Spyder Garage

Default Football vs Supercross vs Nascar

In the recent Superbowl topic, it was mentioned the topic derailed a bit.

Football, I pretty much never followed professional football finding the game is slow and has to many meetings. Years ago I would watch college football, back in the Jimmy Johnson UM era.

NASCAR is cool, but no longer my cup of tea. Long races, silly rules and what is “The Chase”. Kind of a dumb way to decide a season long champion.

Supercross...no meetings to slow it all down, each race counts in the chase for the championship, and in regards to fitness, bravery, and talent, these riders are at the top and very often highly respected by other professional athletes.

Someone mentioned how it is a bummer being on TV so late, simple answer is, they start racing around 7pm the race locations local time. Thank goodness for modern methods to record those late races. Much better than years ago hoping the VCR got it.

I have been to a bunch of mx and Supercross races, watching on TV is in no way giving justice to how intense the sport is. Similar but different as watching a car go by you at Daytona while travelling 200mph.

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with you on NASCAR the points system sucks as you can be very good all year and loose in the end because of a bad race.Was never in to football but loved hockey as a kid but that changed over time with way to many teams.If it has a gas engine goes fast I like to watch.NASCAR will soon be back on and I'll be watching even if I don't agree with some of the rules I still have my favorite driver to watch.
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

I stopped following pro sporting events about the same time it became popular to call the players heroes. Getting paid big money to play a game and complain about everything doesn't make you a hero. NASCAR is boring. Watch the first lap and the last lap and take a motorcycle ride in between. Supercross is fun to watch as is a good flattrack race, especially on a mile oval. If it is above freezing and not raining I would rather ride my bike or be outside doing something. Sitting and watching NASCAR or football is four hours of my life I will never get back.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Football 5 Stars, NASCAR 4 Stars, Supercross 4 Stars, Watching live event on TV 5 Stars, Watching Live event at event location 4 to 4 1/2 Stars. Watching taped / recorded event at later time /date -1 Star. Just my opinion.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Default Your right....

Still not a fan of watching sports on TV as they slowly find ways to slip in commercials and interviews at which point they will interrupt the viewing and you miss a lot of the action for the almighty dolar....one sport I do like to watch is know here as soccer and the best they have been able to do is add led billboards around the field but the game goes on non stop....but not everyones sport here....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

commercials = pee time or trip to the fridge, TV you get the slow mo replay different angles, zoom in, sit and watch the event without everyone in front of you jumping up and blocking your view. so not a fan of commercials but use them to my advantage.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Football 5 Stars, NASCAR 4 Stars, Supercross 4 Stars, Watching live event on TV 5 Stars, Watching Live event at event location 4 to 4 1/2 Stars. Watching taped / recorded event at later time /date -1 Star. Just my opinion.
    Opinions certainly vary...

Football and Golf are similar in exciitement for me, certainly a 2 or less. World Series of Poker gets a 1.

As for watching a taped event, while watching live on TV is cool, recorded, provided you do not already know the results, is great, blast through the fluff and watch what matters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I stopped following pro sporting events about the same time it became popular to call the players heroes. Getting paid big money to play a game and complain about everything doesn't make you a hero. NASCAR is boring. Watch the first lap and the last lap and take a motorcycle ride in between. Supercross is fun to watch as is a good flattrack race, especially on a mile oval. If it is above freezing and not raining I would rather ride my bike or be outside doing something. Sitting and watching NASCAR or football is four hours of my life I will never get back.
    Flattrack racing seems to be on a comeback and popular. I should search the TV listings to see if I get a channel that shows that series.

Spyder Garage

I can't watch motorsports on TV. There is no sense of speed.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

On TV Nascar looks slower than it is and Supercross looks faster than it is you do have a point.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    On TV Nascar looks slower than it is and Supercross looks faster than it is you do have a point.
    NASCAR or for that matter any vehicle traveling 200 mph around Daytona seems slow until the go by you.

As for Supercross, one thing TV does not show well is how gnarly rough the track gets with rutted turns that can consume an entire bike sometimes.

As for watching on TV, agreed it does not always allow justice, but then again, I dream of the day I can take the family jet to each round.

Slightly switching it up. I took my Grandson to Monster Jam last Fall. TV is cool, but live it becomes a true eye opener what they do with those trucks.