Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I am planning on coming up the old Cheyenne to Deadwood stage road Saturday so thanks for the tips.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you want to avoid the four lanes and you’re coming from the east, think about taking Highway 12 out of Sioux City through the Niobrara River Valley. It’s a beautiful country and it has its own echo system. Lotta things to see you on the way to the Black Hills or deadwood.

Spyder Garage

Those traveling West to DW3 on roads South of I90 in SD. You will need to check SD511 for roads closed through reservation lands.

https://www.sd511.org/#zoom=8.012159...cond&cams&rwis

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Also 83 south from Murdo is being completely redone and is closed from White River
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Also 83 south from Murdo is being completely redone and is closed from White River
    Murdo...about one hour from the Badlands National Park. We used to stay at the Super 8 motel there on our Badlands trips. It was a new motel then. Liked the Auto Museum. And...because the time zone is just outside of Murdo...we could leave at 8:00 AM, drive the sixty miles to the Badlands entrance, and arrive there at 8:00 AM. I used to comment, we got there in no time at all.

The return trip was a different thing of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Murdo...about one hour from the Badlands National Park. We used to stay at the Super 8 motel there on our Badlands trips. It was a new motel then. Liked the Auto Museum. And...because the time zone is just outside of Murdo...we could leave at 8:00 AM, drive the sixty miles to the Badlands entrance, and arrive there at 8:00 AM. I used to comment, we got there in no time at all.

The return trip was a different thing of course.
    I've stayed at that hotel like you said...when it was new. Murdo geographically is a great town to stay when heading west and wanting to get into the Badlands early. That Auto Museum isn't half bad either. Trying to convince the wife that we should drive through the Badlands on Friday when the rally ends and we head east back to Sioux Falls.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    I've stayed at that hotel like you said...when it was new. Murdo geographically is a great town to stay when heading west and wanting to get into the Badlands early. That Auto Museum isn't half bad either. Trying to convince the wife that we should drive through the Badlands on Friday when the rally ends and we head east back to Sioux Falls.
    Yes, the Badlands loop is a must see. From both directions. It's like going through two different parks. Stop at Cedar Pass Lodge at the Western side of the park. Buffalo burgers and Indian Fry bread. It does not get much better than that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-15-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Added a video to go with the tunnel run map. https://youtu.be/dySi7tWslkA
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Great video. We did your tunnel ride twice (once in each direction) week before the 4th. Five of us, 2 BMW K1600, 2 Goldwings, and my F3. Had a great time. Have ridden these roads many times (6th trip to the Hills). Always great. Question for you though. What happened to all the trees at the bottom end of Spearfish Canyon?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Great video. We did your tunnel ride twice (once in each direction) week before the 4th. Five of us, 2 BMW K1600, 2 Goldwings, and my F3. Had a great time. Have ridden these roads many times (6th trip to the Hills). Always great. Question for you though. What happened to all the trees at the bottom end of Spearfish Canyon?
    Thanks! Damage is actually from 2 different tornadoes couple years apart. Rare for the Black Hills to have 1 that strong, let alone 2 so close in proximity and time.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Great video!
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

That is a shame. I hear you on the rarity of tornadoes in the area. We have had a couple here in AZ which is also very unusual.

Thx
    Rick

Thanks! Damage is actually from 2 different tornadoes couple years apart. Rare for the Black Hills to have 1 that strong, let alone 2 so close in proximity and time.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

We’re headed out that way Wednesday from Colorado…going through Nebraska to Sioux City then up to Sioux Falls then over to Sturgis then to Wyoming and back home.
    First long ride in a few years and first on the Spyder. We’re looking forward to it and having a nice little break from stuff.
    If We see any Ryders along the way we’ll wave to ya ��
    My rights don’t end where your feelings begin.

21 Sea To Sky

2 & 3 wheels

Caged

Spyder Garage

Have a good trip.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Now that daylight is getting shorter and temps colder, it's time to catch up on videos. Have a couple we need to put together, we just like to ride too much when it's nice out. Also going to highlight a few places to eat when you're here. Your tastes may vary.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Trent Having eaten at two of your suggestions I am looking forward to some others.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sheridan lake road opened up today from Rapid City to Hwy 385. First time in 2 years due to reconstruction, so my son and I had to ride it. They are still working on it but at least you can take it now.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

That Needles ride brings back so many memories. My dad was stationed at Ellsworth 1967-75. Spent many weekends exploring and camping around the Black Hills. Thanks for sharing the video.

Spyder Garage

Sheridan lake road opened up today from Rapid City to Hwy 385. First time in 2 years due to reconstruction, so my son and I had to ride it. They are still working on it but at least you can take it now.
    update on this, gravel again due to work on about a mile in from 385 for about 4 miles. Supposed to be done by the Sturgis Rally?

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Added 2 more routes. "Badlands by Backroad" and "CanAm Hwy".
    Does that route CanAm highway take you through 'Icebox Canyon'. We went on a road on the way home from Sturgis one year and ended up in Newcastle. The locals saw we were frozen (and it was in August) and asked if we came through Icebox Canyon

Spyder Garage

Does that route CanAm highway take you through 'Icebox Canyon'. We went on a road on the way home from Sturgis one year and ended up in Newcastle. The locals saw we were frozen (and it was in August) and asked if we came through Icebox Canyon
    Yes, also known as upper Spearfish Canyon. On our to do list for videos. A lot of people miss out on it when they turn east at Cheyenne Crossing to Lead/Deadwood instead of going west toward NewCastle. Nice ride to O’Neil Pass. Salt Creek overlook just north of Newcastle is scenic too.
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 05-30-2022 at 09:34 PM.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

We try to take that route at least once every year. Great way to get to Custer from the north.

Spyder Garage

How is Crook City Road from Whitewood to Deadwood?

Spyder Garage

How is Crook City Road from Whitewood to Deadwood?
    Also one of our favorite backroads, not a lot of traffic. Usually take the service road also that runs beside I 90 from Sturgis to Whitewood also when we do that road. Bullwacker’s in Whitewood is a must stop.
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 06-07-2022 at 06:42 AM.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thx for the info on Crook City Rd. We have eaten at Bullwacker's several time as we stay in Whitewood for the Sturgis Rally and also take the service road back into to Sturgis.