Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Issue Alert!

I am sure something official will be coming out soon. But I thought I'd give the heads-Up ASAP.

I just got a call from Mountain Motorsports (My dealer) saying that they have been informed by BRP that some Rykers may have been delivered without any lubricant in the gear box. Not to ride it, they will come pick it up and have it inspected by their service department to be sure it has what it needs.

If I hear anything more I will let you know. But speculating, I'd say someone has had a failure somewhere and this was the cause.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-18-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Issue

I wonder how this happened? Did an owner find it? I hope it goes well and maybe not big overall problem.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads-up on this one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Did you have oil in your rear shaft differential? The front should be lubed with the engine oil, right?
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I wonder how this happened? Did an owner find it? I hope it goes well and maybe not big overall problem.
    Like I said, this is all the information I have. My feeling is that this may be a fluke and BRP decided to look at them all rather than take a chance. It is just speculation on my part that a customer had an issue and no gear lube was discovered as the problem. The main thing right now would be for Ryker owners to check with their dealer before they do any more riding. Frankly, I am surprised and impressed that Mountain Motorsports is ahead of everyone else on this. Though it will raise some questions if no one else hears about this, if you know what I mean. It's just too early to say anything more.

Spyder Garage

Wow! An issue to be sure, but ultimately isn't this on the dealer? Allow me to explain. I was a GM dealer tech for 26 years and, on every new car we received there was a "pre-delivery inspection" during which the entire car was inspected by us (the technician). All accessories were added (hubcaps, running boards etc) all fluids checked, lug nut torque etc. That process was then charged back to the manufacturer as the first warranty claim on the unit and NOT passed on to the customer as "prep charges". Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the dealer contacted you but, considering we are being charged "prep fees, freight" etc (yes, I know some are negotiating these fees down but, by and large, we are paying them) it makes me wonder what we are getting for our money. There is absolutely NO WAY this should have made it out of the dealer's lot IMHO.
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frj322 View Post
    Wow! An issue to be sure, but ultimately isn't this on the dealer? Allow me to explain. I was a GM dealer tech for 26 years and, on every new car we received there was a "pre-delivery inspection" during which the entire car was inspected by us (the technician). All accessories were added (hubcaps, running boards etc) all fluids checked, lug nut torque etc. That process was then charged back to the manufacturer as the first warranty claim on the unit and NOT passed on to the customer as "prep charges". Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the dealer contacted you but, considering we are being charged "prep fees, freight" etc (yes, I know some are negotiating these fees down but, by and large, we are paying them) it makes me wonder what we are getting for our money. There is absolutely NO WAY this should have made it out of the dealer's lot IMHO.
    It does beg the question as to where in the life of a Ryker is the gear box lube added, and what is required by the dealership during assembly, pre-delivery inspection. Since I do not have answers to any of these questions there is no way to know where this kind of error may have occurred. If the gear box lube is supposed to be checked at the dealership before delivery then that is one thing. If this step is not required at the dealership level then the problem lies elsewhere.

It does concern me a bit that no one else has heard about this as I am not the most BRP connected person here on Spyderlovers.com.

We will see.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-18-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Is there no way for the customer to check this..?? is it a sealed unit ..?? don't know what is involved in doing the checking but the dealers will be busy when this gets spread around....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Is there no way for the customer to check this..?? is it a sealed unit ..?? don't know what is involved in doing the checking but the dealers will be busy when this gets spread around....
    really bad idea. recalls are NOT to be performed by the consumer. i have worked in automotive manufacturing quality control for years. they will notify as many as needed based on vin and when they can establish failure and clean points
    2018 f3-S , black

Spyder Garage

The manual shows the fill plug on the left side near the foot peg. When they OR You take that plug out the oil should be to the top and the drain plug is underneath. Shows it pretty good in the user manual.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Service Bulliten 2019-2

Spyder Garage

We just checked ours and it took about 2oz but it wasn't dry for sure.

Spyder Garage

Called my dealer and he looked up my VIN... Didn't think mine was affected but said to bring it in for peace of mind.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Thanks Lamont. I have taken some things off my Ryker and I don't really want it going to the dealership missing parts. I planned to check the oil level myself and this helps a lot.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-19-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Hey Lamonster, what’s your trick for checking the final drive? Read the manual and if ya get it out their way, I think it will be next to impossible to put the plug back in, short of taking the wheel off. Thanks, cueman

Spyder Garage

I got a similar call from my dealer except it was about engine oil. Then I got another call saying the SN of mine was not involved. However, when I checked the dip stick the level was at the bottom of the checkered section (using the process described in the owners manual). I added about 1/2 quart to bring it up to spec.

Update, I did check my gearbox and the level was low. I could see the gear teeth and they were wet with lubricant and did not appear discolored but I added nearly 0.5 L of 75W140 synthetic gear oil and notified my dealer. They told me to bring it in when I get a chance and they will fill out a work order to make an official record and do further inspection. I already have 200 miles on it and hope nothing in the gear box is damaged.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 01-19-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: update
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sent in a note to my dealer and they called me back this morning. They "don't think" there is an issue but they are picking up the bike Monday to inspect it. So, hopefully I'll be back on the road Tuesday (depending on weather of course).
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Hey Lamonster, what’s your trick for checking the final drive? Read the manual and if ya get it out their way, I think it will be next to impossible to put the plug back in, short of taking the wheel off. Thanks, cueman
    Has anybody checked the final drive fluid in the rear end???

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer just now and he looked up my vin and said there were no notices attached. Can I assume I'm good to go or is this something that will take BRP a few days to put out?

Spyder Garage

Just checked my gearbox and it is full. Interesting that it calls for everything from 5w-40 engine oil to 75-140 gear lube (depending on temperature). That's a pretty good spread in viscosity and lubricant type!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Just checked my gearbox and it is full. Interesting that it calls for everything from 5w-40 engine oil to 75-140 gear lube (depending on temperature). That's a pretty good spread in viscosity and lubricant type!
    Did you put a new O ring or is this one to reuse the ring if its good?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I just reused mine. I's not a crush washer, those you cannot reuse
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    It is the oil fill plug that has an O-Ring. I did not need to remove the fill plug because my gear box oil level was good. But if I had, I'd have reused the O-Ring.

The fill level plug I pulled has a copper washer which I reused. These copper washers can be reused a number of times without issue as long as they are not damaged. Same with most O-Ring applications. But the manufacturer is always going to tell you to replace them anyway.