Spyder Garage

Default Tire Question - Yeah I searched. 2010 RT-S, what to get?

OK, I'll start by asking you all not to hurt me.

Anyway, been looking for new tires for my Spyder, a 2010 RT-S that I bought used last year. Turns out it has the original tires on it, so they need to be changed now, or soon, just due to time. It has ~14,000 miles on it BTW. The current tires seem basically OK as far as tread wear and lack of checking/cracks/etc.

So I searched the threads and found not a lot of information about 2010 tires. The Yokohamas appear to be no longer available, and while I have found the Kumho Ecstas for the rear, I'll just go ahead and ask what folks are using for both fronts and rears, given it looks like I'll be replacing all three.

I am reasonably well convinced the OEM Kendas suck, by the way. And car tires are fine; I don't mean to start this debate.
    Just looking to hear what anyone is using, and why (you think!) it would be better than the Kendas.

Oh, and one other thing; if the tires are not available in OEM sizes, what to do? I'm not super keen on changing away from OEM size, but again, I'm open to being convinced. Thanks much!

Rear tire 225/50 R15
    Front tires 165/65 R14
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many, many folks here have already gone to these sizes and are Happier for doing so …. Rear 205 or 215 / 60 -15 ( like a General Altimx RT43 )….. for front anywhere from 145/50-14 to 175/ 50 or 55 or 60 or 65 - 14 ….. I love what " Vredestein " has - like the Quatrac 5 model ……. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

This can become a good informational thread for our friend Sully and other newer posters.

Can we all be helpful?
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-21-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    This can become a good informational thread for our friend Madison and other newer posters.

Can we all be helpful?
    I know, right? I tried to find current information but a lot of the specific tire model/size combinations appear to be 'no longer available'.

I promise not to start an oil thread!
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I think Yokohama are still available I have a friend that just bought one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    I know, right? I tried to find current information but a lot of the specific tire model/size combinations appear to be 'no longer available'.

I promise not to start an oil thread!
    Go for it. It has been awhile.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Go for it. It has been awhile.
    Go for the tire question, or go for a new oil thread?
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

OK, so here's what I have found so far.
    Pull the trigger?Spyder Tires.jpg
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    Go for the tire question, or go for a new oil thread?
    Yes. Your okay with either.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I too researched the board tire threads and went prepared to the tire store to buy some replacements. The dealer is a biker as well and showed me several other brands that he thought better, which I purchased and have been a happy camper since. They were a brand I'd never heard of but there are many out there. My advice is find a knowledgeable dealer and have at it. Let us know!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of the things you'll run into, as you already have, is the market life of specific tire models. We all like to tout our favorite model of tires, but many don't last long on the market, for example Michelin HydroEdge. So by the time a tire wears out and we get ready to buy the replacement, we have the same problem you do, trying to find the latest equivalent to a highly recommended tire from only 3 years ago!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For the 14” front tires many have used Bridgestone Potenzas in the stock size. For the rear there are many choices in the 215/60/15 size.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StillKickin View Post
    I too researched the board tire threads and went prepared to the tire store to buy some replacements. The dealer is a biker as well and showed me several other brands that he thought better, which I purchased and have been a happy camper since. They were a brand I'd never heard of but there are many out there. My advice is find a knowledgeable dealer and have at it. Let us know!
    I'm sure that dealer knows lots about MOTORCYCLE TIRES ….. However the Spyder uses AUTO tires …..and if you think they are the same - well just try mounting a GoldWing or BMW motorcycle tire on a Spyder Wheel ...……… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StillKickin View Post
    They were a brand I'd never heard of but there are many out there.
    AND......what brand DID you get ???

It's kind of hard to talk tires with a Spyder dealer, since many of them won't sell or install anything but the stock Kenda's.