Hi all,
New to club this past week. Not sure if anyone has already posted this info. Just thought I'd share my 1st mod with y'all.
I noticed the new spyder was a little sluggish turning over and thought to myself that I could get stranded somewhere with a weak battery. Opened the frunk, found the battery and realized there was no way I was going to be able to attach jumper cables to those two tiny screw heads(battery terminals) in the event of a weak/dead battery. So, I decided this spyder was in need of a direct hook up to a battery maintainer/charger. I use a product called Battery Extender(pictured) which analyzes, charges and maintains your vehicles battery.) First, I unzipped the fabric liner in front of the battery cover and pulled the USB and auxiliary plugs back through the rubber gasket in the fabric liner. Unscrewed the plastic cover (2 torx screws on top of cover) and removed it. That plastic battery cover has no holes in it to feed the maintainer/charger cables and is a sealed cover (rubber gasket all the way around it). After examining the plastic area around the cover I came upon a rubber plug just to the right of the battery cover. Bingo! Easy fix(I hoped). I pulled that rubber plug out, sliced a 1/2 inch vertical slot in it and pushed the two small terminal wires from the maintainer through towards the inside, then pressed the rubber plug back into its hole. Next I removed my negative(black) terminal wires, washer and screw using a phillips screwdriver and added my black eyelet(wire) from the maintainer to the two existing black eyelets(wires). Did the same procedure on the Positive(red) side. There is a metal battery holder attached over the front middle of the battery with a thick rubber band that should be loosened from the top, that way you can tilt the battery towards you for easier re-fastening of the two screws to the battery terminals. Remember the negative wires screw into the top of the battery terminal and the positive wires screw into the front of the terminal. I then screwed in all three black wires (eyelets) to the top of the negative (black) battery terminal and then fastened the positive(red) eyelets(wire) to the front of the positive battery terminal. Before buttoning up, I turned the key to make sure all was connected and "Gracie" came to life. Turned the key off and reattached the battery cover(two torx screws). Fed the new maintainer wire through the rubber plug in the liner directly in line with it and zipped up the fabric liner. Attached the maintainer cable to the new charging plug(see pic), plugged it in to an electrical outlet and found that my 6 day old spyder was only 77% charged. About an hour later she was at 96%, now fully charged. The battery extender will monitor your battery and charge it automatically when needed. You can push a small button on it at any time to see what your current battery voltage is. The extra rubber piece in the picture is for covering your new plug when not in use.
This is a great mod for those of you who store your bikes or do not use them for multiple weeks. I have always had maintainers on my motorcycles. Once again I apologize if this information has already been posted. Sorry for the long post and lack of pics.
Glide-on>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IMG_3381.jpg IMG_3374.jpg