definitely a cheaper made bike than the spyder. But as Bob said, to each their own. I feel like it will find a place in the new rider market, and also as a 2nd bike for spyder riders. If I could get my wife to accept it (and I will be trying), I would buy her one today. And I say that, knowing that I will probably ride it more than she does. Although the fit and finish seems to be in line with more of the Chinese style bikes and scooters, it is backed by Canam, and that makes me feel a little better. I will be waiting until the fall. If it follows the stage set by the spyders, you should be able to get one from 25-35% off in September. Now, with the 600 being listed for $8500, I will definitely give around $6k for one.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Blacklightning, really good review that answered questions not been covered before - that I remember anyway.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    For a single passenger trike, you could mount a givi box and carry quite a bit of stuff. But as a friend told me, when I was talking to him about the poor storage on the F3 (before I bought mine). He asked, how much storage did I have on my other bikes? To me, it is not a pretty bike, and yes, it is definitely a cheaper made bike than the spyder. But as Bob said, to each their own. I feel like it will find a place in the new rider market, and also as a 2nd bike for spyder riders. If I could get my wife to accept it (and I will be trying), I would buy her one today. And I say that, knowing that I will probably ride it more than she does. Although the fit and finish seems to be in line with more of the Chinese style bikes and scooters, it is backed by Canam, and that makes me feel a little better. I will be waiting until the fall. If it follows the stage set by the spyders, you should be able to get one from 25-35% off in September. Now, with the 600 being listed for $8500, I will definitely give around $6k for one.
    If they take 6,000$ for it this fall, I’ll buy another one to play with and put knobby tires, cross braced handle bars, jack it up some, performance exhaust, and use it for bad weather fun stuff, that only I can imagine! cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    If they take 6,000$ for it this fall, I’ll buy another one to play with and put knobby tires, cross braced handle bars, jack it up some, performance exhaust, and use it for bad weather fun stuff, that only I can imagine! cueman
    No one knows, but my friend paid $22k for a 2014 RT back in February, and in September of 2014, I got the same bike for $17.5k.
    I have also seen F3 Limiteds selling for $29k early in the season, but then selling for $22k come September. I'm a patient man, and have nothing but time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know how much time I have, but I want to have fun with what I have left! cueman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you Blacklightning.

It hasn't arrived here in Australia just yet so we are relying on what you guys report. Already we see it has its first recall for the "DOH forgot to put the oil in the ...." so it would seem BRP are still asleep at the wheel to do something so basic.

I am looking at the 600 for my wife so that she can get her Motorcycle class license and me to have the odd play as a change from 2017 RT Ltd. if you get to ride the 600 I'd like to see your opinion.
    Last edited by askitee; 01-25-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default Nostradamus moment

This should be the most customised of all the offerings to date.Blank canvas start type scenario.Inventive and creative minds will be all over them in a few years as the early adopters tire of the "I was first in the street" hit.
    I'd love to see a dozen stripped down hot rodded versions at the track banging wheels for a trophy,and black looks great but there's a zillion colours to pick from.God forbid if someone came up with a 3 or 2 into 1 pipe that actually worked etc etc.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

The Ryker is a gateway drug. Let people enter the world of 3 wheels at a introductory price. And hopefully they will be hooked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Thank you Blacklightning.

It hasn't arrived here in Australia just yet so we are relying on what you guys report. Already we see it has its first recall for the "DOH forgot to put the oil in the ...." so it would seem BRP are still asleep at the wheel to do something so basic.

I am looking at the 600 for my wife so that she can get her Motorcycle class license and me to have the odd play as a change from 2017 RT Ltd. if you get to ride the 600 I'd like to see your opinion.
    With the 600 possibly not getting extended use, and you already having a RT, I feel like the 600 would be a good choice. But again, that is just my opinion. I feel like that I would use the $1500 savings to accessorize the 600. I can already tell that someone has to come out with a better seat. If I bought one, I wouldn't even get on it without my airhawk or gel pad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ladygadget View Post
    The Ryker is a gateway drug. Let people enter the world of 3 wheels at a introductory price. And hopefully they will be hooked.
    Very True!!! The Fishing tournament is on!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ladygadget View Post
    Might be true in a few cases, but that's the only thing in the OP that I disagreed with.

The Ryker was an 'impulse buy' for me but only because it was a long term itch that I was going to scratch the instant I found the right back scratcher. Looked at the Spyder and for whatever reason, it didn't do it. Waited quite a while but bought the Ryker Rally at first sight.

Oh yeah, there was the vibrating mirrors. Yep, every time you stop at a light and let go of the bars. I usually don't, even then though.
    It could use a tiny bit more bite to the exhaust note but the entire drivetrain is buttery smooth and sounds that way. Except for the clunk at first start. Just enough vibes through the admittedly ugly pegs for the machine to feel alive, I love it. I would not be surprised at all that an F3 would pull away from even the 900 at >60 mph.

But that damn seat frame extension on the Rally better be good for more than 22 pounds. I ordered the optional passenger seat and even my sub 100 lb 4'7" GF will be over gross at that rate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post

The Ryker was an 'impulse buy' for me but only because it was a long term itch that I was going to scratch the instant I found the right back scratcher. Looked at the Spyder and for whatever reason, it didn't do it. Waited quite a while but bought the Ryker Rally at first sight.

Oh yeah, there was the vibrating mirrors. Yep, every time you stop at a light and let go of the bars. I usually don't, even then though.
    It could use a tiny bit more bite to the exhaust note but the entire drivetrain is buttery smooth and sounds that way. Except for the clunk at first start. Just enough vibes through the admittedly ugly pegs for the machine to feel alive, I love it.
    @Leadfoot... Could you kindly remove yourself from my head and stop reading my thoughts... It is more than a little strange thinking a thing and then seeing someone else articulate it so well... if not I may be forced to just start adding... "+1 what he said."