Spyder Garage

Default Riders vs. none riders opinion of Spyders-Rykers

I have shown several people the Ryker I plan to buy. The none riders think its really cool. One even hinted she wants to take a ride on it. The riders won't express an opinion which I read as they don't like it, but don't want to be rude. When I had the F3, I had people (in cars) actually follow me to my destination just to ask me about it. When I went to the bike store and there where riders around, they showed no interest.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

It's the whole bike vs. trike thing. Many two wheel riders turn their nose up at a trike. I know one of the groups I ride with has a couple of riders that won't give my Daytona the time of day!
    Their loss! I enjoy them all, even though I haven't owned a two wheel motorcycle.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry about what other folks think: just ride your own ride with pride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It is amazing how many people know so much about something they know nothing about.

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for "its their loss." I always like to look at other bikes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Another card on the pile for "its their loss." I always like to look at other bikes.
    "Caged" minds, some or a loved one, may have had an unfortunate trauma on a bike & they just wanna blame the bike therefore: all bikes are bad, stereotypes follow. Also could be form of Ochophobia (fear of vehicles) motorcyclophobia & they will NEVER enjoy what we do or why.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

This attitude always puzzles me. What about bikes and sidecars? 3 wheels can only lean one way if you are adventurous. I owned an outfit at one time and did a lot of miles on it, was great fun. 2 wheels, 3 wheels, 4 wheels etc. I don't mind. If it is novel and innovative then even better. Have loved the concept of the Spyders and now Rykers ever since they were announced. They are an option for me to get back onto bikes and stay on them longer as I get older. Bring on the test rides. Rykers should be in dealerships in a week or 2.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The sad thing is this is just how people feel. Harley riders don't like sport bike riders, sport bike riders don't like Harley riders and cars don't like bikes as bikes don't like cars. So goes 2 wheelers vs 3 wheelers. If you stop and look at this, people don't like each other for many reasons, which has been going on way before we were born and unfortunately will continue after we're gone. I don't care what you ride or drive or even what you look like, I will respect you as a human and always treat you as equally. If we want our loved sport to continue We older people need to learn to show interest in the younger riders and what they ride and remember as we want them to learn from us we can learn from them.

Spyder Garage

My honey has an Indian and I have the F3. He took the 3 wheel class with me and is in full support of open air anyway you can do it. Anyway, about 3 weeks ago, he had to move my bike for me while I was otherwise occupied. Decided to take it for a quick loop. When he parked it; he told me, "I had forgotten how much fun that is".

They really don't know what they are missing. Fine with me. I love mine.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Hmmm.. That's odd. Been riding MCs for 50+ years but not comfortable riding two-up with GF anymore so wanted something 'MC like' that we could still do together. I bought a Slingshot but that's a different (but nice!) experience. The Spyder just didn't do it for me but the more naked, smaller, lighter and lower Ryker Rally had me at first sight. Bought mine yesterday so I'm still on a new toy high

Spyder Garage

I think a lot of the 2-wheeler Motorcyclist animosity (or disregard, contempt, whatever; you choose the word you prefer) amongst those who HAVEN'T actually ever ridden one or even ridden with one might well be a hangover from their feelings about the performance & handling of the likes of Harley Tri-glide or modded VW style trikes &/or the tendency for 'trikes to be 'old farts rides'!

When they first saw my RT, quite a few of the 2-wheel riders I ryde with displayed one or more of those contemptuous feelings about it UNTIL I'd ridden with them for a bit. Once they found that I didn't slow the group up at all, and in fact pushed them in the twisties around here, they got a WHOOOLE LOT more interested! On asking them about why they'd changed their minds, they pretty much all thought the Spyder would handle & perform like the conventional trikes they were more used to, and ALL of them were somewhat blown away at how well I kept up & at times even pushed them (fairly hard, too!)

And now that I've had the ECU upgrade done, they are even more blown away!! It's really only once we get out on the looong open straights with gentle sweeping curves that the massive slab of air the RT hasta push ahead of it begins to show! The Spyder & I are generally pretty well up the front of the pack if not leading it whilever we are riding thru the shorter straights & tighter turns in the Hills, & especially so when the road surface/grip isn't the best &/or there's any crap like loose gravel or slippery leaves around! And having a few ST's or RSS's join us at times has really piqued their interest, especially when those 'sportier' type Spyders have been ridden by ryders normally classified amongst the 'faster Spyder Ryder' set! We've even converted a few!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Has no one ever staged this shot with Spyders passing each other? I know we have several professional and amateur photographers among our many members. And some Graphics guys.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Send a PM to tehrlich he is quite a good photo guy.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Common... or the norm

I have found that many of the two wheeler when solo are more accepting and even curious. But in a group "No way". This was much the same way back with the Harley crowd and the other bikes that came into the market...like Hondas, Kawazakis and Suzukis. Although the first real choppers were English bikes and as time went on they were accepted thought in catagorys like sport bikes touring bikes and the comeback of the cafe bikes etc. It is harder for them to accept the reverse trike not sure why but I feel a lot of it is jelousy and not wanting to go against the riding buddies...In my early riding years in SA we did not care where they came from or what they were and we had mostly Italian, French, English and Japanese cause the Americans only had one but we went for big (as in displacement) and fast... Never did ryde to impress or convert just out for the fun and enjoyment with those that care to ryde along....,
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It comes down to fun. . . . a Spyder is a big kid's go-cart on steroids. A Spyder allows people who don't want to hold up some Goliath beast and pretend to be cool to ride a 'bike'. A Spyder allows people who have infirmities or physical limitations to eat bugs and have the wind in their face like two wheel riders. We are all in constant danger from the cage drivers, and have to live with the same weather as everyone else. I ride an old Harley Evo since we sold our RT way back when. My wife let's me ride her RS from time to time. Why would anyone limit the fun factor in one's life?
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Send a PM to tehrlich he is quite a good photo guy.
    I think he actually had a few from the Deadwood Rally last summer
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I agree. I'll walk around and look at other peoples bikes no matter what they ride. Whether it has two or three wheels. You just might see something different that you like.

Spyder Garage

No worries mate. Their loss. It's not about others its all for your pleasure. So ride safe, ride often, and ride it like you stole it my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    I agree. I'll walk around and look at other peoples bikes no matter what they ride. Whether it has two or three wheels. You just might see something different that you like.
    All that it needs to make it interesting: handlebars and an engine!

Spyder Garage

I like all kinds of bikes, even if I would not personally own one. But I am a very independent thinker. I resist 'group think'. When I was on two wheels, I would to the biker wave to anyone who seemed respective. Scooters, tricks, whatever. I had a guy on a Honda Grom actually seem surprised when I acknowledged him while riding a 1000cc sport touring bike.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I like all kinds of bikes, even if I would not personally own one. But I am a very independent thinker. I resist 'group think'. When I was on two wheels, I would to the biker wave to anyone who seemed respective. Scooters, tricks, whatever. I had a guy on a Honda Grom actually seem surprised when I acknowledged him while riding a 1000cc sport touring bike.
    I agree with you 100% and I do the same.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve had a few side car rigs and many people love to see and talk about them. Once I gave a side car ride to a 100 year young lady that was in a nursing home. When I took her back, I was worried to not over do it, the local news paper reporter took some info. and pics. and this wonderful lady said “let’s go for another ride!” God bless her. cueman