Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuasiMotard View Post
    Well, finally some truly positive news in all of this drama... BRP has updated the Ryker Operator's Manual in their download site: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...d-0294a504c709

I haven't reviewed all of the updates, but they have added a significant number of new diagrams and procedures. For example, the gearbox oil check/fill procedures are now moved down to pp.105-108 (previously pp.103-104). They have included the expanded diagrams and verbiage for the component locations.

Excellent work! I hope that they advise all current owners and dealers where to obtain the new manual. I have already printed the updated version and bound it in a 3-ring binder.

--
    QM
    Nice to see that Can-Am is responsive to the concerns of their customers. Maybe now they can address the discrepancy between their predicted fuel economy and what the owners are actually getting. I believe they will do the right thing.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    Do you think the retention rate (longer term owners) is higher amongst non previous 2-wheel riders?
    I don't know. But my experience is, those who have no 2 wheel experience take to the Spyder/Ryker much more readily right out of the gate than those with moderate to extensive 2 wheel experience. It's a mental thing going from one to the other. Those with little or no experience do not carry the 2 wheel ingrained, instinctive mental baggage that seems to be a big, initial hindrance. Believe me, I experienced it.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot of good habits that transfer from 2 wheels to 3. But there are other habits that don't work well at all. Bottom line is, it's USUALLY not the machine (not withstanding really bad alignment issues), it's the rider. Some will accept this truth and they end up with a huge smile on their face. Those who don't or won't acknowledge this fact tend not to last very long.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-06-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't know. But my experience is, those who have no 2 wheel experience take to the Spyder/Ryker much more readily right out of the gate than those with moderate to extensive 2 wheel experience. It's a mental thing going from one to the other. Those with little or no experience do not carry the 2 wheel ingrained, instinctive mental baggage that seems to be a big, initial hindrance. Believe me, I experienced it.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot of good habits that transfer from 2 wheels to 3. But there are other habits that don't work well at all. Bottom line is, it's USUALLY not the machine (not withstanding really bad alignment issues), it's the rider. Some will accept this truth and they end up with a huge smile on their face. Those who don't or won't acknowledge this fact tend not to last very long.
    I could not agree more and think what you are identifying is pre-conceived notion. For example, my experience is that it is easier to teach a novice to shoot well than someone with some minor experience. There is no time wasted on breaking bad habits before teaching good ones.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default More good news on the BRP Ryker front lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Nice to see that Can-Am is responsive to the concerns of their customers. Maybe now they can address the discrepancy between their predicted fuel economy and what the owners are actually getting. I believe they will do the right thing.
    I just received an email, and then a phone call from Olivier Dickson, a customer service representative from BRP! We talked about my issues and expectations, and he is setting up a conference call for tomorrow afternoon with their lead product developer for the Ryker platform! How's that for customer service?!!! It might have taken a few weeks to get the smoke signals up there, but they are definitely responding to my (our) concerns! Way to go BRP!

I'll post another update after the call tomorrow.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuasiMotard View Post
    I just received an email, and then a phone call from Olivier Dickson, a customer service representative from BRP! We talked about my issues and expectations, and he is setting up a conference call for tomorrow afternoon with their lead product developer for the Ryker platform! How's that for customer service?!!! It might have taken a few weeks to get the smoke signals up there, but they are definitely responding to my (our) concerns! Way to go BRP!

I'll post another update after the call tomorrow.

--
    QM
    Thank You so much for all your time & effort & info regarding some issues with the Ryker. I will be getting mine in a few days and thanks to this forum & your youtube video I am aware of some issues and I will check the gearbox oil myself. If I find the alignment to be bad I will address that also.

Many of the Ryker buyers me included are first time bike owners & have little mechanical knowledge. Most people assume when they buy something brand new there shouldn't be any major issues. Knowing about these issues can save many people in costly repairs & headaches down the road.

Are there any new updates with the gearbox issue?

Spyder Garage

I rode BMW motorcycles for years; they 'required' new washers on drain and fill plugs but I only changed them every four or five changes. Never had a leak. YMMV.

Spyder Garage

I'm a new rider, and owner of a Ryker 600. First thing I noticed off the lot was the alignment issue. It's all over the place at high speeds. Unfortunately the communication with my dealer hasn't been great to say the least, and I know they don't have the laser alignment system. Do I have any other options?? Should I contact BRP and inform them of this? It's not sitting to well with me that I just spent all this money on a product that isn't properly configured for use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bb12489 View Post
    I'm a new rider, and owner of a Ryker 600. First thing I noticed off the lot was the alignment issue. It's all over the place at high speeds. Unfortunately the communication with my dealer hasn't been great to say the least, and I know they don't have the laser alignment system. Do I have any other options?? Should I contact BRP and inform them of this? It's not sitting to well with me that I just spent all this money on a product that isn't properly configured for use.
    Contacting BRP will do you no good. If they cared they would align them properly at the factory or require dealers to laser align them before they left their shop. Best thing you can do is find the closest dealer to you that does laser alignment

Spyder Garage

BRP does not cover laser alignments as a warranty item. Its on the owner unless the dealer wants to cover it. This is also why many dealers choose not to do them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I bought a Ryker 900 today. They will deliver it to me in a week. I like the look, ease of use, speed and affordable price but lately as people start using them I keep hearing all these issues with them.

I drove it in the dealer parking lot and every time you accelerate from stop it makes an extremely loud clank sound. Only if you accelerate very slowly will it not happen.

They told me its normal and they all do that. They drove the demo model and it did it also. There was also a guy there who's owned one for 2 months and he says his does it to.

Do you guys hear a loud clank when you accelerate? I guess this is related to low oil in the gearbox.

Spyder Garage

I believe most owners will remark that it is "normal" to this machine. I personally do not believe the implementation is as good as it could be. With some practice, you can mitigate the clunk but it does take away from the spontaneity of operating the bike.

I received a phone call this evening from BRP asking me a slew of very specific questions regarding my opinions and suggestions for the Ryker. I voiced my biggest disappointment being the loud drivetrain. I told her don't get me wrong... I love the bike... just not the excessive gear lash and subsequent clunk... especially from reverse to forward. That transition startles me and my passenger sometimes.

I also echoed QuasiMotard's belief that BRP should ensure each Ryker is laser-aligned by the dealer prior to customer delivery. I suggested BRP offer to pay qualified laser alignment techs/shops to do this service for us current owners as a matter of safety.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    I believe most owners will remark that it is "normal" to this machine. I personally do not believe the implementation is as good as it could be. With some practice, you can mitigate the clunk but it does take away from the spontaneity of operating the bike.

I received a phone call this evening from BRP asking me a slew of very specific questions regarding my opinions and suggestions for the Ryker. I voiced my biggest disappointment being the loud drivetrain. I told her don't get me wrong... I love the bike... just not the excessive gear lash and subsequent clunk... especially from reverse to forward. That transition startles me and my passenger sometimes.

I also echoed QuasiMotard's belief that BRP should ensure each Ryker is laser-aligned by the dealer prior to customer delivery. I suggested BRP offer to pay qualified laser alignment techs/shops to do this service for us current owners as a matter of safety.
    Being a 900cc fast bike most people are gonna wanna accelerate pretty quick from a light or stop sign. When I test rode it at the dealer it felt & sounded like someone hit the bike with hammer when I accelerated. It seems like you have to go really slow at first then accelerate faster for the clunk to not be as loud. When I accelerated from a dead stop it went bang. It felt like i'm damaging something. I only drove it for about 7 minutes so you guys would now way more about it.

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Oil Bulletin Direct from the Dealer

This is from David Levitt, Owner of Sierra Cycles and Can-Am Dealer:

Actually this was a Service Bulletin/Recall from January (attached as a word document because the pdf file size was too large). We had a failure here at the dealership on one of our units, so yes this is in fact a thing, although this was only for the first few units that shipped back in December. There is a huge red bulletin when you (the dealer I assume) go to register the sale with Can-Am making sure the repair (inspection) has been completed.

Ride safe!

David Levitt

Owner
    Sierra Cycles
    W (520)459-2589
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    This is from David Levitt, Owner of Sierra Cycles and Can-Am Dealer:

Actually this was a Service Bulletin/Recall from January (attached as a word document). We had a failure here at the dealership on one of our units, so yes this is in fact a thing, although this was only for the first few units that shipped back in December. There is a huge red bulletin when you (the dealer I assume) go to register the sale with Can-Am making sure the repair (inspection) has been completed.

Ride safe!

David Levitt

Owner
    Sierra Cycles
    W (520)459-2589
    Thank you for the document. I think I will check it myself for piece of mind.

Spyder Garage

My Ryker purchased last spring had a completely burned up transmission/CVY within 100 miles. I never checked any of the fluids after purchase thinking that the dealer would have done that as part of the build and prep. I have no idea if it was done or not. It took almost 2 months to get the entire CVY unit replaced, thankfully under warranty.

Spyder Garage

I agree. It took a few weeks to get used to 3 wheels, but stability of 3 is a huge advantage for me, especially in the wet. If your rear wheel starts fish-tailing it's not all that scary like on 2 wheels. I liked it right from the start, the drive lash sound rarely happened going forward but will always happen in reveres due the change in shaft direction. I can remember many old cars and trucks that also had the drive lash clunk. My fuel mileage on my 900 is up to 40mph. I bought a new horn that is much less polite and am hoping to get it installed shortly if the rain here ever stops.