Spyder Garage

Question Oil leak/venting on Ryker Rally

Anyone had this happen?

Picked up my new Ryker Rally yesterday. All 75 miles home, very conservative driving mostly interstate, great ride, no problems. But next to my house is a wide open area where it's safe to practice handling so I practiced that, working gradually up to the limits. Did some panic stop practice as well. Last five minutes was constant max hard turns in both directions. Then parked bike and a big cloud of burning oil smoke surrounded me. It was burning off the muffler and dripping from bottom of machine, left small puddle on floor. Can't see where oil is coming out.

Dealer said not to ride and picked it up this morning. Will post when I know more.

Spyder Garage

We will be looking forward to more info.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Might this be a case of overfilled crankcase blowing oil out of the air box?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

That's what I'm hoping..

Spyder Garage

Dealer checks trike. Response: they all do that.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Dealer checks trike. Response: they all do that.
    Let's hope not..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I'd say there is something up with this particular Ryker. People have been riding them hard since they came out and this is the only case of it's kind so far. My guess is also an overfill issue. Hopefully, the dealer tells the truth about what actually happened.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

These are pure guess's but based on a lot of experience with Spyders and sleds.... 1. There is a cavitation "pump" (not what they call it) that is responsible for venting pressure from the crankcase up into the air box. That pump has an oil seal, and if it fails or is overwhelmed, it will suck up engine oil and dump it into the intake, thru the engine, and out the now smoky exhaust. This was a common problem on the 990 engines if one were overfilled, tilted onto their side by chance, etc... 2. If an injector leaks, it will sometimes dilute the oil, which acts to "overfill" the engine with oil, then the whole #1 pump issue results. 3. If the crankcase venting system somehow gets blocked the engine will push its crankcase oil up into the cumbustion chamber and out the exhaust. I am thinking it is one of these issues.
    Update: Looking at the scematics of the engine, I could not find that it utilized a scavenger pump like the 990. It might be a simple vent pipe from the engine to the airbox. So, in theory, if the oil became so agitated that it went up the vent tube into the airbox, this could be the result

Spyder Garage

Gonna be a wait and see kinda deal.... could be as simple as a loose oil cap but not having chased down the path it is hard to tell...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The oil cap and drain plug are the only thing I can say for sure that it isn't. Checked both and I checked the oil level after the ride, but unfortunately I had not read the manual's amazingly complicated procedure for doing that, so the reading I took (near min. mark) is of no help.

Spyder Garage

Dealer called and said my Ryker is repaired but asked what kind of oil I added to top it off (it was Mobile1 10W 30). They said it would take them another hour to change the oil because that wasn't good enough. The cause of the oil leak was an improperly installed oil filter cap. Maybe that's what Chupaca meant? I was thinking 'filler cap', not 'filter cap'.

Dealer was nice enough about the whole thing, apologized for my trouble and will deliver the machine back to me on Tuesday.

Not to start an oil conflagration, but is Mobile1 really not good enough or is there some kind of break-in oil filled at the factory?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Not to start an oil conflagration, but is Mobile1 really not good enough or is there some kind of break-in oil filled at the factory?
    Depends on which Mobil 1 product you used.

Spyder Garage

Oil added was 10W -30 full synthetic Mobil 1, just what I use in all my cars, bikes, airplanes, etc. The dealer didn't like it though, handed me a bill for an oil change when they brought it back.

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure the Ryker calls for 5w40, probably why they changed it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It has to be Mobil 1 "for motorcycles only," not for cars, planes or trains. Big, big difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    It has to be Mobil 1 "for motorcycles only," not for cars, planes or trains. Big, big difference.
    Only true when the clutch shares the same oil as the crank case. In a Ryker this isn't an issue. But you still need to use the right viscosity.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Pretty sure the Ryker calls for 5w40, probably why they changed it.
    I'd say this is the reason. Not so much the 5w as that is not really a factor unless your oil gets down near zero degrees. But the 40 part is important. Still, I agree with those who think a motorcycle oil is not needed in the Ryker. Motorcycle oil makes some concessions in order to work with transmissions and wet clutches. Automotive oil does not need to make these concessions and has positive attributes that are not possible to use in a motorcycle engine (because of the need to also service the transmission and wet clutch). Since the Ryker has neither. It is much more kin to a high performance automotive engine than to a motorcycle engine.

Some may say; 'The Ryker is a motorcycle so therefore the engine is a motorcycle engine'. However, using that logic, you should be putting motorcycle oil in your Boss Hoss!

I am not recommending putting automotive oil in your Ryker since it could, technically void your warranty. Though realistically, it should not as long as you are using the correct viscosity and a high quality oil. I'm not due for an oil change yet so I have not yet decided which way I'm going to go. But I am leaning towards an automotive oil. They are typically slipperier than motorcycle oils.

Spyder Garage

All of the 5w40 I'm finding touts diesel applications, but in the end, if it meets the specs in the manual you will be fine.

Spyder Garage

So it's new and yet oil filter cap was leaking and you topped it off with Mobil1?
    I personally think a little top off would not hurt anything, and who touched the oil filter cap? (brand new)
    If it's new why wouldn't the dealer take care of everything, a little bit of the wrong oil is better than not enough!

Just confused but happy it was a simple fix.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue