Spyder Garage

Default How would you compare the "fix and finish" of the Ryker compared to the Spyder?

How would you compare the "fix and finish" of the Ryker compared to the Spyder?

I own an F3 and I would say BRP did not cut corners on fit and finish on this product and the engine was built in Austria. It feels like helicopter quality construction. "High Quality"

I've been shopping online for Rykers and reading some reports that the upgrade components have needed a bit of trimming to fit correctly.

Viewing the trike on-live gives me the impression that the plastic body components are flimsy, of course this is not a fair way to evaluate such an exciting new toy. I'd like to hear options from those with first hand experience of the Ryker.

Does the trike look and feel well made? Is the plastic flimsy? Does if feel like BRP "cheaped out" on the design? I hope not, I'd like to own one myself.

I realize BRP made compromises to lower the cost, but to what extent?

Spyder Garage

Good question. There has to be some kind of difference between $9K and $25K.

Am guessing though, that Ryker, is going to be good value for the money.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't own one "yet" but I have ridden 2 of them and sit on and looked at many of them, I think the fit and finish is real good and have not noticed anything that looks cheap. They are pure basic compared to the Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Why are you interested in buying a Ryker if you already have the F3?

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post

I own an F3 and I would say BRP did not cut corners on fit and finish on this product and the engine was built in Austria. It feels like helicopter quality construction. "High Quality"

I've been shopping online for Rykers and reading some reports that the upgrade components have needed a bit of trimming to fit correctly.

Viewing the trike on-live gives me the impression that the plastic body components are flimsy, of course this is not a fair way to evaluate such an exciting new toy. I'd like to hear options from those with first hand experience of the Ryker.

Does the trike look and feel well made? Is the plastic flimsy? Does if feel like BRP "cheaped out" on the design? I hope not, I'd like to own one myself.

Spyder Garage

Probably because it's a little hooligan. I also have a F3S but the Ryker is a whole different thing.
    Last edited by Sydermon; 02-04-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Addition

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I may get flamed for this, but there is no comparison in the quality of the Ryker with any version of the spyder. I have owned a RSS, RT, and F3T, all were pretty good quality. The ryker had me afraid that I would break plastic parts on it. It was online with the quality of the Chinese scooters in my opinion. But, with it being backed by Can am, I might would give it a chance if I was in the market. But no way would I replace a spyder with a ryker.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The Ryker is not a Spyder. Can-Am makes no bones about this. The Ryker, though sharing some major concepts with the Spyder, as in 3 wheels, 2 in front. Is apples and oranges not long after this comparison.

The Ryker is a bare bones machine with some really neat innovations. The 'Fit and Finish' is more than acceptable at this price break. The hard parts fit very well. And there just isn't all that much body work. Yes, it's plastic. But so is most of the Spyder.

As for the accessories. Not to disparage anyone or their ability to know what fits and what does not. But it is possible that some have had issues due to lack of understanding and not necessarily due to part fitment. Again, I say POSSIBLE! I say this because some have had no issue at all installing the same part that others say will not fit. Just saying, the jury needs to wait until all the facts are in before making a judgement on this.

My feeling is, that even if there are fitment issues with factory accessories, BRP/Can-Am will make it right.

There is little benefit in swinging wildly at the air. Anyone interested should go to your dealership, look a Ryker over closely, ride one, and then make an informed decision. I am sure there will be more information here on Spyderlovers.com as things go along.

Everyone wants a Silk Purse at a Sow's Ear price. It isn't going to happen. However, a sow's ear can make a very nice purse. You might want to try one.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-04-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    It was online with the quality of the Chinese scooters in my opinion.
    That's a scathing condemnation right there! Chinese scooters are known to be bad, very bad, like life threateningly bad (except maybe Kymco). If this is true, the Ryker is worth 1/3 of what I paid for it.
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Does this mean that I have to trade mine in? I only bought it a week ago?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post

I have a 2016 F3T which I have changed into a Limited added the back tour box. And the 2019 Ryker 900ace which is getting BRP add on. Side by side both bikes are steel frames and with a plastic covering. My self I don't think either bikes covering is any better than the other both do a great job and look great to me . I do think they are just different. Different riding style. To me the Ryker is the crotch rocket of the Spyder World and both are fun to ride. Chinese Scooters no way. The Ryker can do cross country rides just a little more gas stops, the Ryker is just as high quality as my F3T just me. BRP is always come out with something NEW for us to ride, and I'm happy. "fix and finish" and "High Quality" built in to the Ryker. Only time will tell. Chinese Scooters ( get a rope )

Spyder Garage

I want to say that I am very happy, and actually impressed with my new Ryker. I am not understanding why some are giving it such negative reviews. I know everyone has a different perspective and each opinion is important. But to compare the Ryker to a Chinese product just seems more than a bit unfair.

I'm not recommencing the Ryker because I have one. I am recommending it because I think it is a very well made and thought out product. Time may temper my opinion somewhat. I don't know yet. But as of right now. I like it very much.

I tell customers all the time to stay away from certain products that I have tried and i was not satisfied. So I will have no qualms about 'complaining' if I find something I don't like about the Ryker. But frankly, as stated already, I think it is a great ride! I understand that the Ryker isn't for everyone. We all have different needs/expectations/etc. But even if I don't like a particular product. I still try to be fair and accurate.

Sometimes, it's not that a product is bad. It may be that it just does not fit your needs. There is a big difference there. Something has to be truly bad before I call it Chinese...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-04-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Comparing a Ryker to a Chinese scooter is way off base. I had a Chinese scooter before I got my honda ruckus, now I own a Ryker. The scooter was a reverse trike like a can am but 50cc and if you own one you get very good at repairing them, I put 21000 mi on the Chinese scooter, you can rebuild the motors top end for $15-20 and 2 hrs. of labor but you plan on riding it today and wrenching on it in the morning to ride again, or you will break down on the road and need a ride home. I don't see the Ryker as anywhere close to that poor of quality. That is why you can buy a new Chinese scooter for $600 and the reverse trike for $1500 they are sold on price only and have no support whatsoever. If the people looking at F3 and Ryker realize they are totally different they will see what each one is good at and not so good at. But I have owned both and the Can Am is not a Chinese scooter quality. farmer54

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with saying a Ryker won't do what you want it to do, but to say it is poorly made is outright wrong. Some say the Ryker can't do this or that, but I also remember when the F3 came out, the same things were said about the F3. It's so funny how people will say negative things about something they don't like or don't want. There's nothing wrong with us stating our opinions but we should be careful stating them as facts if the aren't factual. I am getting a Ryker or F3 so I have been comparing both of them for my needs. I have ridden 2 different Ryker's and 2 different F3 for well over 100 miles. If the quality was poor on the Ryker it would make my decision so much easier.

Spyder Garage

I’m in MA and temps hit 58F...Took the Ryker our for a good 30 mile ride and enjoyed every minute!!
    Very pleased with my purchase! Can’t wait for the weather to break! #TeamRyker

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    There's nothing wrong with us stating our opinions but we should be careful stating them as facts if the aren't factual.
    That is exactly why I said "In my opinion". Now, part of my opinion may have come from the fact that the ryker that I drove was a demo model, and the first one put together by this dealership. Maybe it wasn't put together or adjusted properly, or it could have been abused during repeated use. But the clamp for adjusting the handle bars was very hard to adjust, and really didn't lock into place properly. As for the panels, some of them were scratched pretty bad, from general use, and other items were kind of hard to move (such as parking brake). Again, this was just my personal opinion when comparing it to the spyder. Would I buy one? If I can convince the wife to ride, YES! Would I replace any of the spyders that I have owned with one? Never. We each have a choice, and I respect anyones choice, and ride with anyone who is on the road.
    BTW, my purchases are more in line with how the company stands behind their product more so than initial observation. And since this is backed by BRP, yes I would give it a try. Just not my first choice in their lineup.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have a Ryker. Over all, I am quite impressed with the fit and finish. There are however a couple of plastic pieces that look like they could be more easily broken. The parking brake lever is one such piece and the sliding gas port cover is the other. I'm just making sure to take care of those parts and I'm sure they will do just fine.

Spyder Garage

Is the Ryker a turn of the century, hand fitted, high-gloss blue, triple-lock Smith & Wesson -- no. Is it a tough as nails, completely dependable, moderately unusual looking, get the job done Glock -- yes.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Is the Ryker a turn of the century, hand fitted, high-gloss blue, triple-lock Smith & Wesson -- no. Is it a tough as nails, completely dependable, moderately unusual looking, get the job done Glock -- yes.
    I couldn't have said it any better.

Spyder Garage

Been riding my ryker since dec 21. Too cold for this old body of mine so only have 600 miles on it. Some may not like the rough black plastic body of the ryker. I don't either but it sure is easy to clean. Hose it down, scrub the dirt off with a sponge, and it's ready to ride again. I'm very picky about everything on my bikes and i have a few items i need to fix. I need footpeg's further forward for my long legs. Right now it looks like i'm sitting on a standard bike(lower legs straight up and down). I would rather stretch them out some. I would also like plain handlebars with one setting that fits me. Don't need a adjustable mount. I also don't like the factory passenger seat, so i guess i will make my own. Maybe some day i'll mold a glass body to fit the stock mounts so i can paint it Kandy Red. Keep on riding.

Spyder Garage

per my other thread - the accessories could fit a little better AND BRP could provide better instructions for installing them (i think members on this forum will have more knowledge than dealers for a while). That said, the bike itself is pretty fun and I actually prefer the plastic because this is going to be my ride during the winter when there is salt on the road. It's been a few years since i sold my '12 RS, but this ryker does not leave anything to be desired in the riding category