Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Garmin Zumo GPS Holder for F3 models

Still awaiting delivery of my new 2019 F3 LTD. After reading forum entries about Genius / Sygic apps used with an Android phone thru BRP Connect, I'd think I'd like to continue using my Garmin 660LM and have looked at the Garmin GPS Holder, BRP part number 219400912 (which superceded 219400681). Has anyone mounted this on their F3 series machine and why the updated part number? I downloaded the BRP installation instructions but they're mostly pictorials with very little verbage. Maybe they'll be more clear to me once I get the machine and get into it. Seems expensive at $249 USD but they show a power lead as well as an audio lead. Any advice would be appreciated.
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a Zumo 390 on my ‘17 F3L. I mounted the gps on a Lamonster power plate on the center handlebar mount. Also lave a dual USB port on one side and a power outlet on the other side of plate that I use to plugin battery tender. Works and looks great. Bike is in storage or i’d Send a pic. I hard wired the gps and plated directly to battery.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also have the same set up as garyinWI.

IMG_6236.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillywhisperer View Post
    I also have the same set up as garyinWI.

IMG_6236.jpg
    I've looked at the Lamonster mount and I like it. Looking at your pic, I see the Garmin mount in the center with it's waterproof cover. Wiring directly to the battery is fine for the USB and power outlets, but I need the actual Garmin mount in the center to become hot when the ignition is turned on and go dead when the ignition is turned off. Have you wired it this way? It appears that the BRP Garmin mount does go hot with the ignition. If I could accomplish that and use the Lamonster mount that would be less expensive for sure.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Still awaiting delivery of my new 2019 F3 LTD. After reading forum entries about Genius / Sygic apps used with an Android phone thru BRP Connect, I'd think I'd like to continue using my Garmin 660LM and have looked at the Garmin GPS Holder, BRP part number 219400912 (which superceded 219400681). Has anyone mounted this on their F3 series machine and why the updated part number? I downloaded the BRP installation instructions but they're mostly pictorials with very little verbage. Maybe they'll be more clear to me once I get the machine and get into it. Seems expensive at $249 USD but they show a power lead as well as an audio lead. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Be careful with the Garmin half of the mount …. each of the Garmin devices has a unique cradle and they DO NOT interchange between the devices. So, make sure you are picking a cradle that is compatible with the 660 (a 590 cradle is not). Cannot tell from your post if you are looking at the mount plate the Garmin harness bolts to or the Garmin harness itself (I think it is just the hardware and not the harness … just want to be sure you get all the correct parts for the 660).

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Be careful with the Garmin half of the mount …. each of the Garmin devices has a unique cradle and they DO NOT interchange between the devices. So, make sure you are picking a cradle that is compatible with the 660 (a 590 cradle is not). Cannot tell from your post if you are looking at the mount plate the Garmin harness bolts to or the Garmin harness itself (I think it is just the hardware and not the harness … just want to be sure you get all the correct parts for the 660).

All the best …. Ann

Thanks Ann,

Actually, I already have the cradle (and wiring harness) for my Garmin 660 which I used on my last ride. Had it wired to an accessory terminal on the fuse block which became hot when the ignition was turned on. I need to know if there is some way to wire it up to my new Spyder so it's hot only when the ignition is on. I know there are customer accessory wires under the left service panel but I don't know it they are hot all the time or only when the ignition is on. So that's my predicament. I'm sure I can use something like the Lamonster mount and go to the battery for USB power, etc. but the actual Garmin harness is what I'm trying to figure out how to wire. Since I leave the GPS on the bike pretty much all the time I need it to just go on and off with the ignition. If anyone knows how to do this I'd appreciate some guidance.

Spyder Garage

I have the same Lamonster set up on my F3T, and wired the GPS mount into the factory "customer accessory" leads behind the panel on the left side of the bike. Only hot when the engine is running.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbachli View Post
    I have the same Lamonster set up on my F3T, and wired the GPS mount into the factory "customer accessory" leads behind the panel on the left side of the bike. Only hot when the engine is running.
    One of the customer accessory spots is a good option if you only want it hot when the engine is running. If you would prefer to have a "switched hot" (on when the key is on), then the F3 has an unused pluggable port on the left side under the back cover -- interestingly enough, it is called "GPS2" in the wiring diagrams. I plan to use this as the switched hot for a CB I am going to install, but it should work for the Garmin.

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    One of the customer accessory spots is a good option if you only want it hot when the engine is running. If you would prefer to have a "switched hot" (on when the key is on), then the F3 has an unused pluggable port on the left side under the back cover -- interestingly enough, it is called "GPS2" in the wiring diagrams. I plan to use this as the switched hot for a CB I am going to install, but it should work for the Garmin.

All the best …. Ann
    Tbachli and Cowgirl - thanks for the input. Looks like I've got an answer. If I don't use one of your suggestions, I'll go directly to the battery and switch the lead to the GPS so I can manually turn it on /off with a switch.
    Much appreciated, Dan

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

You should use the GPS connector under the left side panel (not the customer accessory). It comes on with the key and then shuts off with the key after about a 10 second delay. The wires are shown in this pic and details are here >CLICK ME< for how to wire up the audio out.

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    You should use the GPS connector under the left side panel (not the customer accessory). It comes on with the key and then shuts off with the key after about a 10 second delay. The wires are shown in this pic for how to wire up the audio out.
    Rattlebars, thanks, I am aware of the OEM GPS connectors under the left side panel (for models with a radio). I obtained this info from BRP installations instructions, although their PDF instructions didn't specify exactly what connectors are used. Looks like standard 1/8" male/female type for the audio, but the power plug looks like something else from the pics. The instruction sheet also did not specify that the power wire went on/off with the key, so that's good news. PS: dealer says delivery within the next 10 days - whoopie

From the BRP instruction sheet:
    F3 Ltd GPS wiring OEM.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have experience with exactly ONE F3-t. MY 2016. I have no experience with any other Sypder. I assume that if there is a post on this board, it's about an F3. With that in mind, these connectors for power is what I used to get +12v & -12v at the power plug for GPS. The audio plug is merely a 1/8" headphone style MALE designed to plug into your Phone/Zumo audio out which is 1/8" female. One can run that up the the GPS unit mounted on the bars using a standard headphone extension cord.

Connector for the GPS power circuit: >CLICK ME<
    Extension cord for audio 96 FEET): >CLICK ME<
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=LifeLongRider;1416228]Rattlebars, thanks, I am aware of the OEM GPS connectors under the left side panel (for models with a radio). I obtained this info from BRP installations instructions, although their PDF instructions didn't specify exactly what connectors are used. Looks like standard 1/8" male/female type for the audio, but the power plug looks like something else from the pics. The instruction sheet also did not specify that the power wire went on/off with the key, so that's good news. PS: dealer says delivery within the next 10 days - whoopie

Be aware that for some unknown reason BRP in 2018 reversed the wiring on this plug. So when I moved our Garmin 595 from our 2014 RT to my wife's 2018 F3L I had to reverse my wiring on the power plug otherwise it would have been power to ground and vise versa.
    Once that was done it works as it should.
    I had considered using the acceries power, but those only power up when the Spyder is running where as the GPS wiring powers up when the key is turned on allowing you to check/adjust your GPS without having to run the Spyder.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Rattlebars: Thanks for the tip on the connectors

Quote Originally Posted by pw2013stl View Post
    Be aware that for some unknown reason brp in 2018 reversed the wiring on this plug. So when i moved our garmin 595 from our 2014 rt to my wife's 2018 f3l i had to reverse my wiring on the power plug otherwise it would have been power to ground and vise versa. Once that was done it works as it should.
    Not quite sure what you mean by BRP reversing the wiring on the GPS power plug. My bike is a 2019 F3 Ltd so it should be the same as your 2018 I presume. Question: does this plug (Muyi 2-pin) as shown in the pic look like the correct one to connect to the GPS power plug on the Spyder? Are the positive and negative correctly oriented to plug directly into the GPS power plug on the 2018/2019s? If so, I'll go ahead and order these. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MUYI 2 Pin Connector.jpg

Spyder Garage

Not quite sure what you mean by BRP reversing the wiring on the GPS power plug. My bike is a 2019 F3 Ltd so it should be the same as your 2018 I presume. Question: does this plug (Muyi 2-pin) as shown in the pic look like the correct one to connect to the GPS power plug on the Spyder? Are the positive and negative correctly oriented to plug directly into the GPS power plug on the 2018/2019s? If so, I'll go ahead and order these. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MUYI 2 Pin Connector.jpg
    Kind of highjacking thread, but......Saw you had a 2019 F3 Limited, so believe you have BRP Connect, Do you know what version of software you are running? Not sure if you are following the thread about the software, but some of us are trying to understand if version 20.3 fixes some key issues. Would think one as new as yours may have come with it. Main interest, will that version allow FM to a headset. Thanks, if you have a chance to look......
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    Kind of highjacking thread, but......Saw you had a 2019 F3 Limited, so believe you have BRP Connect, Do you know what version of software you are running? Not sure if you are following the thread about the software, but some of us are trying to understand if version 20.3 fixes some key issues. Would think one as new as yours may have come with it. Main interest, will that version allow FM to a headset. Thanks, if you have a chance to look......
    McClendons: Dealer called and says this Saturday for delivery of my new 2019 (they have a few accessories to install first). I'm familiar with the software version issue. I'll follow that thread and try to let you know.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Allot of people are following, appreciate the assist.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

MUYI 2 Pin Connector.jpg
    This only pertains to the GPS plug on the 2018 and maybe the 2019's as well. Lamont discovered this issue and for awhile was providing the pictured plug conversion with his light kits. Since then he has stopped providing this as there was too much confusion, and has everything hooking up to the accessory wiring. I did not use his convertor plugs(only because I did not find this until after I wired it), and just rewired my plug end from my GPS wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    This only pertains to the GPS plug on the 2018 and maybe the 2019's as well. Lamont discovered this issue and for awhile was providing the pictured plug conversion with his light kits. Since then he has stopped providing this as there was too much confusion, and has everything hooking up to the accessory wiring. I did not use his convertor plugs(only because I did not find this until after I wired it), and just rewired my plug end from my GPS wire.
    PW2013STL: thanks for this information. I'm going to go ahead and use the GPS plug. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out the correct polarity with a multi-meter.

Spyder Garage

Just as a notice for F3S has it's GPS connector on the right side.
    Except for European models where it's located on the left side.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

One should always test polarity any circuit or plug added before actually using it. Rule of thumb?

Spyder Garage

That’s what I did too. It wasn’t that hard at all to connect it up.

2017 F3 Limited
    Position 5 brake rod and foot pads
    Garmin Zumo 396 GPS
    Lamonster bottle holder
    ShowChrome spiral antenna
    Lamonster 19” Freedom Shield Windshield

Spyder Garage

Ok, so I mounted the Lamonster GPS holder today on my 2019 F3 LTD. Next step is run the wires from my Garmin cradle down to the GPS power and audio plugs on the left side. Question is, once I'm all hooked up, where do I navigate to on my instrument panel to get the GPS audio out of my speakers? Anyone who has done this on a 2018 should have the answer. This BRP Connect stuff is a whole nuther learning curve

Spyder Garage

We have our GPS Bluetoothed to the Sena headset - no need to go through the speakers.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Following ur post. Hope it can be done, but do not have much confidence in bro connect. I want Bluetooth, Anza nd unfortunately bro connect does not really do that yet.....
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey