Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just completed my MSF course this weekend - the order of shut-off is emergency switch on handlebar then ignition key.

1. if you are at speed and need to kill the engine, you don't have to take your hand off the handlebar, ensuring you maintain stability,

2. by using the emergency switch on the handlebar every time you start or stop the bike you ingrain the action into your brain and muscle memory so if/when an emergency occurs it is a reflexive/automatic action to kill your engine ASAP.

BTW, I would recommend the MSF course with

Firefly - looks like we had the same thought at the same time, but you must be a faster typist!
    Last edited by SSPSpyder; 06-16-2009 at 12:03 PM.

widowmaker2011

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Good points Widow - but maybe the SE5 has *some* throttle control via computer? Does it blip the throttle down when shifting - in particular the auto-downshift? Probably just cuts ignition for a brief second when auto-downshifting.

And as far as skipping from 1st straight into 3rd - pretty much impossible with this tranny - if it's the same tranny as us SM5 owners have.

Very strange indeed.
    Thats a good point , I only remember learning about momentary ignition kill at the shift points , but maybe. I just looked and dont see anywhere that there are servos or anything attached to the cables so I don't think so. heck I've been wrong before though. hmm maybe I am wrong , I found this-
    Electronics tied into the engine management system blip the throttle on downshifts. These occur automatically (based on several effective algorithms) or manually (triggered by the bar-mounted shift toggle).
    Last edited by widowmaker2011; 06-16-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Maybe it was an auto-downshift from 4th that went awry and made him think it was increasing the throttle? Not sure if he's a new rider with low miles still getting used to the Spyder - but I agree with you that there shouldn't be any way the computer could increase the RPMs by itself, or skip over a gear. Maybe he needs some Royal Purple---- ;-). BTW - my RP runs great - but the smell is still bothering me!

Spyder Garage

Default Issues leading up to this were 3 times in shop for shifting issues

My spyder has been in the shop three times so far for the same problems of not shifting into reverse, not shifting into 1st, not shifting out of first, not down shifting out of 4 th in these first 2,900 miles. When the N to R or first gear happens the rmps tend to be around 1900, unlike when there is no problem it idles at 1400 rpms. Also when I let it warm up before riding off it will not shift to 1st or reverse which has lead to this scary ride. They only way to resolve that issue is to shut the bike off, and wait two minutes then restart then it would work fine. But if you did not wait a estimated two minutes the bike would not go through normal start up procedure of the gauge resting, and scrolling the acknowledge message mode.

1. They installed grounds a 500 mile service.
    2. They up loaded new software second time in shop.
    3. They installed a new angle rotating sensor the third time in shop.

You can second guess me, or discredit me but BRP, and the dealer appeared to have a idea of what was going on so we will all learn what they come up with. I understand this my take a few days or so.

Also I have read as I am personally learning about my bike that some other people have had issues with their spyders a stop signs.

rleathen

SE5 transmission problems ????
    I have a 2008 SE5 Spyder. Normally when I come to a stop at a red light the transmission automatically downshifts to 1st and I can take my foot off the brake and the bike either stays stationary or very very slowly crawls forward. I have noticed that after a hard stop the the transmission still downshift to 1st but I must maintain constant brake pressure otherwise the bike wants to go forward almost as if I am throttling it up. I have noticed that the harder the stop, the more prominent the problems is.

Has anybody else had any similar issues or is this "normal" for this type of transmission and centrifugal clutch ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

kdsd731
    Spyder Tech.

hi, i work at berts mega mall, a large spyder dealer and am the highest trained spyder tech there. the E message is nothing to worry about, on the manual transmission, it occurs if the driver does a slow shift and on the semi auto, sometimes it pops up going in or out of neutral because the shift drum didn't completely rotate and make contact with the sensor, if you roll it forward or back it will pop into the gear. but there is no concerns to be having if that message comes up. and for the accelerating from a stop with no throttle applied. we had our 1st one come in for that the other day. i called our can am dealer tech line and spoke with them. they told me, they are aware of this issue, but at this moment they have no diagnostic steps to be made nor do they have a fix for it. they told me they have someone looking into it right now since they know this is a huge safety issue. he advised me to let the customer take the spyder as is and just ride with caution until there is a fix for it. im sure it will be a safety recall as soon as they figure it out. if you have any other questions message me, i am very knowledgable on the spyder.

10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
    kdsd731
    Spyder Tech.

i had my service advisor talk with can am today and asked about any conclusions to the lurching forward issues. he said so far, to check the throttle position sensor setting and that the "blippers" are sticking sometimes. not sure yet what the blippers are, i am assuming the rollers in the clutch assembly. i will keep keep you posted to any more answers i can find.

Spyder Garage

Default Do you think BRP told them to let a customer ride it

Do you think BRP told them to let a customer ride it even though they know, and acknowledge it is a safety issue? So tell the rider to be careful till we figure a fix out for it. I am kind of ****ting about this one if it is true that they may tell me to be careful.

kdsd731
    Spyder Tech.

hi, i work at berts mega mall, a large spyder dealer and am the highest trained spyder tech there. the E message is nothing to worry about, on the manual transmission, it occurs if the driver does a slow shift and on the semi auto, sometimes it pops up going in or out of neutral because the shift drum didn't completely rotate and make contact with the sensor, if you roll it forward or back it will pop into the gear. but there is no concerns to be having if that message comes up. and for the accelerating from a stop with no throttle applied. we had our 1st one come in for that the other day. i called our can am dealer tech line and spoke with them. they told me, they are aware of this issue, but at this moment they have no diagnostic steps to be made nor do they have a fix for it.
    they told me they have someone looking into it right now since they know this is a huge safety issue. he advised me to let the customer take the spyder as is and just ride with caution until there is a fix for it. im sure it will be a safety recall as soon as they figure it out. if you have any other questions message me, i am very knowledgable on the spyder.

Spyder Garage

Want the permanent fix--- get an SM5.

I really think BRP dropped the ball by not allowing the SE5 to also operate in FULL manual mode. My dealer fully expected shifting problems with these - told me that back in 2007.

Riding with caution should always be the case on any MC - and knowing your machine well and the proper technique for an emergency shutdown and how to get her back on the road.

It's my understanding there is a fairly simple procedure in the SE5 manual that shows how to get the bike out of a gear should it become stuck - so they obviously knew this may occur.

Many have reported creeping forward at stop signs while in gear (and you should stay in gear btw). Basic 'fix' was to apply foot brake just like you would with a car.

I really do feel for you SE5 guys - I would be none to happy with the various problems that have popped up.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

there should be zero tranny issues with se5's.
    honda has been using autoshifting atv's, with selectable full auto shifting or manual auto clutchless shifting with next to zero issues.

BRP needs to get this done right cause its just stupid to have a streetbike that stalls, creeps and does all kinds of other crap that other autos dont do.

Imagine being in six lane traffic, bumper to bumper and your spyder decides to choke.. Your dead plain and simple...

HOnda or yamaha needs to come out with one of these asap. They'll get it done right..

Spyder Garage

Default How do recommend that Firefly?

1. Do I call them up, and say we have a problem I would like to discuss a resolution that is fair to BRP, and Myself. I have a 09 SE5 that retails for $18100 that as you know is having issues, and one huge scare. Should I tell them I really like the spyder, and its design but my safety concerns for the SE5 make it undesirable. So would they like to work out some deal where we can come to a mutual consensus that I trade them a $18100 SE5 for a $15100 SM5 give or take some maybe I agree to spend $900 more and purchase their best plan.

2. Or the other option send it of to a ball washing lawyer to get the state lemon law board to decide. Which will pretty much do the same thing.

Do they seem like reasonable people at BRP Firefly to do your recommended approach.
    Last edited by nater1; 06-16-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nater1 the problems I was encountering were corrected when my dealer replaced the clutch rollers at the direction of BRP. Not sure if this is the solution to your problems however.
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
    1. Do I call them up, and say we have a problem I would like to discuss a resolution that is fair to BRP, and Myself. I have a 09 SE5 that retails for $18100 that as you know is having issues, and one huge scare. Should I tell them I really like the spyder, and its design but my safety concerns for the SE5 make it undesirable. So would they like to work out some deal where we can come to a mutual consensus that I trade them a $18100 SE5 for a $15100 SM5 give or take some maybe I agree to spend $900 more and purchase their best plan.

2. Or the other option send it of to a ball washing lawyer to get the state lemon law board to decide. Which will pretty much do the same thing.

Do they seem like reasonable people at BRP Firefly to do your recommended approach.
    The trade for SM5 was in jest - doubt they would do it----

You can buy the BEST plan at any time - well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Most SE5 owners have not had these problems - many have well over 10,000 trouble-free miles on them. If they can't fix it in a resonable amount of time - then you may need to turn the heat up. Lemon laws vary from state to state and in many states bikes do not fall under the lemon laws.

Good luck--- hopefully they won't keep your Spyder too long and can give you a concrete answer as to what happened and what the proper fix is.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Problem

Nater1, we just got a 09 SE5 a few weeks ago. Please be sure to post what the solution to the problem is... I want you to know that I wouldn't have re-started either if this one did something like yours did. I'm to old to get beat up anymore... takes to long to heal now-a-days. Thanks for letting us all know of a potential problem on the SE5. I also look at it like this... "better safe than sorry!"

Good luck with the satisfactory solution.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Default Called Dealer.

It had been three days so I figured I would inquire about it. BRP is sending out a whole clutch assemble, and a special part they want to install that they have came up with to deal with this issue. Also I was told they are installing a new ECU, and replacing the throttle body. That is nice to hear they are throwing a basket at it to make me safe. The dealer is always very nice, and BRP is seriously concerned about what happened. They know what I am saying happened is the truth after they got a look at it.

I would not be surprised if there is not a programming updated coming out to kill the bike if ( A+B happens it does not = C for crash)

Spyder Garage

It had been three days so I figured I would inquire about it. BRP is sending out a whole clutch assemble, and a special part they want to install that they have came up with to deal with this issue. Also I was told they are installing a new ECU, and replacing the throttle body. That is nice to hear they are throwing a basket at it to make me safe. The dealer is always very nice, and BRP is seriously concerned about what happened. They know what I am saying happened is the truth after they got a look at it.

I would not be surprised if there is not a programming updated coming out to kill the bike if ( A+B happens it does not = C for crash)

Sounds like they are taking care of you .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

SE5 transmission problems ????
    I have a 2008 SE5 Spyder. Normally when I come to a stop at a red light the transmission automatically downshifts to 1st and I can take my foot off the brake and the bike either stays stationary or very very slowly crawls forward. I have noticed that after a hard stop the the transmission still downshift to 1st but I must maintain constant brake pressure otherwise the bike wants to go forward almost as if I am throttling it up. I have noticed that the harder the stop, the more prominent the problems is.

Has anybody else had any similar issues or is this "normal" for this type of transmission and centrifugal clutch ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

I actually ran into this issue the other night. While stopped at a few different lights my spyder wanted to creep forward, so at a longer light on a deserted road, I downshifted to neutral and the RPMs were running around 3500 with my hand off of the throttle. Then of course, when the light turned green, I couldn't get it to go to first, so I turned the bike off for a few seconds, restarted it and was able to go. I have a 2008 SE5 which is going to be due for it's 600 mile service next week. I'm defintely letting my dealer know about it.

Edit to add: and of course, I'm finding all sorts of other posts about the creeping and how to fix it by blipping the throttle. Nothing to see here, move along.
    Last edited by Indyrobb; 06-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No I was not restarting it are you nuts. I may be dumb but I am not stupid.

You did exactly the right thing with an SE5. No way to prevent disaster if the throttle is still stuck
    -Scotty
    Actually with the SE5 as soon as it starts its put in Nuetral and will not shift into 1st if the RPMS are over 1550 or so. so you would have plenty of time to determine if the throttle is stuck or not before actually moving anywhere.

But i do agree not trying to ride it if the throttle was still stuck was the right thing to do
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Actually with the SE5 as soon as it starts its put in Nuetral and will not shift into 1st if the RPMS are over 1550 or so. so you would have plenty of time to determine if the throttle is stuck or not before actually moving anywhere.

But i do agree not trying to ride it if the throttle was still stuck was the right thing to do
    You are probably right, but with these other major malfunctions, it is hard to say what it might have done. Any rider would probably be apprehensive. Hopefully, the interlock to prevent starting in gear would have worked, and it wouldn't have started even if he had tried.
    -Scotty