Spyder Garage

Default Tri Axis Installation Gotcha

Well the tri-axis handlebars are installed and most of my other circuits, lights, and goodies are in place as well. With special thanks to those that have gone before me and were kind enough to video and post comments. The journey was not without 1 gotcha of course. I had been messaging with Kenny Butler along the way and he was kind enough to share a bit of wisdom to take extra care when installing the pivot bolt NOT to push the bushing out. The instructions call for using a rubber mallet to tap the bolt into place. I received Kenny's warning about the time I was finishing the complete install. No harm-no foul, the bolt only needed a few light taps and it slid into place. I had read stories of people needing large hammers and drift pins to do the work. As I was moving the bars to do some wiring work I noticed a little play (cue ominous music). I pulled off the rubber skirt and found the bushing had in fact been pushed though, (insert unprintable words of your choice here). Luckily I was able to drop the grips and get to the bolt. Then the hunt was on for a new bushing....not a part identified individually by BRP. My dealer's parts team forward a picture and request to BRP for help. A visit to Ace Hardware (with a MUCH better selection of bits and pieces than the Orange or Blue stores) brought resolution. It was a common metric size, who would have believed. Disassembly and reassembly cost me about an hour but I spent two days doing parts searches and working out options just in case.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Great catch....

Glad you had help along the way and managed to catch the snafu.... good to know that the part is available locally and this will help save some time for those facing this problem...thanks for the legwork and the pictures showing the steps....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

BRP really should pull the "Tap with rubber mallet" out of the instructions. On the reinstall I was able to insert the bolt without any tapping. Just kept pushing the bolt and wiggling the assembly until it fit into place. Looking at the destroyed flange bushing I could see where the edge of the corner bolt just clipped the flange. There is so little material at that point it isn't surprising it didn't take much to shear off the flange and push the bushing through.

CJ JAX