Spyder Garage

Default New rider this spring -- I hope!

Looking at selling the Wing, and moving to a Spyder. I'm sure I'll have questions once I start ridding. Initial question is about road surfaces.. How does the Spyder handle gravel roads?
    Cheers,
    Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gonna try this again. I just replied and nothing happened.

I live on and am surrounded by gravel roads. I bought the missing belt guard for my Spyder and it helps, but even so, you need to slow way down to protect the belt and all the plastic that's rattling like crazy! The Spyder handles gravel just fine, though. Even if you get squirrelly, you won't fall down!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the SL forum!! Best thing to do is test drive one they're different models available some are belt drive and the new Ryker is shaft drive. They all have low ground clearance so look at that and see what fits your needs. Good luck shopping and test driving. Look around the different forums here also.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

North, last summer I rode my 2013 RTL over 80k of gravel/dirt roads into and out of Minnesota's Northwest Angle, most of it at 70 - 80kph just fine. I do have the missing belt guard and the Air Ryde Rock Armour to protect the belt and airbag on my RTL.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy shopping !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Any place you would take the wing, the Spyder should go. Test drives are important.

You may find the following discussion about riding on gravel roads to be helpful.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=gravel+roads
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-22-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome North, I went from a Wing to a Spyder RTS 2 years ago. It will feel different at first, but when you are used to the new ride, you will like it.

I like the Spyder a lot, but still miss the trike!! Must say though the Spyder suspension is so much nicer. Take care, and enjoy the ride.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Looking at selling the Wing, and moving to a Spyder. I'm sure I'll have questions once I start ridding. Initial question is about road surfaces.. How does the Spyder handle gravel roads?
    Cheers,
    Gary
    If you're going to do a lot of riding on gravel you might ought to consider the Ryker. It has an enclosed shaft drive rather than an exposed belt. BRP designed it specifically to handle non hard surface roads. If you go with an RT of F3 then the suggested belt guard would be necessary to lessen your chances of getting pebbles into the belt. With the RT the suggested rock armor air bag guard would be good to have. And most of all keep your speed down at a level so as to not throw up a lot of gravel from the rear tire. I've not had any problem on gravel but I wouldn't want to ride miles and miles of it because I keep the speed under 20 mph.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I went from a trike to a Spyder and have enjoyed the swap. You might consider the belt guard if you plan to ride a lot of gravel. I don't have it but I ride only pavement and a few parking lots. Ride on