Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

For the fronts, it looks like Yokohama do an S-Drive in 175/50R16 77T SL that's almost identical in size in all respects except the width, but I haven't been able to get the ACTUAL physical dimensions of the OE Kendas to confirm any physical size differences yet.... and I believe Kumho do an Ecsta SPT KU31 in 165R45/16 74V which is a 'similar in all but width' size too. Both of those are basically Dry Weather Perfomance tires, altho both manufacturers claim that their particular tires have "superb wet weather performance, grip, and hydroplaning resistance".... Yeah, riiight! And without trying very hard I found a whole heap of alternatives for the 205R45/16 or the 205R55/15 rear tires in just about any spec or tread type you might want; 48 popped up on the very first search I tried!! So I don't think it'll be too hard to find a replacement tire for the rear!

So it seems that there are some 'reasonably close in rolling dia but wider' alternative front tires out there; tires that look like they should fit under the std fenders without much effort/modification, but we really need those people with Rykers to get out there & start putting miles on the OEM Kendas to see if BRP's claim of improved tire life & exceptional ride & handling is anything more than marketting hype! Yeah riiight! And I really want to get hold of a couple of these 'new' Kendas to dissect them & see how they are REALLY made.... I suspect that they aren't 'real' motorcycle M/C tires, but just like the Kendas fitted by BRP to our Spyders, they are basically just poorly made lightweight versions of automotive Passenger 'P' tires, the proof will be in the dissection! However, right now we don't have too many Rykers on the ground here in Aus, so it might be a little while before I can convince someone to donate their Kendas to the cause!!

That means it's up to you lot over there - get out there & start racking up the miles on those Rykers! You can't let a little snow or cold weather stop you, that's irrelevent & unimportant in the burning drive to answer these important questions for the edification of all Spyder/Ryker Lovers! Just get on your trikes & ryde, you hear me?! I'd do it myself but no Aussie Rykers have been delivered yet, aand besides, it's over 40° C here again today, so it's just too hot for me to ryde...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

it seems that we have to look on the japanes Market .. they have a lot of smaller cars
    - found this here for the rear (Price would be Ok)

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/g...-2055516.html#

Kenda 205-55 R16.JPG
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Does that say 4.4 psi for max pressure?

Spyder Garage

We don't yet know anything about these particular Kendas on the new Ryker. These tires are different than the ones on the Spyders (same brand - different models), and the Ryker weighs 300 - 400lbs. less than the RT's & F3's. The handling and wear of these new Kendas on the new Ryker could be completely different than our Spyders! Maybe BRP & Kenda got it right this time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

C'mon guys, if you have a problem with a post or poster, don't start a posting war, just report the post & let the mods handle it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoats1 View Post
    Does that say 4.4 psi for max pressure?
    No it wouldn't. I don't see it on the pics of the tires but if that's the number on the tire it's probably 4.4 kpa (kilopascal, metric) which is about 90 psi. It might actually be 1.4 kpa but that seems low.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My tires still have whiskers (****) on them. I hope options develop before I have to buy new tires.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

You can make an extension for your regulator torque wrench. and use an extension calculator. https://belknaptools.com/extensions-calculator/

Spyder Garage

Default Others know Kenda tires are dangerous when wet: Facebook RykerLovers

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    More like opinion since there's no accompanying evidence to lend credence.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Sniff, sniff... I smell burning rubber and see black patches in the distance. Looks like it's tire testing time! Testing methodologies and empirical evidence to tell the tale. How to set up the test is the next hurdle.

Since the Ryker has only one "official" tire, we would need another vehicle with a similar tire size (combined contact patch area), track width, weight, and weight bias... for the minimums. Since the Ryker has no peers, and no alternate/official/approved front tire selection choices (yet), the first variable is the trickiest one to eliminate. If we attempt to use an alternative vehicle with similar metrics, then tire manufacturers, different tread patterns, rubber composition, etc... could be compared against the Kenda's on the Ryker. However, the control vehicle wouldn't be the same, which invalidates the test results.

Maybe we just need to wait for some brave new Ryker owners to mod their front fender assemblies to provide more clearance for alternative tire trials. They will be the brave NASA "X-" class pilots. Good luck and Godspeed to you brave souls... we're behind you all the way!

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

was thinking of having custom fenders done up for ryker. then i'd be able to change to a better quality tire with no issues...i hope.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post

The rear tire size 205/45R/16 is not going to be a problem as automotive tires are available. This fact is heart warming since the rear tire is going to go away as smoke quit soon for some riders.
    MAYBE if you ride like a pimply faced teenager!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-02-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Removed excessively sized image

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Well, I can say the Ryker is just as touchy with the alignment as the Spyders. I had the dealership perform an alignment at ~830 miles. Here's my front tires after 2900 miles...

Right.jpg Right Left.jpg Left

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by farmer54 View Post
    Hey guys I got to looking at mc tires on BikeBandit and found some 120-70-16 size tires. These are close to same size except 1" narrower and are rated "S" speed, I used the Shinko SR567 for size comparison. Frank farmer 54
    ………. Did you actually look at that specific tire ….. The tread is ROUND not Flat like a Ryker's …. The Shinko is for TWO wheel Mtc's …. The traction will be marginal on a Ryker …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Evidence, I and others here have used that specific tire ….. and IMHO had the best traction of any tire I have tried ….. I'd use that tire in a heartbeat ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    it seems that we have to look on the japanes Market .. they have a lot of smaller cars
    - found this here for the rear (Price would be Ok)

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/g...-2055516.html#

Kenda 205-55 R16.JPG
    Kenda has the worst record for QUALITY that I have ever seen..... From their own specs they are of marginal strength ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Not trying to resurrect a dead horse here. But the Ryker front tire situation has, if anything, gotten worse. The S-Drive tire (175/50R 16) that I was considering has been discontinued. And being over 1" wider than the 145/60R 16 Kenda, it isn't going to fit under the front fender anyway. Spacing out the fender like I did with my Spyder isn't an option because the clearance is the same on both sides.

There really isn't anything else out there that comes close enough for me. A 135/70R 16 will go. But the narrower width and taller sidewall are not good combinations. Overall, it's a frustrating process. If the Kenda's I have were decent, then I'd be fine. But they rattled my eyeballs out of the crate and after several attempts to get them balanced, they still shake an aggravating amount. Even though they are brand new, I know my only real solution is replacement.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hope a good replacement is found. I’m thinking about getting a Rally.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I hope a good replacement is found. I’m thinking about getting a Rally.
    Well, the stock tires will last a good long time and the wheel's aren't falling off my Rally so I would say you are clear to buy one if you can find one.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not a Kenda fan.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

You know, it's not just a Ryker thing. Car tires have gotten much larger in the last years. Some of my friends own older cars, sports cars, for which the OEM tire sizes are no longer available. They are having to go up in size and play with the aspect ratio to try and maintain the diameter.

Spyder Garage

Maybe we can hope the aftermarket will come out with a wide fender replacement to allow a better range of tires up front.

Spyder Garage

I was looking at the stock fender. If you slot the bolt holes holding them on it may be possible to raise the fender allowing a wider tire to clear.