Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker front tire size is Proprietary! Thanks again BRP........

I've been trying to find a source of automotive tires for the Ryker. BRP specifications for the front tire size is 145/60R/16. This tire is not to be found in the automotive world as far as I've been able to ascertain. Look here at a tire size table to confirm it yourself. https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/c...wheel-diameter

Current standard automotive tires can be purchase in 145/80R/16 and 145/90R/16. The problem is the middle set of numbers which represent the aspect ratio of the tire, ie. the height of the sidewall. Standard auto tires will be too tall to fit within the fenders and also completely change the handling. The Nanny is not going to be happy either.

The rear tire size 205/45R/16 is not going to be a problem as automotive tires are available. This fact is heart warming since the rear tire is going to go away as smoke quit soon for some riders.

I guess the moral of the story is BRP plans on have us purchasing Ryker front tires only from the BRP dealers. That matches up well with the fact you need a huge 3ft. long torque wrench and a special socket to mount the wheels.

It looks like the Ryker has more that one shaft associated with it. Thanks again BRP........

Spyder Garage

I certainly see your point. It is extremely frustrating but I believe it will be less frustrating than my ST when it comes to normal maintenance and service.

Spyder Garage

This is what I will be looking at when tires are needed for my Ryker. Sometimes you just have to get outside the box!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    I've been trying to find a source of automotive tires for the Ryker. BRP specifications for the front tire size is 145/60R/16. This tire is not to be found in the automotive world as far as I've been able to ascertain. Look here at a tire size table to confirm it yourself. https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/c...wheel-diameter

Current standard automotive tires can be purchase in 145/80R/16 and 145/90R/16. The problem is the middle set of numbers which represent the aspect ratio of the tire, ie. the height of the sidewall. Standard auto tires will be too tall to fit within the fenders and also completely change the handling. The Nanny is not going to be happy either.

The rear tire size 205/45R/16 is not going to be a problem as automotive tires are available. This fact is heart warming since the rear tire is going to go away as smoke quit soon for some riders.

I guess the moral of the story is BRP plans on have us purchasing Ryker front tires only from the BRP dealers. That matches up well with the fact you need a huge 3ft. long torque wrench and a special socket to mount the wheels.

It looks like the Ryker has more that one shaft associated with it. Thanks again BRP........
    I looooooooooooooooooooooove the " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " , it has the best performance rating of any tire that will fit the Spyder's ….. The smallest front tire they have ( info from the company )is a 185/50- 16 ……...However they make about 10 sizes that will fit the rear ……. go the Vredestein Co. tire site to find accurate info ……. Mike …..PS, if the choice is either mediocre tires or space out the wheels - - I would space out the wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is what I will be looking at when tires are needed for my Ryker. Sometimes you just have to get outside the box!

Those tires are 30mm wider than the stock tires. Do you think they will fit in the fenders?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It seems to be SOP with BRP. Lots of smart people here...and they will get the subject figured out quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Lots of smart people here...and they will get the subject figured out quickly.
    I came here for this comment. Thank you for your "Spydy-sense".
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Can someone who actually has a Ryker nearby to look at please post up a pic of the size & load rating info printed on the sidewall, ie the 145/60R16 75V or whatever is there - or at least copy it into a post so that those of us who don't yet have access to them can see all the important tire info??

You can get a lot of info from the printed stuff on the tire, and for that matter, if anyone can find the size & bead type stamp that should be somewhere on the rim as well, that might help a lot too!! It will probably be something like 5.5Jx16H2 ET32 or it might just be a portion of that, but there should be something on the rim. The bad news is that it MIGHT be printed in the well near the valve hole on the INSIDE of the rim, ie, you'd hafta take the tire off to read it?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Can someone who actually has a Ryker nearby to look at please post up a pic of the size & load rating info printed on the sidewall, ie the 145/60R16 75V or whatever is there - or at least copy it into a post so that those of us who don't yet have access to them can see all the important tire info??

Is this what you are looking for? It is from the right front tire.

2019-01-20_18-53-12.jpg
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

I also found this on the tire: 145/ 60r16 m/c

edit: found this on their website: MC145/60R16 66T front and MC205/45R16 77T rear.
    Last edited by GoandChase; 01-20-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: new info

Spyder Garage

Default Kenda tires for ever and ever and ever:

I found the data below on this thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=ryker+manual

************************************************** *******************************************

Default Ryker Tires vs Spyder (Kenda)

Good morning, curious to see what Spyder owners know from past experience of the Kenda tire experience. I have not been keeping up but I know the "stock Kenda tires support only" policy with Spyders, at one time was/was not enforced? Is it still currently same scenario? I will see if my dealer can give prices yet on stock oem tire replacement.

I looked at manual, googled the tire sizes, not a lot of options.

Front:
    Ryker 600 Ryker 900
    Kenda KR390 145/60R16
    M/C 66T

Ryker
    900 Rally
    Edition
    Kenda KR392 145/60R16
    M/C 66T

Rear:
    Ryker 600 Ryker 900
    Kenda KR391 205/45R16
    M/C 77T

Ryker 900 Rally Edition
    Kenda KR393 205/55R15
    M/C 81T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

I found this forward facing photo of a Ryker. From this distance it looks like the tire Ron has in mind may fit within the fenders. It would only add 1/2 inch on each side to the current tires and the aspect ratio would be okay too.

Nice find Ron!

Perhaps Ron can measure the fender clearance on his new Ryker and give us an update?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. That info (including the rim & load/pressure info) is what I was after.

The 'J' on the rim means that the Ryker rims are STILL automotive rims with automotive beads, (ie Car rims & beads, just like the Spyder rims) and not actually Motorcycle rims or beads. I'm a little intrigued with the 'MC' they've got in the size detail, but I suspect they've done the same 'hope this fools some of you' thing as they did with the Spyders & it's actually a made up 'special motorcycle only' label. I guess I'll hafta wait until I can get one of them in my hands to disect & see what they've actually done tho......

Still, I reckon that we'll find there's a reasonable selection of 'J' type beaded tires out there for small/medium sports & performance vehicles that will have the same or better load & speed ratings, that are very likely constructed just a wee tad stronger than the OE stuff, and that will last longer while providing better ride, handling, grip, durability, and even more importantly, safety.... altho they may well be wearing slightly different 'nominal' sizes on the sidewalls. Just check the ACTUAL width & rolling diameter before committing your hard earned $$! And as we've found with the Spyders already, the Nanny really wont mind all that much just so long as you keep any changes reasonably close to the same variation between the front tires & the rear tire.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Try using this tire size calculator.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Plug the Rykers tire size in on the left and the list on the right will show you the compatible sizes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Try using this tire size calculator.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Plug the Rykers tire size in on the left and the list on the right will show you the compatible sizes.
    Thanks Markububis, that is a great tire calculator.

It has a neat feature that allows you to compare two sizes of tires for comparison. I compared the Ryker front tire size 145/60R/16 and the Yokohama 175/50R/16. The diameter is very nearly exact, but the rub is the Yokohama is 1.2 inches wider. It may fit, perhaps Ron or someone else can take a ruler out to their Ryker and check it out for us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Just be a bit wary of those tire size comparison tools, they generally only work on the tires nominal sizes, ie, that printed on the sidewall; and those sizes can be somewhat different to the tires ACTUAL physical size!! Frequently by as much as 20mm or so (in diameter &/or width) but there are a few examples out there where the variation is closer to 50mm/2" different!!

Tire manufacturers use a variety of different methods to determine what nominal size they put on their tires, frequently even on different versions of their own tires too!! Some use the carcass diameter BEFORE the tread layers are formed & applied; while others use the completed tire INCLUDING the tread layers; &/or any combination of those & a bunch of other variations on the theme. So you really need to use the ACTUAL physical dimensions of the different tires; but those comparison tools help make a start!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

On the Unique Ryker I will be using OEM replacement tires because they are designed for the attributes of the Special vehicle. As long as front and back get at least 15,000 miles I will use them. They should get better mileage because of the lighter weight- As long as your Not burning up the rear every stoplight.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Corrected in my post below....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    There are 145/65-16's out there.... A tad taller, same section width. But no more of a difference than some of the non-Kenda tires some of us are using on our Spyders....
    @hyperone

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked on the internet for 145/65R/16 and found none. I did find some 145/65R/15 in Europe.

Perhaps you can point me to the 145/65R/16 please? When BRP made the decision to use 16 inch wheels they really locked us into Kenda tires unlike anything Spyder owners can imagine.

It's going to be much harder to fix a automotive tires to the front of a Ryker anyway you look at it.

I think potential buyers should be aware of this fact.

I also think that the decision to use a single aluminum alloy wheel retaining nut is a terrible idea. It's going to create unnecessary complications for owners in the future. If BRP had stuck with normal steel lugnuts it would be far easier to service. They are making a big sales push by saying how easy it is to maintain a Ryker, Okay well what's up with an 65 mm aluminum nut on a steel spindle. That is going to corrode and the nut is going to get damaged with impact tool usage by some unknowing user. Top it off with the fact that 225 ft/lbs of torque is required to install and uninstall the nut. This is stupid!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    On the Unique Ryker I will be using OEM replacement tires because they are designed for the attributes of the Special vehicle. As long as front and back get at least 15,000 miles I will use them. They should get better mileage because of the lighter weight- As long as your Not burning up the rear every stoplight.
    I’m with you on this I’ll stick with Oem tires

Spyder Garage

@hyperone

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked on the internet for 145/65R/16 and found none. I did find some 145/65R/15 in Europe.

Perhaps you can point me to the 145/65R/16 please? When BRP made the decision to use 16 inch wheels they really locked us into Kenda tires unlike anything Spyder owners can imagine.

It's going to be much harder to fix a automotive tires to the front of a Ryker anyway you look at it.

I also think that the decision to use a single aluminum alloy wheel retaining nut is a terrible idea. It's going to create unnecessary complications for owners in the future. If BRP had stuck with normal steel lugnuts it would be far easier to service. They are making a big sales push by saying how easy it is to maintain a Ryker, Okay well what's up with an 65 mm aluminum nut on a steel spindle. That is going to corrode and the nut is going to get damaged with impact tool usage by some unknowing user. Top it off with the fact that 225 ft/lbs of torque is required to install and uninstall the nut. This is stupid!
    Leland, do you have or are you planning to purchase a Ryker? You certainly have made plenty of negative posts about it... not just this thread, but other Ryker threads. Just trying to get a feel of where your coming from. I think some of the negative posts have been unwarranted. We don't even know if some of the issues you've posted negative comments on will ever be a problem. The Ryker is too new. For example, do we know that these front tires won't be great, handle great, and last 20,000 miles?

I think there's quite a few people on this Ryker forum who are very proud and excited about their new Ryker and they don't need to be brought down by unwarranted negativity!

Spyder Garage

Michaelscs

I understand your comments and concerns, yes I'm in the process of making a decision to purchase a Ryker. That decision requires critical thinking and analysis. It means looking at what is good and what is not so good about a design/product/part/etc. Pointing out various limitations, design flaws or poor engineering is important and others may not have consider these matters. It is clearly within my right to make these comments. If you don't like my ideas then I'm sorry it is not my intention to offend you or others, rather to bring serious matters to the attention of the public.

Remember the old saying "Don't shoot the messenger".

People don't like to hear that they may have made a bad purchase decision or that a recall is due etc. That facts are the facts, this is a new machine, problems are appearing, short comings are also appearing. Expecting everyone to ignore these matters is not using critical thinking skills. There are others that have made similar comments pertaining to concerns regarding this product. We have to watch, listen, and discuss these matters, good or bad.

Service bulletins regarding low or possibly missing crankcase oil are worthy of discussion at any level. The fact that the choice of tires for the front of the Ryker is severely limited is also a topic that prospective purchaser should know. The fact that changing a tire requires specialized tools and the lack of these tools during a flat tire will be a serious concern are all topic that I've discussed. Yes they are negative, so what. The truth is often unpleasant.

I'll let you get the last word in for what ever you choose to say, but I'm still going to be here after your comment(s). Good day to you.

Spyder Garage

Point taken. I guess I'm just more a "glass is half full" guy.
    Maybe it's the comments like "It looks like the Ryker has more that one shaft associated with it. Thanks again BRP........" that had me more concerned.
    You have a good day too.

Spyder Garage

@hyperone

GAH! I apologize! I went back to my search history and it seems I either fat-fingered my search entry or it got "auto-corrected" for me to 15"!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

In regards to tire size, I see many new cars come out that have unique tire sizes. Once they are released to market then tire makers start making tires for that size. Needless to say, you most likely will not need to get new front tires for a new Ryker for at least a year or two, so in my mind, this is a non issue.
    And when it does come up, I will most likely find the tire that fits it the closest. But seeing as how Can Am is putting these tires on their Rykers now, its pretty safe to say that in a year or two, there will plenty of replacement tires available.

As for the large nut to hold the tire one, buy the tool for it. It may not be available right this minute, but it will be eventually.