Spyder Garage

Default Tips on spark plug and wires being replaced

I have a 2011 RTS twin. Can I get to the plugs without removing the air box and small luggage compartment at front edge of seat on top of air box?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The rear plug yes, very easy. The front plug is pretty hidden. You will need to at least loosen the air box, you will not have to remove the glovebox. Give yourself plenty of time and if you get frustrated, walk away for a while. I didn't remove the side frame or the frunk.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQTNMYSTdIc I would change the wires while doing this job. Get them from Bajaron.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dg110270 View Post
    I have a 2011 RTS twin. Can I get to the plugs without removing the air box and small luggage compartment at front edge of seat on top of air box?
    Very doubtful unless you have child sized hands, & you should probably change the air filter anyway,inspect it at least plz. & on DIY

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Good advise in previous posts. But the straight up answer to your question is yes, both plugs can be changed without removing the air box. But it is no panacea to go that way. And you'll be doing the front spark plug by braille if you do. Taking the air box off is a pain, but not all that bad. More time consuming than difficult. Removing it gives you clear access to the front spark plug making the remaining install process much easier to do, and to verify that it has been done correctly.

As mentioned above, you really should check the air filter anyway. With the pre-2013 Spyders it was not uncommon to get oil in the air box from the poorly designed crankcase ventilation system. Sometimes a great deal of oil. Checking the air filter will confirm if you have this common issue as well. Correcting the oil in the air box problem is inexpensive and easy to do.

Also, as mentioned above, you should change out the spark plug wires as well. The OEM wires are of very poor quality and construction. It is usually the wires going bad that gets people thinking about changing the spark plugs in the first place. But if you do not change out the wires, it is likely that your Spyder will run worse after installing the new spark plugs than it did before you started. And it is definitely tear worthy to discover this after you have everything back together. On that note I highly recommend starting your Spyder to check for good throttle response and smooth idle before putting the air box back on. Just be sure there is no possibility of sucking anything into the throttle bodies when you do.

It does not hurt to check and probably replace your vacuum lines during this time too. They are easily accessible with the air box removed, cheap to replace, and can solve nagging bad idle and backfire issues.

Take your time, do it right, and realize that you won't have to do it again for 50k miles or so.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-24-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

For the time it takes to remove the air box it's well worth it as apposed to fumbling blind trying to seat the front spark plug.
    Also agree about changing the plug wires. I've put Ron's wires on a few Spyders and every one of them has been huge improvement as far as response is concerned!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are pics of my 998 with air filter removed to access the front plug. The red is the new plug cap that is part of BajaRons plug wires and is the front plug.

I found using plug pliers really helped get the old cap off and the OEM wires are easily breakable and that's why I got new plug wires.

fullsizeoutput_13a8.jpg. IMG_0893.JPG
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Great tips Ron. Thank you. I noticed the K&N air filter you sent me looks like it’s pre-lubed already with the red oil. Am I Correct it’s ready to drop in? Thanks to all for the help.

Spyder Garage

Great tips Ron. Thank you. I noticed the K&N air filter you sent me looks like it’s pre-lubed already with the red oil. Am I Correct it’s ready to drop in? Thanks to all for the help.
    Yes, the K&N air filter is plug and play. Ready to go.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Got the oil changed and the plugs and wires changed and the air filter. Glad it's done. The air box on the 2011 RT is a nightmare. What a terrible design. Now I need a test ride to see if the rough missing idle is fixed.

Spyder Garage

Took a 100 mile ride today. The Bahron plugs and wires fixed my rough idle problem. Thanks Ron for the parts and tips.

Spyder Garage

Took a 100 mile ride today. The Bahron plugs and wires fixed my rough idle problem. Thanks Ron for the parts and tips.
    This makes it a lot easier.

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=50
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!