Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Black Hills South Dakota Routes

I thought we should have a folder for routes for those going to the Black Hills area either for the Deadwood Three Wheeler Rally or on their own. Thanks in advance to all who contribute!

first of all here are official links:

https://southdakotarides.com/printable-maps

https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/

https://gfp.sd.gov/csp-scenic-drives/

Post#4 has some routes as attachments
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 02-16-2019 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added scenic drives through Custer State Park
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I'm going to try and insert a folder we did for the Rally last year.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Good idea. A fantastic place to ride...and many, many roads to travel there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here it goes see if this works, hopefully as more are added it will help out in planning rides. I plan on adding routes that are paved "backroads" that people might not be familiar with that are not as heavily frequented by tourists. Also might list places to eat along the way, since this was a common question asked at last years D3WR.

Devils Tower from Spearfish link: https://goo.gl/maps/HP8rS9FwNbG2 clicking "avoid Highways" will put you on Old US 14, which runs parallel to I-90.

"Another Backway" link: https://goo.gl/maps/vBBiSQUpny72
    Cycle Shopping link: https://goo.gl/maps/aAu2F3VqPsR2
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 02-17-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: google alters routes to fastest on links. added waypoints & corrections

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Here it goes see if this works, hopefully as more are added it will help out in planning rides. I plan on adding routes that are paved "backroads" that people might not be familiar with that are not as heavily frequented by tourists. Also might list places to eat along the way, since this was a common question asked at last years D3WR.
    Thanks for the Info!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Added a route "Needles" that takes you up Iron Mountain Rd then over to Needles Hwy. Good for Picture taking...

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Added "Backway to Mt. Rushmore". Have Route starting @ Ft. Hayes south of Rapid City on Hwy 16. 99 cent all you eat pancakes & and stuff from "Dances with Wolves". Also "Bar at the end of the world"... maybe that needs to be in Wyoming... The name of the bar is Moonshine Gultch, in Rochford in case you want to look it up.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Another "Backway to Mt. Rushmore" map added. This is from Rapid City Regional Airport. Also a "Cycle Shopping" route running from Rapid City to Spearfish. From Spearfish there is the route that we took to Devils Tower using Old Hwy 14.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Added 2 more routes. "Badlands by Backroad" and "CanAm Hwy". I think I ran out of ideas, there are only so many paved less traveled roads to work with.
    Sheridan Lake Road from Rapid City to Hwy 385 is a nice ride, and so is The Hill City to Deerfield Lake Rd. Passed Deerfield Lake the road turns to gravel so you have to turn around. There are a couple nice campgrounds near the lake. I hope these routes were useful to those who might be new to the Black Hills!
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 02-12-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: ok, I lied there might be more. I'll add as they come to mind.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

It looks like the the google links aren’t always matching the maps. Seems the links want to revert back to the fastest route which doesn’t take the back or side roads. I’m going to go into the maps and add more waypoints and see if this fixes that issue. Looks like Google Maps only allows 10 "destinations" so some links are still not quite in sync with the maps.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Going to add another map when I get home in the next few days. Instructions are from Rockerville on hwy 16, go down S. Rockerville rd. until hwy 40 which goes into Keystone. Turn left on 40, then right within a couple hundred yards after crossing the creek bridge. This is playhouse rd. Playhouse rd will take you to Iron Mt. road where you take another right. Iron Mountain rd is a scenic winding road that has tunnels that frame Mt. Rushmore and unique pigtail bridges. It descends into Keystone where you can play tourist. Heading up hwy 244 (left at the intersection of Iron Mt rd and 244) go passed Mt Rushmore and keep on 244 until you run into hwy 16 going to Custer. Take a left at the stoplight the another left shortly thereafter on hwy 89. Continue up the hill until hwy 87 were you take another left. This road will take you passed Sylvan lake and on to the Needles. You will get to the Needles Eye and Cathedral Spires within a few miles.
    In my opinion this is the best route to catch the most scenery.
    Hope to see most of you in Deadwood.

https://goo.gl/maps/f1JNbTvJDqJXNq98A
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 06-17-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added link

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

RapidSpyder, Thanks for all the effort you've put in to assist us in making the most of our time while down in Deadwood!
    Hope to see you there!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Updated a YouTube video to go with the “Neck Yoke rd to Mt. Rushmore” route.

https://youtu.be/0_EIrg3pUAc

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Just an FYI, Sheridan lake rd is closed past Rapid City to Hwy 385. Probably until next summer, major reconstruction.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here is a video of the 1880 train route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79CBEBWSg8k&t=287s

I couldn't add it to the map.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Added another, a ride through the tunnels in the central Black Hills. Will be the next video we do on 605rides, hopefully next week. The first tunnel isn't on the map but is the one on 16A just before you get into Keystone.

https://youtu.be/dySi7tWslkA
    Attached Files Attached Files

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

When you ride this route in order to see Mt.Rushmore in the tunnels do you ride it counter clockwise? Thanks for all the work you have put into these maps. Looking forward to seeing you in July.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The first two from Keystone are cut as you drive, the other is cut the other way. There are pull outs on both sides so you could turn around if needed, or just picture after you go through. I would go from Keystone, but that’s because I’m cheap. By taking the Playhouse rd cut across, you avoid having to pay for the State Park sticker. The only time they have someone there is during the Sturgis Rally because of the heavy traffic, but I didn’t say that...

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

GETTING THE BIKES ALL PACKED UP LEAVING TOMORROW NIGHT HEADED OUT TO THE RALLY
    Deadwood Three Wheeler Rally
    HOPE WE HAVE ALOT OF FELLOW SPYDERLOVERS JOIN US
    SEE YA ON SUNDAY
    GREG
    2018 f3t , red

Spyder Garage

Look forward to meeting people from here also. Hope everyone has a safe trip.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Getting ready,leaving friday morning. We will stay that night in Chyenne then follow the Chyenne to Deadwood stage road on Saturday and chech in Saturday night. See you all Sunday.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

For those heading to DW3 & Devils Tower. I keep talking to many people who have been to the tower many times but didn't know about the tower trail.

here we go. https://www.nps.gov/deto/planyourvis...P_JUMP_5976967
    Well worth the walk on a paved easy trail around the tower base

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    For those heading to DW3 & Devils Tower. I keep talking to many people who have been to the tower many times but didn't know about the tower trail.

here we go. https://www.nps.gov/deto/planyourvis...P_JUMP_5976967
    Well worth the walk on a paved easy trail around the tower base

T.P.
    Another good one. Did the trail once, many years ago.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

About a mile around. Paved and not too difficult of a walk only “rough” for a short stretch. Heck my wife made it around w/o much problem…

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Getting ready,leaving friday morning. We will stay that night in Chyenne then follow the Chyenne to Deadwood stage road on Saturday and chech in Saturday night. See you all Sunday.
    Hwy 85 from Newcastle to Cheyenne Crossing is a ride that is missed by a lot of people. Salt Creek overlook just outside Newcastle has a great view of the valley below, and from Buckhorn to Cheyenne Crossing is a scenic ride.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey