Spyder Garage

Default MY '21/'22 Production Ryker Fuel pump recall; + some '19-'24 replacements!

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ropulsion.html

https://www.rideapart.com/news/70294...l-pump-recall/

Which models are involved?

Fuel pumps installed in production on some Model Year 2021 and 2022 Can-Am Ryker

Some fuel pumps sold in service that may have been installed on Model Year 2019 to 2024 Can-Am Ryker. Possible impacted part numbers include:

709 000 810

548 874 036

709 001 261

219 800 529

"The fuel pump impeller could swell and cause the fuel pump to stop working."

"Upon BRP's investigation into the matter, it found that one of its suppliers had changed raw materials used in the impellers in its fuel pumps over the course of their manufacture. It went from a first source to a new source, then eventually back to the first source. The new source, they found, can cause the impeller to swell in use, which could cause it to interfere with the fuel pump housing, thus causing the fuel pump to stop working properly."

I called BRP who instructed me to call my dealer. As I had installed a replacement pump recently, I wanted to know if the replacement might be bad. The dealer service tech told me that affected fuel pump serial numbers are in the range 079 to 176 (first three digits). Hard to tell from the photo, but mine starts with a 2.

"BRP will inspect and, if necessary, replace the fuel pump at no charge to you (parts and labor). "

I suspect the "inspection" will be to check the fuel pump serial number. Although 10,000 MAY be affected, I suspect the actual number of replacements will be considerably less.

This is the second replacement fuel pump on my 2019 Rally. The original failed about a year ago, the replacement just a few weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2024 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info

2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Ryker Rally
    1992 Ducati 907ie
    Past rides:
    Yamaha Eluder GT
    BMW K1200s
    Moto Guzzi Stelio
    Honda VTX1300
    Harley Shovelhead
    Triumph T595
    Ducati 915
    Honda CBR600RR
    Suzuki GSXR1100
    1957 Harley Sportster
    Honda 750
    Suzuki TS185
    Honda 360

Spyder Garage

Thanks DickB. I wonder if they've had time to determine the affected bikes. I checked the NTHSA site and mine wasn't listed.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

My Rally is subject to the recall. The dealer is ordering replacement parts but they won't be available until Feb at the earliest. Thanks for the heads up :-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. Checked mine, and not listed. At least so far.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Hello Dick B, I do not believe the number that is stamped into the white plastic on top of your fuel pump/fuel level unit is the part number. The "BRP P/N --- --- ---" is the nine digit number listed on the top of the attached white paper stick on info tag that includes a UPC bar code. I checked my wife's 2021 fuel pump tonight and the number on her attached fuel pump/fuel level unit tag matched up with the first (top) BRP P/N listed in the recall letter that we received yesterday and as posted above in your comments that shows the correct four different part numbers in question. My wife's 2021 Ryker 900 ACE number is one of the possibly faulty fuel pumps in question - 709 000 810. Everyone should check the BRP P/N tag on their pump top by the fuel line exit. I wonder just how many have actually had issues or may or not be faulty?

I try to always use "Ethanol Free" gas in anything with what I consider to be "small engines" (especially if carbureted) that I get at a local gas station almost all of the time before we ride. Ethanol does a number on some materials, especially rubber parts. The ethanol attributing to this Ryker fuel pump issue is just my educated guess at this point since we have not had any issues with my wife's Ryker, but then it only has 1,100 miles on it, which might make a difference also. I like to follow the philosophy of "Don't fix it if it ain't broken", especially if the replacement has issues also. I just hope BRP obtains fuel pumps that will not have any such problems.

I had no "red dust of death" or apparent problems with the drive sprocket/pulley on my 2016 F3T but had them change it anyway as per the recall. So far all is well. Well, take care, be safe, and well. Think SPRING for us who live in the NE because I am getting anxious to ride at 77 years old and it still never gets old.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-11-2024 at 11:00 PM.
    2016 F3 T , Fabricated adjustable brake rod Intense Pearl Red

Spyder Garage

The six digit stamped number is the serial number, per the tech with whom I spoke.

Spyder Garage

Ok dumb question time.
    How do I access the fuel pump to get the number stamped on it ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Ok dumb question time.
    How do I access the fuel pump to get the number stamped on it ?
    This will stir you in the right direction.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJH0xSo0lc

Spyder Garage

Thanks, looks like a PITA.
    Will have to wait for spring to get to the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

I brought mine into the dealer in Medford, Or. this morning. They've looked at several Rykers the last couple weeks, mine being the first they've found in need of replacement. It's in the garage until they can get the parts they need.

Spyder Garage

Waterworld replaced my fuel pump this morning, took less than an hour.

Spyder Garage

Got mine replaced. Things are working good now.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Update:
    After the dealer replaced the fuel pump for the recall the "miles to empty" function stopped working properly.
    Prior to the replacement I'd use that display to know when to refuel rather than depending on the fuel gauge. I rode to Crescent City, Ca last Saturday filling up 3 times for the round trip of 300 miles. At each fillup miles to empty would read in the 80s with a full tank then after riding 20 or so miles on the highway it would jump to low 90s, then after 30 or 40 miles back to 84 or 86. Then back up to 90 or so. I called the dealer, he has the bike for the week while wife and I travel out of town. He called BRP support, they suggest reflash the ECM. He's thinking of replacing the fuel pump assembly again. I'll repost if or when it gets resolved.