Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTL ecu location and removal

Can someone here point me In the right direction on the location of the ECU on a 2012 RTL thanks in advance for any help given

Spyder Garage

Not positive about the 2012 RT's PR, but for however much help it may be, on my 2013 RT the ECU was on the rear of the LH side front spar that the frunk hangs off. So for a Ryder sitting on their Spyder (hey, I'm a poet dontcha knowit?! ) the ECU was ahead on the Left under the closest edge of the frunk lid & that black filler panel that covers the gap.

It did make it easier to remove by stripping off the frunk, the remote battery posts (altho I think they only came fitted on the 2013's) the LH Headlight, the LH top side panel, & removing the air intake ducting & the associated plenum box which runs from behind the LH Fog light across to the air filter box on the right, because the 3 bolts that hold the ECU onto the front spar are all inserted from the air duct/engine side & leaving all that in place leaves only about 10mm gap to unscrew a 25mm long bolt into....

But as I said, the above applies to the 2013 RT's & may not be of any use to you & your 2012. Worth a look tho - the ECU is an unmistakable 'black box' with cooling fins on the outside & a heavy cable plugged into one of the long narrow sides via 2 fairly complex looking plugs. The plugs aren't hard to get off, but there IS a tiny 'locking tab' that needs to be pressed in before you can swivel the clip lock down & out of the way in order to release it all. You'll recognise that when you see it, but trying to undo those clips will drive you nuts & be impossible until you DO find & release the locking tabs!!

All that said, I really hope someone with a 2012 RT who KNOWS where the ECU is posts up soon.

Good Luck.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Wow Peter first thanks a bunch for the Info I will look and see if I could find it where you say it is on your 2013 hopefully it won't be too bad and yes I'm hoping that so.eo e with a 2012 experience will chime in appreciate all the tips.
    D

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not positive about the 2012 RT's PR, but for however much help it may be, on my 2013 RT the ECU was on the rear of the LH side front spar that the frunk hangs off. So for a Ryder sitting on their Spyder (hey, I'm a poet dontcha knowit?! ).
    Yeah but your feet show it ,they're loooooongfellows

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Yeah but your feet show it ,they're loooooongfellows
    Not my feet at all! I'm an Ozzie, so Banjo Paterson's my Man,.... & we ride in this country, just ask The Man from Snowy River
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Banjo Paterson
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Important: Disconnect the battery FIRST. Go get a cup of coffee for about 45 minutes, then come back and start working on it. The system must be totally discharged before disconnecting wires and plugs. Too many "What If's" to list.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!