Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT - One-piece rear wheel question

Like so many, I have ordered Yokahoma tires for front and rear. Like a good soldier, I did some research and came across Finless Bob’s video that was very helpful. I got to the part where the inner hub was removed. Mine can’t be removed. Apparently, at some point BRP went to a one-piece design for the rear wheel.

My concern is this; Bob mentions that the inner hub must come out in order for the tire shops to be able to mount and balance the new tire. I know many have been here before me, so I am curious about other’s experiences with this. I am a jack of many trades but know little about the equipment used to mount and balance tires.

I would appreciate any comments on what others have learned.

Thanks,
    SpyderDriver Jeff
    2020 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe they went to a one piece design on the 15 models. If the shop is setup for motorcycle wheels they can remove the tire. There is a shaft that goes thru the center of the wheel. Or they do have locking wheel clamps on the more expensive machine that will get the wheel on and off.

Spyder Garage

I can tell you we mount and balance rear tires on the one piece wheels all the time. We also never need to remove the inner hub or brake rotor from the wheels to do so. Just need the right equipment. Most good rim clamp tire machines will have no problem mounting the tire. Balance machine requires special equipment to handle the small bore in the wheel.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That one piece hub can be an issue with some places. On my 2014 RT I removed the center and could take the wheel to any place that did tires, but on my 2015 F3 with the non- removable center I had to chase around until I found someone that had the correct adapters to do it.
    The next time I will just bring it to my dealer and have them do the change.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

While I removed the hub, my tire place could have done it by just removing the brake rotor. So if your local tire place cannot do it with the hub on (which you can't remove anyway) try removing the brake rotor. Index mark it so you put it back in the same index to the rim. Not that you have to do this but saves any trouble.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Due to the taper on the inside of the wheel, the rim needs to be clamped from the OUTSIDE of the rim anyway. All rim clamp tire machines work both ways. Its sometimes the operator that does not know how. If clamping from the outside of the rim, the rotor is not in the way.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame